Double Stack Pics

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are some pics of double stack mags. The exterior is currently a blank slate and not representative. Shown is an 8rd and 22rd mag. For length and width comparison there is a pic of the 8 next

The 22rd would be just over a pound I think it was vs a 2 pound md-20 or 2 pound 6 ounce (roughly) promag drum. Any capacity we release will be able to feed any mix of 2 3/4 and 3" ammo. With the ma

We definitely plan to do a Vepr mag. I've been playing with the follower design already. Also a magwell made for doubke stack mags woul still accept all other mags. The front to back dimension is t

Posted Images

I am probably biased..... Ok more likely I am strongly biased.. But here goes.

They are almost twice the width of Russian 8rd or my steel mags, which will make getting pouches interesting.. And I doubt they will fit in pants pockets comfortably, if you wear normal man pants (not skinny jeans) a Russian or steel saiga mag will fit in your back pocket fairly comfortably.. I doubt I'm the only one who values being able to pocket carry a magazine..

And yes the double stacks are about 3" shorter in the 8 round configuration, but unless your going prone the extra length is not really likely to hit anything. 

My opinion is that the double stack only really shines in capacities over 10 rounds.

+1

My opinion is that the double stack only really shines in capacities over 10 rounds.

I completely agree. The market seems well supplied with plenty of options in that size of mag. I really hope we don't end up with like 6 round "poodle's nut sack" DS mags.

I would bet he isn't... That's one thing I admit I find aggravating about the dude, he comes back on the site after going underground, drops the bomb about the double stack mags getting close to reality, then goes underground again!

His next post will probably be when he rolls them out to sell, and we will be in an info blackout until then....016.gif 

Maybe the longer he's gone, the quicker the mags will come out.........

That's Pauly's production theory anywayhaha.gif

021.gif

So when's the double stack coming?

That is the million dollar question, isn't it? We ALL wish we knew....

Maybe for some folks. Some couldn't care less. Just sayin...  To each their own I guess.

I'd rather he be slaving away in the shop to get shit done than spending all day trolling the introwebs.

I'll again say that he asked us for this feedback which leads me to believe that he wants to read it. He also has employees that have responded to the forum before.

I'm going to shoot MD an email (I've had email problems with them before so I'll use a different account) and see if we can get an update AND info about the MD-20 being discontinued (which I think is a critical issue to all S-12 members).

Here is what I sent:

Hello MD,

I've heard rumor that the MD-20 is being discontinued. Can you please clarify if that is true? If so, are springs and warranty work going to still be supported? I may be interesting in purchasing some replacement springs just to have them around.

I'm also obviously interested about any update on the DS mags. We haven't seen you around in awhile on the s-12 forum and we're all very excited even if it is just a quick drop in to say "no updates yet!".

Thanks for your time and response,

Edited by Maxwelhse

Heard back from MD! Sad days are upon us.. The MD-20 IS discontinued!!

Hello Randy. It's true that the MD-20 is no longer in production as we are working on a project that will make that drum obsolete. As far as spring and warranty work, yes. We will still honor warranties and provide springs until the run out.

As far as the Double Stack and Mike posting more on the forum, I'll leave that too mike. I will tell you that by making and experimenting with as many prototypes as we have, we've been able to change some geometry that have made some drastic improvements in function and size. Taking the extra time in this testing phase has been really beneficial.  

Thank you for the interest. We are working hard to get this perfect.

Heard back from MD! Sad days are upon us.. The MD-20 IS discontinued!!

Hello Randy. It's true that the MD-20 is no longer in production as we are working on a project that will make that drum obsolete. As far as spring and warranty work, yes. We will still honor warranties and provide springs until the run out.

As far as the Double Stack and Mike posting more on the forum, I'll leave that too mike. I will tell you that by making and experimenting with as many prototypes as we have, we've been able to change some geometry that have made some drastic improvements in function and size. Taking the extra time in this testing phase has been really beneficial.  

Thank you for the interest. We are working hard to get this perfect.

That was actually me that responded to that email. Post #50 in this thread provides some details for coming to this decision...

I thought it was you! :) and.. I get it now. I had always read that post like the "new drum" was for the VEPR. I didn't realize a new evolution of S-12 drum was coming AS WELL AS DS mags. That is completely awesome.

• Like 1

I thought it was you! smile.png and.. I get it now. I had always read that post like the "new drum" was for the VEPR. I didn't realize a new evolution of S-12 drum was coming AS WELL AS DS mags. That is completely awesome.

I'm very excited to see the pictures put on here. Folks are going to love this...

• Like 1

Honestly I bought a MD-20 last fall I still haven't shot with it yet.  

I would have to say a double stack in 10rd will be the lowest I would go for.  A little taller then a 5rd is fine, anyone want to complain about that TS.

Him saying having a drum larger then 30rds is kinda cool for the same size as the MD20.  Honestly for Drum 25rds was the sweetspot I was looking for just loading up a box of shells and having a blast but I can see having a 5rd and a 20rd drum using up a box of shells.

I dont have a factory 8rd and I would have loved to get a couple but price wise was not feasible in the economics for me.  Now a double stack in that 20rd range would be cool as well if its roughly the same size as an 8 or shorter then a 10.

Odd sizes never really pertained to me.  I like even numbers like 10, 15, 20 rds or more.  A box of shells comes in 5, 10,25,50, and more in nice round numbers.

Edited by montec
  • Like 1

Understandable - in a full size shotgun, I'm not sure I would want a smaller mag either. I want an 8-10 round mag for my SBS - it'll be about the same length as the pistol grip, and it shouldn't be so bulky that it's inconvenient to carry. When I hike in an area known to be occupied by bears or big cats, I like to carry a shotgun loaded with slugs. Right now, that means the 8" gun with a 5-round factory mag. I tried carrying with an SGM 8-round mag, and found the length inconvenient. I don't think the extra weight will be bad, so long as the sideways bulk doesn't bother me one of Mike's new mags in an 8-10 round capacity would be wonderful.

Understandable - in a full size shotgun, I'm not sure I would want a smaller mag either. I want an 8-10 round mag for my SBS - it'll be about the same length as the pistol grip, and it shouldn't be so bulky that it's inconvenient to carry. When I hike in an area known to be occupied by bears or big cats, I like to carry a shotgun loaded with slugs. Right now, that means the 8" gun with a 5-round factory mag. I tried carrying with an SGM 8-round mag, and found the length inconvenient. I don't think the extra weight will be bad, so long as the sideways bulk doesn't bother me one of Mike's new mags in an 8-10 round capacity would be wonderful.

try an SGM 12 round mini drum, they seem to be reliable, and have a small form factor.

But the time from prototype to production may have the boat already sailed.

Speaking of that... How does the import ban affect planned roll out of this product?

How does it affect the supply of your product?

Not significantly, however I have a significantly different cost structuring. Most of mine is labor, we can make 100 mags for about $2 more a unit than we can make 1000 mags.

Plastic injection molding requires a huge setup fee, that requires about 5,000+ mags to recover.. Normally lower production items are made in huge lots that are then sold over a couple years.

• Like 1

My votes are 10, 15, 20, or 25rd.

My ammo comes in 5 or 25rd boxes. I hate loading half a box or having ONE shell left over.

MY damned .40SW has 16rd mags.... x3 is 48... I HATE having the two rounds left over!

25rd = perfect.

10rd = compact.

And YEEEEEAAAAAAH, FINALLY!

I guess I might be one of the few that doesn't care how it matches up to my boxes of ammo...

I see it as being a weapon, my first concern is cramming as many rounds as possible into it without compromising the reliability and effectiveness of my weapon.

I wonder if it would cheaper for them to just make a huge batch of larger cap mags, leaving them ribbed so they can be cut down to the capacity you [the end user] want.

I am picturing my 12 round mags, which are set up that way.

Since the idea of the double stack is to increase capacity but not height, you should pick the perfect height, then maximize the capacity of that.

The factory 5 and factory 8 are the lengths that people are used to, so if you are coming out with 2 capacities, I would stay within those lengths.  So an 11 rounder and a 17

Words of wisdom.