What options are available?  I'm aware of the ACE and of course the traditional AK100 series side folders, but who else makes a folding mechanism that easily installs and holds firm? What's out there?

I have a Kvar steel folding stock on my 12ga , they fold to the Left

have one on my 7.62x39 AK aswell

the length of pull was too long for me so I drilled out the spot welds to shorten it, and with a tweak to the latching bar I can still fold it with a pro mag 12 rnd drum

Edited by wasrNwarpaint

Don't laugh but I have a Tapco. Got it when I did the conversion thinking it was only  temporary. Its solid and is the right length for me. i have one that I made but I like the Tapco.

Many call Tapco cheap but cheap is what cheap does.

Don't laugh but I have a Tapco. Got it when I did the conversion thinking it was only  temporary. Its solid and is the right length for me. i have one that I made but I like the Tapco.

Many call Tapco cheap but cheap is what cheap does.

Just don't drop it, I dropped mine once (diagonally on my couch, and a carpet floor) and it snapped right off.

I like the AK-100 stock.

I have three different styles of folders on various AK-platform rifles and shotguns. The Ace folder on my 8" S-12 is nice, but I wouldn't want it on a rifle - the only advantage I see in an Ace-style stock is the recoil pad, and the folding mechanism isn't my favorite. That you have to cut off your tang to install it is a dealbreaker for me - I would personally never cut the tang off one of my rifles or shotguns - my SBS came that way. It locks up solid when in use, but when folded it does not stay put.

The Romanian folder I have is my second favorite - very simple to operate, and locks up solidly in both open and closed positions. It fits any standard AKM rear trunnion, and requires no modifications to the weapon.

The AK-100 style folder is the best folder for an AK you can get. It's specialized, requires its own trunnion and permanent modifications to the receiver, but boy does that thing work. When in use, it feels just like a fixed stock. No wobble whatsoever. When it's folded, same story - locked up tight, no wobbling about or flopping against the receiver - it's latched directly to it. It's supposed to be a massive pain in the ass to install. Mine came that way from the factory, definitely not an install I'd want to do myself.

• Like 1

My Ace locks up great.  But I guess I'm the only one that doesn't know how to use one.  I think it's a complete pain in the ass to fold.  Nothing simple or quick about it.  I think I might hate it if I found something with a push button or the like to make operation quick and EASY.

It's supposed to be a massive pain in the ass to install. Mine came that way from the factory, definitely not an install I'd want to do myself.

If you have the skills and equipment to do it, it's not a massive PITA, but it is definitely not easy, and definitely not cheap.

Though if you have the means to put one on your rifle, I agree, it's definitely the best option, I describe it to people as a fixed stock that just happens to fold.

I have the Bonesteel/CNC Warrior left side folder with the integrated AR style buffer tube on my x39 Saiga and I love it. It locks up super tight, no wiggle or rattle what so ever, easy to release and fold/unfold and the thing is rock solid. You dont have to remove the tang either which makes it a bolt-on install.

If you like Warsaw length, the wire folders and Beryl folder are my favorite.

The wire folder isn't for everyone. Feels great to me, some people hand the rifle back because they can't even shoulder it.

• Like 1