Rollin Back Them Ammo Prices at Happy Mart

Bulk 12ga and 20ga under 20$ again?!

Nope. Materials were gradually going up and profits were slimmer. The scares gave them a change to get back into profitable territory. I think $26/100 will be about as low as you can expect for a while. But markets like round numbers. So if they have it over $25, it may as well be $30. So I think it will stay at the ~$28/100 that seems to be the current norm for a year or two.

I generally agree with the gist of the article, but I think they can afford to sit on their wares to keep prices above cost of production. Materials and wages are going up, so there is no going back, but there is room to match actual value.

Bulk 12ga and 20ga under 20$ again?!

Nope. Materials were gradually going up and profits were slimmer. The scares gave them a change to get back into profitable territory. I think $26/100 will be about as low as you can expect for a while. But markets like round numbers. So if they have it over $25, it may as well be $30. So I think it will stay at the ~$28/100 that seems to be the current norm for a year or two.I generally agree with the gist of the article, but I think they can afford to sit on their wares to keep prices above cost of production. Materials and wages are going up, so there is no going back, but there is room to match actual value.

Apparently you guys don't look at the pictures. It IS 19$ Look at the tag. That's my backseat.

I zoomed in the original photo. Look at the date above barcode. 6/5/14post-48862-0-38409100-1402324916.jpg

post-48862-0-77952300-1402324766_thumb.jpg

Some of the low prices you see at the big box stores are on backorder contract prices from over a year ago. That's why you generally see Wal-Mart, Academy, etc. selling so much cheaper for a while then jump up to normal pricing. Bottom line is that raw material is in more demand now than ever and climbing. That alone will hold prices steady if not increase them in the days to come. The only inflated market is the secondary market were all the non-sense was jacking prices around. Distributor prices have been fairly constant with a few trying to artificially capitalize on the scare. Auto, computer, and so many other growing industries use the same raw materials that ammo will never be as cheap as it once was. Of course that is true of anything. The weakening dollar also doesn't help.

I was at my nearest Walmart on 6/4 and the prices were still completely astronomical.. Winchester .45acp FMJ, 100 count, $54... Box of 50 9mm that wasn't on the shelf, $22.

Walmart also varies widely in availability and price from store to store. My store across town had HPR 9mm FMJ for $13/50 a few months ago.

It's nice to see that some areas of the country are rebounding, but it isn't around here yet. I think the only hope we have is that mid terms elections are coming in November and no one wants to stick their neck out too far. I'm hoping to be able to stock some things up this summer as they trickle back in. I think .22 will still be like unicorns because practically ALL of us got caught with our pants down on that caliber. I know I plan to stack up at least 10k rounds when I find it again at affordable (meaning $25 555 packs) levels.

Was in the local wallyworld about a month back on a midweek morning and found two 333 rnd boxes of .22, snagged them up quick!! Haven't seen any since. Federal bulk pack 12 is still running around $26 . Even saw a spam can of .223, can't remember the price, was in a bit of a rush.

The walmart in PA i think in tannersville had 525 federal bulk packs on sale for 30 bucks when I was there a week ago.. i had my wife, friend, and his fiance grab a box to for me due to the stupid 1 box limit.

Some of the low prices you see at the big box stores are on backorder contract prices from over a year ago. That's why you generally see Wal-Mart, Academy, etc. selling so much cheaper for a while then jump up to normal pricing. Bottom line is that raw material is in more demand now than ever and climbing. That alone will hold prices steady if not increase them in the days to come. The only inflated market is the secondary market were all the non-sense was jacking prices around. Distributor prices have been fairly constant with a few trying to artificially capitalize on the scare. Auto, computer, and so many other growing industries use the same raw materials that ammo will never be as cheap as it once was. Of course that is true of anything. The weakening dollar also doesn't help.

this his not the case locally to me. All the Wal-Marts I frequently go to has dropped the price on 12ga 100 round federal to 19.97 from 28.97

Some of the low prices you see at the big box stores are on backorder contract prices from over a year ago. That's why you generally see Wal-Mart, Academy, etc. selling so much cheaper for a while then jump up to normal pricing. Bottom line is that raw material is in more demand now than ever and climbing. That alone will hold prices steady if not increase them in the days to come. The only inflated market is the secondary market were all the non-sense was jacking prices around. Distributor prices have been fairly constant with a few trying to artificially capitalize on the scare. Auto, computer, and so many other growing industries use the same raw materials that ammo will never be as cheap as it once was. Of course that is true of anything. The weakening dollar also doesn't help.

this his not the case locally to me. All the Wal-Marts I frequently go to has dropped the price on 12ga 100 round federal to 19.97 from 28.97

Correct. It went down because Wal-mart and most the other big box stores work on term contracts. The price dropped most likely to backordered contract orders now being filled at the old prices and thus the lower price. Give it a year and those prices will jump right back up and probably go a bit higher. It is a somewhat artificial pricepoint. Distributors and independent retail stores all sale at a typically higher price because that is more of the true current market price.  

• Like 1

This isn't a Walmart item, but check out Selway Armory, I got 1000 rounds of remanufactured .223 for under $300 shipped!  Shot some this past weekend and it runs fine.

http://www.selwayarmory.com/bvacfmj55grain500roundbox.aspx

All their prices look pretty good.  Ordered on Wednesday and got the box on Friday.  Seem like good folks.

Doug

This isn't a Walmart item, but check out Selway Armory, I got 1000 rounds of remanufactured .223 for under $300 shipped!  Shot some this past weekend and it runs fine.

http://www.selwayarmory.com/bvacfmj55grain500roundbox.aspx

All their prices look pretty good.  Ordered on Wednesday and got the box on Friday.  Seem like good folks.

Doug

Good one.  Shipping is reasonable too.

Mine had it for just under $20 and I bought what I could.. It was nice to get a good buy on it.

Maybe its been stacking up?

My understanding is that the way wall-mart works with their just in time contracts is that the price is set as a function of the wholesale price when the store places the automatic order. The local manager has some discretion to tweak the price a few percent at the time. However, if it takes a year and a half to fill that particular order, the price is still already set for that lot of goods. If this is correct, it's the opposite of stacking up, it's a result of backorders.