I've always been a plastic gun fan and have a few, but my fiance picked up at Smith and Wesson 642 for a purse gun and man I got me an itch for a revolver.  I'll still carry my .40 shield so this will be just a range toy and something to oooo and ah over.   I was pretty set on either a 686 in 6" or 5" 686 ssr pro with a 7 shot 357 mag cylinder in either.  Then I started thinking that if I'm not going to carry it, and it's only a toy, why not a 44mag, or 460?   Go big or go home type of thing.   I'm looking for anyone that has shot either and impressions and overall opinions to help me decide.  Easy to shoot 357, or big boy 629 that allows me to hunt with it as an option?

I have a Ruger Black in .357 and one in .44 mag. Both are great shooters, and a Dan Wesson in .357.

As well as an Uberti in 45 Colt. The 44 Black Hawk in my favorite, ya get to use the "Ruger only loads".bad_smile.gif

My next wheelgun will be some thing in the 50 cal range.

My 44 mag Black Hawhk

SuperBlackHawk44Mag_zpsd6a77d52.jpg

Edited by RED333

I have a 6" 686+ and I LOVE it, with all the weight of the barrel you don't get a whole lot of muzzle rise with magnum ammo, and with a little trigger work you can shoot it quick and easy.

The newer ones come with tapped holes in the frame, under the rear sight, so you can mount a scope if you wanted to. 

Don't forget about .45 LC.

I have a 70's S&W M29 with 6 1/2" and love it with .44 mag and .44 SPL.

.357 isn't a bad option, but I like big bullets.

I have had two S&W M25's .45 ACP and miss them both. (one 5" and one 3")

For bigbore revolvers, 5" - 7" seems to be ideal with moderate / stout loads.

Macbeau....

I had a 386. That's an airweight 686. It was a sweet gun it's was the 386 xl Hunter had a6" barrel. If you want a range gun that you could carry check out the nightguards. They are pretty sweet and light. Harsh recoil.

a regular S&W model 66 snubby 2-3in 357 will be just fine. The 44 is going to be a bit much. Cliche phrases like "Go big or go home" are nice and matcho and whatnot but not very usefull in the real world. First, 44 is expansive so practice will be expansive. IMO there is no point in carrying a gun if you hardly ever shoot it. The phrase "carry a lot shoot a little is BS". Second, there is some recoil. Follow up shots are almost at bolt action rifle speed. Third. Over penetration. You are responsible for your bullets and you dont know if you have to defend yourself in a crowded mall or a empty field.

one you may want to think about is the S&W 610 a 10mm revolver that's got enough punch for hunting plus you can shoot your 40 cal ammo out of it too

lot of itching going on around this forum lately.

Edited by the 4th Doctor
  • Like 1

one you may want to think about is the S&W 610 a 10mm revolver that's got enough punch for hunting plus you can shoot your 40 cal ammo out of it too

lot of itching going on around this forum lately.

Ding Ding Ding

Now that's and idea and half big_smile.gif   Didn't see that model.  I have plenty, and I mean plenty of .40 around the house.    I like the idea of having 10mm and also being able to shoot up my .40 too.    ]

To the over penetration and ammo price repsonses, this WON'T be my carry gun, so I"m not to conerned about ammo price since I won't need to practice with it. 

Off to go look for a 610 in good shape

Well scratch that 610 idea.  Looking at almost 2x the price for a 610 over a new 686+.  I can buy a lot of .357 with that money.

So if I'm staying 357 and get a 686,   are there any downsides to the slab side barrel on the 686 ssr pro?  It's got a 5 inch barrel that balances like a normal 3" gun since the side are milled off.

I like the Ruger sp101.

Why not get a gun that you have the option to carry?

The Redhawk and Blackhawks are sweet shooters too.

My 686 is going back to my father-in-law in exchange for the rights to his small gun collection after he dies. He's got a sweet Colt .45 Officers Model in Stainless, with wood grips.

Edited by Sim_Player

If I were to buy a wheel gun to just have fun shooting and never plan to carry, it would definitely be a big bore long barrel, and probably a S&W .500.

Stubby .357 is first on my list though (to carry).

Check out the Rhino in 6" and the 2" (I think), Wife bought me the 60D in 357 and I bought her the White Rhino in 2", nice shooting guns, or look at the Taurus Raging Bull in 454, ported barrel and throws fire from hell in the dark. Buddy of mine has the S&W in 500, but I don't like shooting that one, the 454 is enough pain for my wrist. 

The recoil of the Rhino is near nothing, even with 357 rounds, the shorty surprised the hell out of me on recoil, even less than my 6", but do you up some max loads with H110, have some fun, fireballs and noise.

The Sp101 my dad had was pretty, but sucked to shoot. Heavy trigger, tiny sights that were no where near point of impact, awkward ergonomics with the stock grips. It just didn't point naturally. No one who tried it liked it. 

Check out the Rhino in 6" and the 2" (I think), Wife bought me the 60D in 357 and I bought her the White Rhino in 2", nice shooting guns, or look at the Taurus Raging Bull in 454, ported barrel and throws fire from hell in the dark. Buddy of mine has the S&W in 500, but I don't like shooting that one, the 454 is enough pain for my wrist. 

The recoil of the Rhino is near nothing, even with 357 rounds, the shorty surprised the hell out of me on recoil, even less than my 6", but do you up some max loads with H110, have some fun, fireballs and noise.

The most I've largest pistol caliber I've fired is .44 mag and .50AE and I didn't consider either as abusive as some people claim. I'm thinking .500 because most guys DON'T like them so they're fairly affordable (well.. you know what I mean) second hand in very nice shape. It's nowhere near the top of my list of "must own" firearms. Just looks like fun! :)

The Sp101 my dad had was pretty, but sucked to shoot. Heavy trigger, tiny sights that were no where near point of impact, awkward ergonomics with the stock grips. It just didn't point naturally. No one who tried it liked it.

Its why I went with a Gp100. Much better IMO.

• Like 1

Now that's an itch you can scratch.  A Taurus 605 is on my list.  But then, there's always something on the list...

Ain't that the truth!!  :up:

The wife said no more guns!

And...??

No, I'm not married, why?  :huh:

:D

• Like 1