SGM mags fit Saiga & VEPR?

So here my situation which should make my question more clear.

My Saiga has a R&R well on it which is a straight feed well.

R&R makes terrific custom products but I have a limited budget so I purchased standard Saiga mags from SGM.

I modified the SGM mags by filing off the front lip and rear nock off the mag so the mag slides straight in. And then I made careful Dremel cuts along the side of the mag to match the index finger mag release/catch.

So, does anybody know or believe that these mags can be made to work in a VEPR?

I have $250 invested in competition mags I would like to not have to re-purchase if not necessary.

Thank you in advance.

SGM Vepr 12 mags can be modded to work with the Saiga 12 Version 30 (US model IZ-433). The Version 30 magwell is slightly shorter, so the mags are modded accordingly. As far as the older SGM magwell is concerned, we have modded  an SGM magwell 12 round mag that will work with both a Vepr 12 and V30 magwell. The mod required carefully shaping a metal shim, and attaching it to the front of the old Saiga Magwell mag.

We do stuff like this out of curiosity when we get bored. I do not recommend the mod for a competition gun. S12 factory LRBHO mags work brilliantly in both Vepr 12, and Saiga V30 builds. Vepr 12 factory mags - not so much, in terms of versatility.

If your gun isn't running the mags you want for competition, my best advice is to sell it, and buy one that will. A Vepr 12 is the natural choice if you like a heavier  gun, and a Version 30 build if you prefer a slightly lighter, more maneuverable  gun.

Mike

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

SGM Vepr 12 mags can be modded to work with the Saiga 12 Version 30 (US model IZ-433). The Version 30 magwell is slightly shorter, so the mags are modded accordingly.

AFAIK the VEPR12 mag is the same thing, at least for mine. One thing I have noticed is that the feed angle is NOT the same as factory!! This is fine for 00 buck but anything else, I get stove pipes..

So, what  mod are you specifically talking about? Because in my 030, the follower is too LOW compared to the factory mag. If the 030 mag well was shorter, that would make the follower too high... which it's not... 

Please clarify. I'm hoping there's a way to make my SGM mag reliable but if not then I will be contacting SGM to see if they'll take their mag back..

Edited by S12KS-K

The Vepr 12 magwell is longer (y axis) so in order for a V12 mag to fit correctly in a V30, the lug must be slightly shorter to fit the shorter V30 magwell. There are other mods that can be done to improve function, but lug thickness is the main issue.

If you have a V30 and want to run "Virgin" Vepr 12 mags, call Alex at Legion and see if he has any stock Vepr 12 magwells. The swap out is no different than removing and replacing the  V30 magwell. V12 magwells will take both factory Vepr and Saiga mags, unmodified.

We have a number of modded SGM V12 mags at the shop that we use to test both Veprs and V30s. The modded mags run well in both, the unmodded mags fit only the Vepr.

Mike

• Like 2

Interesting....  My '04 Saiga 12 that I fitted with an early Russian Magwell takes the Russian Saiga 8 rdrs, and takes the SGM Vepr 12 mag that came with my early import Vepr 12. The V-12 5rd mags will fit in the well but not quite lock in on the catch. I did hand cycle all 12 rds through my S-12 without a problem just the other day though.

Mike what needs to be done to the saiga rock n lock mags trip work in a vepr12? Just remove the front locking lug?

We fabricated brass shims to correct the fit and feed angle. Not really worth the time though.

At around $40 each, you're better off just buying mags that fit right out of the wrapper.

Mike

I modified an older JTE Magwell for the Vepr Magazines and use it on my current Saiga.  The Vepr magazines lock in and feed better than the original Saiga Magazines ever did.

Nice to be able to buy stock magazines and not have to modify them anymore.  Just round off all the sharp edges, what we call "Break" the edges/corners.

Shot it at the area 6 match and 2-3 other small competitions, hundreds of rounds and not one issue yet.

My shooting buddy in Florida has the first Competition Saiga Tony (Tromix) built a few years ago and it has the Plastic Russian Magwell on it.  Real piece of shit, but that's another story:)  Still like to fuck with Tony about that and his new best friends back then:)!!!!!

My Vepr Magazines fit it perfectly and they ran without any issues.

Jack

• Like 1

I can get some sgm saiga rock and lock magazines for a very good price locally and was think it might be worth it to buy them and mod them to fit my vepr12. Is that something you guys think would work?

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased an S433a Taktika from Legion. The SGM VEPR 12 mags work in both the S433a and V12. The factory Saiga mag works in the Vepr 12 without modification. The factory Molot mags work in the 433a with mild mod to rear lug- Takes about 8 seconds with a dremel.

• Like 1