Hey all. Be gentle but this is my first 9x19 handgun, first glock, and first just got it yesterday. I'm curious  feedback being the inquisitive type all these shots were two mags one aiming for center mass the second aiming for headshots. Semi rapid fire, certainly no delay... Which admittedly I'm not the best at double taps. From 10 yards each, second mag, headshots were kneeling the entire mag. 

KkBRE4l.jpg

Oh here's the toysshXh643.jpg

Not bad for the first time. Pistol shooting takes more concentration on the front sight than shooting a rifle. Well, just different concentration.

Practice makes perfect, they say.

• Like 1

No, I was in the band. Practice makes permanent! It's not my first time shooting just the second day of shooting with this pistol. I appreciate the reply, thank you. 

I  was not going for accuracy just combat or self defense competency, which on that torso sized target and rapid fire I feel confident. Hell I'd say about 25% of those hits I had zero focus on sight and target as I feel would represent a fair amount of self defense scenarios. Quick draw and point and shoot. So tried that with the rapid fire and losing focus but still 100% hits if anyone wants to zoom in and count them. 

Oh and the pie plate was not me all cardboard to clarify. 

Thanks  for the reply again and I welcome more feedback from others good or bad.... Don't sugar coat it.

Not trying to devalue your opinion... The not bad wasn't very reassuring tho :lol:

Not bad for the first time. Pistol shooting takes more concentration on the front sight than shooting a rifle. Well, just different concentration.

Practice makes perfect, they say.

"Perfect" Practice makes Perfect, otherwise it is just trigger finger exercise.   That is what my Team Sergeant/Pistol Coach drilled into me many years ago when we worked out at Mott Lake Compound, Fort Bragg as the primary pistol instructors.

Like Jim said, go shoot a USPSA match and you will see how your peers are doing, and you will be able to judge yourself.

Jack

Edited by JTE
  • Like 3

Looks like a dead bad guy to me... That's pretty much my level of concern with my pistol accuracy at reasonable pistol distances. In a stress situation I would be happy if my shooting was that good at 30 feet. I can dial out to 50 or 75 just playing around and do ok, but I doubt I could do it under stress.

As others have said, competitions will give you a bar to measure from. I've always wanted to try it! 

Edited by Maxwelhse

The best thing to do is shoot it. You'll get used to it with more time. That's not bad for the fist time with a new gun. I got good with my glocks, but I had to start over every time I changed sights. It was like a different gun. Enjoy.

It is a mountain, on a public range, in the Cherokee National Forest. millions  of rounds fired there safely. Thanks for your constructive criticism. :rolleyes:

I  guess I was favoring the left a bit.  I'm certain at 50 yards it was much more noticeable.

• Like 1

you neglected anything constructive or to the intent of the thread.  no diapers and no safety discussion.  so again thanks for nothing.  if you'd like to comment on my pistol shooting  you are more than welcome!

but to entertain you,  I'm curious about shallow hill?  to make you feel safe there's about 500foot of  mountain and miles of wooded forest behind out of  sight. I'll lossload another picture so you get it.

aK05P5fl.jpg

• Like 1

Safety is ALWAYS constructive. Nice! Looks like great place. Very pretty.

Minute of bad guy shooting is sufficient. Better is always good.

At the range I go to...anything on a bench MUST be pointed downrange.

hey thanks.  

is it somehow safer to have the firearms pointed at you when you walk down range? 

we don't have range officers and I'm glad I've never met one either .  I'd much rather have the freedom.  but it's for the photo anyway. 

I've shot a  lot of  lead and copper at this place.

Edited by beefcakeb0

hey thanks.  

is it somehow safer to have the firearms pointed at you when you walk down range? 

When moving up or down range, any benched firearms MUST have their actions open, and NO ONE is to touch them until the range is empty of people.

I agree. Vertical is better. At our CAS/IPSC/IDPA/etc.matches, they all must remain vertical unless YOU are the shooter, then the 170 degree rule applies.

Want a nice high power target? Fill a 4gal bucket with water. Put the lid on. Invert it and shoot just above the lid with a high powered rifle. VERY impressive. With 50BMG, you have enough time to get from behind your gun and watch the bucket fall back down into sight and lit the range.

naaaa.gif  that does sound fantastic. 

very good point in the logic between a lot of safety rules.  one club may say lay them on the bench while a  bunch of popular competitors go critica vertical including  Jerry  Mikulek. 

I've been hassled and called unsafe by armchair commandos online but in the end its down to the moment and  comfortability of each individual at that given time and place. going  back to the whole  evlblkwpn  debacle,  no one can judge another's safety levels. unless you are present witnessing dangerous activity.  my shooting holes are either private, or this one public range... and just yesterday mentioned to the other guys there( one with two sons about 4 and 7 boys and the other two older guys benchmarking hunting and scoped rifles)  how people judge the public ranges I've never had a sketchy encounter there ever.  some bear and an annoying volunteer cleanup lady but she's backed off  over the years,  and mama bear still wonders by every now and then smile.png   

I've never had to lock my action nor required to ask anyone else too,   do not feel  unsafe with them handling firearms while I'm  downrange,  unless they are taking aim of course nor do I make people unsafe feeling if I'm doing same as muzzle never pointed at another human obviously.  but if there was some aiming being done I feel very safe that they would be getting drawn down on by many including myself.  never go down unarmed!  we show off  our stuff while one may change targets but aim to the  ground/ sideways. 

I may breach some  common range etiquette  but down here we don't read or  wear shoes either B)

naaaa.gif  that does sound fantastic. 

very good point in the logic between a lot of safety rules.  one club may say lay them on the bench while a  bunch of popular competitors go critica vertical including  Jerry  Mikulek. 

I've been hassled and called unsafe by armchair commandos online but in the end its down to the moment and  comfortability of each individual at that given time and place. going  back to the whole  evlblkwpn  debacle,  no one can judge another's safety levels. unless you are present witnessing dangerous activity.  my shooting holes are either private, or this one public range... and just yesterday mentioned to the other guys there( one with two sons about 4 and 7 boys and the other two older guys benchmarking hunting and scoped rifles)  how people judge the public ranges I've never had a sketchy encounter there ever.  some bear and an annoying volunteer cleanup lady but she's backed off  over the years,  and mama bear still wonders by every now and then smile.png   

I've never had to lock my action nor required to ask anyone else too,   do not feel  unsafe with them handling firearms while I'm  downrange,  unless they are taking aim of course nor do I make people unsafe feeling if I'm doing same as muzzle never pointed at another human obviously.  but if there was some aiming being done I feel very safe that they would be getting drawn down on by many including myself.  never go down unarmed!  we show off  our stuff while one may change targets but aim to the  ground/ sideways. 

I may breach some  common range etiquette  but down here we don't read or  wear shoes either cool.png

You would not be welcome on my range, rules are generally written by people smarter than the ones that refuse to follow them.

see there's no refusal... I'm not using your range nor invited to even browse their rules. and you miss how illogical some of the sheep  following rules actually are.

how did this get drawn back off  topic into  arbitrary  rules and how unsafe I am?

I agree with Beefcake about the rules. I try to avoid ranges with range officers or any authority figure, as much as possible. Been going to state game lands for years and have never had a bad experiance.

Ok now about the shooting. Your shots wernt bad but the gun is capable of better. If youre coming off of a different platform its probably the grip angle....or so Ive been told.

• Like 3

Please,  call me Bo :D 

thanks for the feedback... I'm most certain even I can perform better but this was an attempt at  killing,  fast. when I benched it and took my time I had much tighter grouping.  but this threads target was shot with speed in mind.  I'm glad that I can get positive criticism  about my obvious need to improve.  next time I'll do a  precision attempt and another rapid fire. 

The Glock grip angle does trip a lot of people up. I personally like it a lot and am a much better shooter with my Glock than I am with other similar pistols. It just seems to suit me better. Some people love it, some people hate it. If you like the feel of the gun you'll get dialed in to where you want to be in no time.

You talking about shooting pistol at 50 yards makes me think I'm not training enough, or correctly, with a pistol. I doubt I could hit much more than a barn at 150 feet out with a handgun. Do most people realistically train at that distance?

do not feel  unsafe with them handling firearms while I'm  downrange,

I don't want to beat this topic to death because an earful is already out there, but I encourage you to think hard about the decision to walk down range while other shooters have weapons in their hands. Even if you know the people are "safe" accidents do happen and I'd prefer not to see a thread in memory of good old beefcake0.

:)  thanks 

I love the feel absolutely!  and I'm happy with that rapid fire, I know that I could get tighter groups if/ when I try but realistically a  bad guy won't wait for you to do everything perfect you need to be able to point shoot.

the 50 yard  stuff is just play,  but it feels nice to know that you can if needed!  the public range only has 25,50, and 100 so iw usually walk about halfway to the 25 to fire pistol or bring a  target stand for the grass between the 100. I like 10 yards the best. 

and you may have missed it but I feel safe with them not pointed at me while being held and must people help keep that a  non issue here.  if they are muzzle sweeping they get called out for sure

smile.png  thanks 

I love the feel absolutely!  and I'm happy with that rapid fire, I know that I could get tighter groups if/ when I try but realistically a  bad guy won't wait for you to do everything perfect you need to be able to point shoot.

the 50 yard  stuff is just play,  but it feels nice to know that you can if needed!  the public range only has 25,50, and 100 so iw usually walk about halfway to the 25 to fire pistol or bring a  target stand for the grass between the 100. I like 10 yards the best. 

and you may have missed it but I feel safe with them not pointed at me while being held and must people help keep that a  non issue here.  if they are muzzle sweeping they get called out for sure

Sounds like another Glock lover is born into the world! Mine certainly shoots plenty quick enough on follow up shots and the trigger reset is plenty crisp for my taste. There is also the obvious advantage of having a fairly good capacity magazine which makes quick follow-up shots a more realistic training exercise than doing a bunch of reloading drills and such with something like a 1911 or a wheel gun (just my personal opinion... nothing wrong with any approach).

Most of my pistol shooting is probably 10-20 yards. My hope is that the bad guy won't know how to shoot anyhow.

I didn't miss your comment. I'm just encouraging you to think about it. I personally can't see very well with my back turned. I'm also not screaming that you're unsafe or any of that stuff. I haven't shot with you so I simply do not know how you handle firearms and nothing on the internet is going to prove anything to me one way or the other. You seem worthy of not being accidentally shot in the back though. smile.png

Oh.. I also plan to steal your paper plate target idea. That's so simple and cheap yet I'm too dumb to have thought of it myself.

Edited by Maxwelhse

Which model Glock are you shooting?  This would help in determining just how bad your shooting really is:)   

You are definitely trying to shoot faster than you can see.  Accept the fact that you need to start out slow, call every shot, develop your eye speed and work on recoil management.

Your pretty much just wasting ammunition if you don't have a goal and work on the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship.  Stance, grip, breathing, sight alignment, trigger control and follow through.

No matter how fast you learn how to shoot, the fundamentals are always in play!!  It is your foundation for proper development.

Jack

• Like 4

Which model Glock are you shooting?  This would help in determining just how bad your shooting really is:)   

You are definitely trying to shoot faster than you can see.  Accept the fact that you need to start out slow, call every shot, develop your eye speed and work on recoil management.

Your pretty much just wasting ammunition if you don't have a goal and work on the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship.  Stance, grip, breathing, sight alignment, trigger control and follow through.

No matter how fast you learn how to shoot, the fundamentals are always in play!!  It is your foundation for proper development.

Jack

Jack,  mentioned in the OP  along with a  pic  :-P     it's an olive  drag ! 

I do admit I was going beyond my skill level including  eye speed, and recoil management.  but am aware that slow shooting and precision shooting which I'd actually prefer to bring home one ragged hole than 30 something torso hits.  with that said  I most[eee I just received the pistol Friday and have much travel to do and was mostly running a  personal certification.  these soda crate boxes are perfect torso size.  if you hold that on your body centered 90% of them were com hits.  in other words I am at a rest area now with my new od  g19 fully loaded and ready to rumble within 12  yards.  in that regard I feel it wasn't a  waste but agree that once I  return I'll work on precision shooting.

one thing that I will mention that you brought up;

"Stance, grip, breathing, sight alignment, trigger control and follow through." I did try to maintain proper all of this sans breathing while doing this rapid fire edc  feel good  shoot.

anyone going to bonnaroo hmu!  got a  freehotel I'm about to check into.

Keep practicing, I'm no great shooter, Glock 17, RDS, thumb rest

Here's my 6 shots on a 2/3 IPSC, I'm too lazy to look it up, but between 2 -2.5 seconds at 12-13 yds

XuvMJG3l.jpgn

hey other than the 2 seconds,  which I admittedly have no where near enough trigger time for that speed,  but add 2 seconds and that's about what 6 shots of mine look like imo!  Damn good shooting that quick. only thing I can run like that is my s12

• 3 weeks later...

I usually set my steel target (8x14") at 25 yards for pistols, and usually manage to hit it consistently.

My opinion on shooting things at "longer" distance like that is that if you can do it at long range, you can do it even better/faster closer.

I tested that theory once with a guy that I see at the range pretty often, he shot his G17 at his close steel target and hit about half the time, I asked if I could try with my G17, and only missed once or twice. biggrin.png  I would like to do some more shooting up close, it's fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack

Jack,  mentioned in the OP  along with a  pic  :-P     it's an olive  drag ! 

I do admit I was going beyond my skill level including  eye speed, and recoil management.  but am aware that slow shooting and precision shooting which I'd actually prefer to bring home one ragged hole than 30 something torso hits.  with that said  I most[eee I just received the pistol Friday and have much travel to do and was mostly running a  personal certification.  these soda crate boxes are perfect torso size.  if you hold that on your body centered 90% of them were com hits.  in other words I am at a rest area now with my new od  g19 fully loaded and ready to rumble within 12  yards.  in that regard I feel it wasn't a  waste but agree that once I  return I'll work on precision shooting.

one thing that I will mention that you brought up;

"Stance, grip, breathing, sight alignment, trigger control and follow through." I did try to maintain proper all of this sans breathing while doing this rapid fire edc  feel good  shoot.

anyone going to bonnaroo hmu!  got a  freehotel I'm about to check into.

Keep practicing, I'm no great shooter, Glock 17, RDS, thumb rest

Here's my 6 shots on a 2/3 IPSC, I'm too lazy to look it up, but between 2 -2.5 seconds at 12-13 yds

XuvMJG3l.jpgn

hey other than the 2 seconds,  which I admittedly have no where near enough trigger time for that speed,  but add 2 seconds and that's about what 6 shots of mine look like imo!  Damn good shooting that quick. only thing I can run like that is my s12

I should have added , the 2.5 sec is from buzzer to last shot, DRAW is included, which I'm slow at

Well then that's really fast. I'm no competitive shooter, although I'd love to and have wanted to for a long time now. I've always wanted to run a 3 gun thing locally on some farm land or something. I think it would be a blast!

Here's an update, I lost my glasses being too fucked up on the river two weeks ago and decided to try my shooting skills without them(been wearing glasses for about 14 years straight now).

I think I did fairly well from a draw, barely able to see, from 10 yards, rapid fire mag dump as if in a self defense scenario, drug hopped up meth head.IMAG0156.jpg

Looking at that paper, I think if you just forced yourself to go a shade slower, you could probably do alright in local IDPA matches. Have you looked into that? All you have to do to score well is make yourself aim well, and avoid making mistakes like unnecessary movement or fumbling for mags. 

3 gun would be great, but if you just want to show up and roll for about $10. IDPA is a great way to get started and it is fun on its own. It is more focused on accuracy and defensive tactics vs the all out race you find in USPSA (IPSC) / "" multigun/ 3 gun. On the upside, it is very easy to get into and you can have fun with a much lower investment of time and cash. Also a lot of the skills are transferable. Odds are you already have more than enough stuff to play. 

All you need is a basic concealable holster, a non-fancy pistol, and 3 magazines.

I am not trying to talk you out of 3 gun- I hope to go there myself. Instead I am saying get started with something. This is the easiest to get into, except for maybe a pin league or steel challenge. It's kind of a gateway, because it gets you used to the range rules and the pressure of moving and shooting under a clock, but with less overall stuff to keep track of. IPSC/USPSA will give you a higher round count which is fun, but it means you need a lot more in your ammo budget and more practice time to be competitive. Also, you can always do all of the above.

Thanks for the encouragement...I meant create my own competitive arena. But joining into one would be neat as well, my tattoo guy belongs the the nearest club and they do some pistol every third Saturday of the month.

That target was just rapid fire, I do shoot slowly :evil: sometimes