VEPR brake woes

I'm taking possession of a new VEPR 12 tomorrow, really excited.  Originally my "dream" for the gun was to chop the barrel down a little and install a CSS GK-01 clone to bring the barrel length up back to legal (SBS not legal in my state).

I read an older previous thread on the matter, as well as spoke to Shannon at Cobra's and it looks like to handle it would be far more trouble than it's worth legally for an Indiana resident, as well as probably being a better idea to get the Russian steel GK-01 throwing me further down the 922r hole.

I really love the look of the VEPR with the GK-01 however with the factory barrel length I feel like it's way too long. 

Do I have *any* other options to achieve this goal here? (Other than moving :P )  I'm completely unversed in the happenings of NFA regulations so your expertise would be appreciated. 

Thanks for your help guys!

If you don't want to cut and re-thread the barrel what other options could there be?

I agree if you are going to do it and make it permanent then do it right and get the steel GK-01

I have the CSS clone. I was also concerned about it being too long, but it's not too bad. Not worth the expense on getting it cut IMO.

Have you seen one in person. Maybe just buy a GK-01 or CSS and try it out for a little while first.

If the muzzle device is permed, it does not matter where it came from because it is now part of the barrel and not considered a separate part. I know it is confusing, but as I understand it, the muzzle device doesn't count towards 922r on a shotgun anyway. You will be GTG with a US FCG and US mag. Those are about the easiest things to swap out.

• Like 3

I have a SGM Threaded Mod Choke and the CSS GK-01 Clone Brake. It probably added a good 5-6 in. But, with everything on a Saiga 12 or VEPR 12, everything is super-sized compared to a normal AK-47 rifle. I consider mine a "mini-howitzer". Other good choices are the Bonesteel Arms Firestorm Brake, which people seem to reccomend second to the GK-01 Brake. Don't know if thats any smaller, but its less bulky and look good as well. Then, SGM sells several brakes which are smaller and ive seen people use them, but I don't know if theyre as effective as the bigger brakes like the Bonesteel or the GK-01. Tell you what though, you don't really know its there. I ordered my CSS GK-01 expecting it to add a ton of weight to the end of the barrel, to my surprise it was aluminum not steel. Until you start swinging the gun around, you don't know its there. You might as well put a feather on the end of the barrel. I have the 19" Model with folding stock and it made the barrel length for a shotgun just right for me. But, im not a short barrel guy. With the longer barrel model, though, it would probably start to become too long IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

barrage if your in no hurry i have the tools to rethread your barrel, so if you want to shorten you could just hack saw it and tap it at home.  i should be done with them in a month or so.