First off, new to the forums. So...hello, everyone.

Got back from some range time with my Saiga .410, break her down for a cleaning, and behold! No bead sight, anymore. I've searched the internet, this site included, but there is absolutely no answer to this question. What is the thread size for the front bead sight? Not, "What did you do with your own threading tools to make a bead sight work?". Just the standard threading, so i can just drop another bead in. Will the AK/Saiga colored sights work that they sell at Carolina Shooters Supply? Saigastock.com seems to be the only company in the world that sells the original bead, but for $40? Seems kind of ridiculous. Help! Please!

I have been wanting to try the colored sites that CSS has ,and was wondering about the thread size and if all the front sites were removable.

My site seems to be "painted" in place .....

Welcome to the forum !         The 410 section has been slow last few months ,but hopefully Cobra or one of the other regulars will see your post sooner than later  :]

me

Welcome from another newbie with a not-S12. There is a topic about bead sight thread size for 12ga, maybe it is the same (M4x.75)? Then again, you may have already found this.
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/73141-front-bead-thread-size/

I believe the AK colored sights at CSS are for regular ak front sight posts, and are a different threading (M6x.75 via the AK Files).
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78608

same thing happened to my S20. Instead of replacing a $40 bead sight, I plugged it and grabbed a fiber optic that clamps over the gas tube.
Very short sight radius, but works fine in my case.

The dimensions by all speculators are in fact, wrong. I went to a hardware store, today, and nothing matched. I have talked to MrGunsandGear, who had absolutely no idea, and my friend talked to Greg from Carolina Shooters Supply, who also had no idea. They are not the same dimensions as Ak front sight posts, nor the 20, or 12 gauge. I have purchased a 40 dollar bead sight, which is beyond me on logic, but appearantly the only ones that exsist are from saigastock.com. As if that isn't weird enough, I am not having a positive experience with that company. There is a voice recording you get every single time, without fail, that states all of their sales representatives are busy. It doesn't matter what day, or time you call...it will say this in a older, southern woman's voice. Appearantly, after several attempts to reach them, the exact same lady will eventually call you back. Meaning they have one "sales representative". Multiple problems when trying to order from them online. She stated to me yesterday morning that they would send me a confirmation email, and that my sight should arrive in two days. I have no confirmation email (which i called about twice today, left messages, and there was neither an answer, or return call, or an email that showed up). I have also been charged for the front sight three different times. Red flag, anyone?

So, received the sight, today. The lady I previously spoke of called to let me know it was on the way. I will add that she is very pleasant to talk to. My other "extra" charges had been rectified. I feel compelled to post a picture of the bead, though, as it is hilarious to think I spent a total of $45 dollars on it. Oh yeh, the shipping cost was 5.95, but clearly on the envelope it has a sticker that say $3.73. So, someone desperately needed $2.22.

• 1 month later...

Hi there. Sorry to hear about your sight. I use my wife's finger nail polish (clear) to stick sights and other small screws onto machinery. It works on all sorts of machine screws that take a hit from recoil on a weapon. All my AK's get sealed up when they are dialed in.

When it comes to finding the thread diameter and thread count per inch or whatever they go off, I take it into my gunsmith. There are a few real gunsmiths left. I define a gunsmith as someone who can take a block of steel and turn it into a weapon with a block of wood and some springs and pins. Not the guys at the shops that sell bolt on stuff. The smiths that went to a trade school for years or worked as an apprentice under a master.

Post some photos of your 410! I'm thinking about getting one and having tac47 build it for me. My daughter is just starting to shoot BB and pellet so it will be oddly similar to a shotgun made for a youth shooter! :)

Keep shooting!

Would it have been unthinkable to buy a standard front bead for some other shotgun of some American or standard make, get the thread/pitch for that and spend a few bucks buy the correct tap, and re-thread the hold for THAT bead?  just a thought...  maybe by the time you got finished, while it would have worked, you were just better off spending the 45 bucks... I just know I would have tried something else... even if it meant buying the correct tap for the EXISTING thread/pitch, cutting it off SHORT and making my OWN " bead" from that...  but then... my dremel-fu is strong!!! ROFL!!!

Glad ya got it worked out, regardless... :up:

• Like 1

Would it have been unthinkable to buy a standard front bead for some other shotgun of some American or standard make, get the thread/pitch for that and spend a few bucks buy the correct tap, and re-thread the hold for THAT bead? just a thought... maybe by the time you got finished, while it would have worked, you were just better off spending the 45 bucks... I just know I would have tried something else... even if it meant buying the correct tap for the EXISTING thread/pitch, cutting it off SHORT and making my OWN " bead" from that... but then... my dremel-fu is strong!!! ROFL!!!

Glad ya got it worked out, regardless... :up:

It's awesome when people bitch about prices after admission of having not the skill or motivation to perform said service,or manufactures a product. I suppose everybody should work for just enough to keep the lights on. Food,clothing and basic creature comforts afforded bea few bucks of profit have no place in this world of progressives.

I was just expanding on what you had said about it being unthinkable. They didn't want to do anything that wasn't factory drop in for themselves,then botched about the price.

It's just a peeve if mine when people look at some thing I've built,they want to buy and then complain the price is too high. Even after clearly stating they lack the skill,motivation,or resources to do it themselves. My quoting you wasn't in response to you,it was elaboration.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

AH!! LOL

( And even if it was... its all good, I got pretty think skin! LOL )

Like I said I wasnt QUITE following you...  and your explanation verified my thoughts on what you meant...  and damn skippy!!!!! I agree!!!!

:up:

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

You can remove it, but not without destroying the bead. Also there usually aren't threads. Think of it as a little brass rivet. So if you remove it, you will have to get another sight, i.e. hi viz or a basic bead from brownell's or somthing, then tap the hole to match the standard bead. Odds are the threads from the new one will stick through into the gas block so will need to be filed flush from the inside, taking care not to mar the gas block. For hi-viz, etc. you would want to use red loctite. With brass, I'd go one further and add some solder to the threads.

It's not a big deal, but it still requires some tools.

• 2 months later...

For what its worth... The sight picture on a 410 works . but its trash. Upgrade to something entirely different or new if possible or mount a red dot or some type of optic. Thats just my 2 cents. Ethier side scope rail or quad rail, hk style mount or weld on.. I got a 410 but its a work in progress too. Hell i havent even finished converting this one yet and its already a pain. I wish i could just afford dinzags replacement tube rearsight setup because ideally i would just revert it to tradional front and rear ak type iron sights but i dont think im going to go that route although ive seen it done.

Edited by Avtomatkalashnikov

It would be nice if all models had the 030 style sights. At least then there would be more/easier installed options. Granted they are a bit over-kill for a shotgun, especially a 410, but it would be nice.

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...