Safety Lever Stuck. Retaining plate

So after reassembling my Saiga, the safety lever skidded over the top of the trigger legs and now my safety won't disengage.  Bumps into the back of the trigger so it won't go on safe or rotate out.  I also used a retaining plate instead of clips or a shepherds crook.  Due to these facts, I can't rotate the lever out to remove the safety or the retaining plate in order to try and remedy the safety problem.  I cant remove the trigger to rotate the safety because of the retaining plate either.  I 'm using dinzag's modified 308 FCG.

Any suggestions for I dremel cut off the retaining plate or safety?  Both are $10.  Selector is the easier target.  I can't figure out any other way to get it out at this point.

Edited by S_Mitch

Rotate the safety all the way around, in the other direction, down instead of up. You will have to pull it away from the receiver to clear the selector stop. 

Unfortunately I already tried that.  Worked on my Zastava.  On my saiga the safety lever on the inside of the receiver hits the rear trunnion and stops dead in its tracks.

Edited by S_Mitch

Have you tried pushing the trigger foward while moving the safety? Also try jiggling it while doing that. It went in its got to come out. Also try pulling the hammer spring legs off the trigger and hooking them on the hammer and tape them so they don't fly off and hurt you. This will take tension off the trigger and may make it easier to work with.

I like that idea better than mine.  Don't have anything to lose.  I may have just ended up with too much added material to the trigger with Dinzag's modified FCG in addition to my safety hating it.

Have you tried pushing the trigger foward while moving the safety? Also try jiggling it while doing that. It went in its got to come out. Also try pulling the hammer spring legs off the trigger and hooking them on the hammer and tape them so they don't fly off and hurt you. This will take tension off the trigger and may make it easier to work with.

I tried all of the above.  Some of them with excessive force probably...  The way the safety is sloped, it's much easier going down than it is back up.  I'll fight with it a bit more though.

*EDIT*

After looking at my Zastava and comparing to make sure I'm not crazy, I've confirmed that there is just too much material on the trigger leg.  Doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of clearing as it sits.  I'm going to hit either the trigger leg where material was added or the safety with a file a tad at a time til it fits.

Edited by S_Mitch

Problem solved.  I took a tiny amount of material off of the safety.  I couldn't reach the trigger leg.  Perfect.  Safety is rock solid.  Trigger has zero slop and doesn't move a hair while on safety.  Thanks for the suggestions!  I was about to make a dumb decision in a panic state!

I like the file idea over dremel. Sounds like it's not much to remove to make it work. I hear about all kinds of problems with the safety on the 308 mine hasn't had a problem. When I inset or remove it it hits the disconnector and I have to move it slightly to install but other than that no issues. I'm using a tapco g2 trigger and factory hammer.

Problem solved.  I took a tiny amount of material off of the safety.  I couldn't reach the trigger leg.  Perfect.  Safety is rock solid.  Trigger has zero slop and doesn't move a hair while on safety.  Thanks for the suggestions!  I was about to make a dumb decision in a panic state!

I had to do this to mine when I did the conversion, I don't think it has anything to with Dinzag parts, proly more to do with vodka specials.

I had to do this to mine when I did the conversion, I don't think it has anything to with Dinzag parts, proly more to do with vodka specials.

Ya.  That's what I figured.  I looked at photos of everybody else's 308 safety issues.  My safety lever has an unholy girth when compared to the other rifles I looked at.  When pitting Dinzag individual made parts against mass produced Ivan goodies, I would say Dinzags are a little more carefully made.  The additional polishing and seam removal he does on the triggers makes a huge difference when compared to my other Tapco G2.  Would buy it again in a heartbeat.