Thanks to all! My Canis (Texas AK) adapter is installed

It is with warm thanks to all who have shared their know how in videos and advice installing the (MSA, Texas AK  and now Canis adapter) on this forum.

First! Texas AK and Canis Have merged.

Second I used a dremel with a 9902 carbide bit and took it slow (about 3 hours off and on) I had a 9903 but the 9902 did most of the work.

Metal never got hot but the dill did.

Went by the milling instructions that came with the adapter and when I hit .89 in depth, Bang! It snapped in and the pmag fit perfect. Had to grind the AK mag release rivets a little so the adapters release lever would work but it went great

Old Saiga Mags work perfect.

Pmag needs a bullet guide but I expected that I would need one and it is on its way. 

I had a great time doing it and a big thanks to all of you.

This is a great fourm

Bullet guide should be here this week, ordered it from Carolina Shooters because Dinzag was a week or two out.

I guess the older Saigas did not need a bullet guide but the ones with a dimple do.

When I checked it out the left side of the Pmag fed great but the right side was about a 1/8th inch low, hitting the end of the chamber.

The great thing is, it will now use a big selection of mags AK and AR.

I was never concerned with the cracking myth, it was the price $79 and having some rare time to do it.

If I had a mill it would take about 20-30 minutes to do the job its really that easy.

Think I will try to find a Saiga 223 somewhere and convert it for my brother with Canis's other adapter

Edited by jerry52
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got to our local public range to test out some reloads I have been working on and to test the Canis AR conversion to my Saiga.

It worked flawlessly, I mean perfect.

I let a few AR people shoot it and they fell in love with the gun right away. One said its shoots so smooth,another said" I want one."

The only problem I had doing this conversion was breaking the tap off while installing the bullet guide (just froze it and punched it out, 10 min,) and the Carolina bullet guide did not work, so I had to make one with less taper.

Going to order  a half a dozen mags this month, Boy do i love this gun.

• Like 1

This was going to be my project for this year!

UNFORTUNATELY

The State of Maryland has decided to suspend the ability to legally buy any  AK.

SO---  This years project is to MOVE TO A FREE STATE!

NEXT YEAR'S PROJECT:  Get a 5.56 Saiga and install BG and adapter!

• Like 1

Finally got to our local public range to test out some reloads I have been working on and to test the Canis AR conversion to my Saiga.

It worked flawlessly, I mean perfect.

I let a few AR people shoot it and they fell in love with the gun right away. One said its shoots so smooth,another said" I want one."

The only problem I had doing this conversion was breaking the tap off while installing the bullet guide (just froze it and punched it out, 10 min,) and the Carolina bullet guide did not work, so I had to make one with less taper.

Going to order  a half a dozen mags this month, Boy do i love this gun.

DSGARMS has a fourth of july special on PMags 10 black Gen 2 for $79.95 with free shipping

• Like 1

I must be thick as a damn brick.  Does this take the rock and lock outta the AK platform?  I'm assuming your gun is .223?  Can you use steel 7.62x39 mags with this?  Inquiring minds want to know...

I must be thick as a damn brick.  Does this take the rock and lock outta the AK platform?  I'm assuming your gun is .223?  Can you use steel 7.62x39 mags with this?  Inquiring minds want to know...

John I know what you are saying. It took me a long long time to make the move.

But  you got to know that  this adapter in the 223  is a beautiful thing , it is a better gun that can shoot all mags in its cal, making it super flexible.

I was set on not converting it but the price went down and a little voice said "A hell go for it, if you ruin the gun  just get another"

The fact is I had a great time doing it. I do not have to use AR mags if I do Not want to. The fact is I want to.

This is my go to gun for SHTF times, that's why I chose a 223 AK format. Common ammo for the USA and now I can use the AK format.

I feel guns need to be like hunting dogs , you need to have them for a functional purpose. I say this with one exception and that is my Ruger 22/45 Lite that broke down at the range and will be going back to the factory

This is nice because you can still use AK mags. Im still leaning towards sending my saiga 223 to Definitive arms just for the last round bolt hold open feature. Im not sure though, I doubt I would want to use anything other than AR mags if I had either adaptor.

But  you got to know that  this adapter in the 223  is a beautiful thing , it is a better gun that can shoot all mags in its cal, making it super flexible.

I was set on not converting it but the price went down and a little voice said "A hell go for it, if you ruin the gun  just get another"

The fact is I had a great time doing it. I do not have to use AR mags if I do Not want to. The fact is I want to.

This is my go to gun for SHTF times, that's why I chose a 223 AK format. Common ammo for the USA and now I can use the AK format.

I feel guns need to be like hunting dogs , you need to have them for a functional purpose. I say this with one exception and that is my Ruger 22/45 Lite that broke down at the range and will be going back to the factory

I'd like to have one on my Saiga 7.62x39 but don't want to get rid of all of the steel mags I have for this.  You say I can use my steel mags, so my question now is how will the aluminum adapter hold up to steel mags being rammed in them?

That is a good question as I am only using the poly p-mags . It  is made withe same material as a AR lower so I am sure it will hold up. Others here have posted that some mags are tight in this adapter.

But I installed it to use the lower cost p mags. I have not seen a post where they have been installed on anything but a 223 format, mancat seems to know about that.  I do not .

Edited by jerry52

technically you can use the adapter with any caliber that uses AR mags compatible with a standard multi-cal AR lower - e.g. 7.62x39. 5.56, 5.45x39, etc.

I'd like to have one on my Saiga 7.62x39 but don't want to get rid of all of the steel mags I have for this.  You say I can use my steel mags, so my question now is how will the aluminum adapter hold up to steel mags being rammed in them?

John this video shot by Scout Joe and I a few years ago should help answer that question. The material is quite hard enough to never wear out but that isn't even an issue. When using steel AK mags the adapter is simply removed and replaced with the AK mag. 

This same adapter can be fitted to any other AK and use the equivalent AR mags too.

This is nice because you can still use AK mags. Im still leaning towards sending my saiga 223 to Definitive arms just for the last round bolt hold open feature. Im not sure though, I doubt I would want to use anything other than AR mags if I had either adaptor.

It was the price that sold me $79.

technically you can use the adapter with any caliber that uses AR mags compatible with a standard multi-cal AR lower - e.g. 7.62x39. 5.56, 5.45x39, etc.

John this video shot by Scout Joe and I a few years ago should help answer that question. The material is quite hard enough to never wear out but that isn't even an issue. When using steel AK mags the adapter is simply removed and replaced with the AK mag. 

This same adapter can be fitted to any other AK and use the equivalent AR mags too.

I thought he was talking about steel AR mags

I use my steel, aluminum, and poly AR mags with mine but prefer the P Mags so they get the most use. I doubt you will have problems from wear from just "ramimng" in steel mags though. It is the mag stops on the trunnion you will actually be ramming then into so all you are going to damage if anything is your feed lips...lol. Remember what Happy Gilmore said man.... "Just taaaaap it in.....tappytaptap...taaapppp it in."  

021.gif

I'm really not messing with you here...

So...  You take the adapter off to use ak mags...

What Pmags are you using for 7.62x39???

Mine is installed on my Saiga .223 Rem. I don't have my x39 milled for one I was just mentioning the fact it will work in an x39 the same way. There are AR magazines available in this caliber. Not sure if Magpul has made any yet but I've seen metal mags before. I have some good pics somewhere of a Norinco AK someone modified for the adapter.

Ok...  So I'm finally gathering that this is beneficial to 223 but not so much for 762.  

I don't want to search for mags.  I'd love to eliminate the rock and lock, have a magwell, and use ak/pmag.  

My gun is far from traditional ak so adding such a thing (for 7.62x39) simply makes sense for me.  This product is not that "thing".