any lefties use the CSS Molot brake?

Hey all

I am thinking about cutting down my barrel and perming a CSS Molot brake on my S12 so the barrel is 18.1" but, I am left handed. I see the Molot copy Greg offers is made specifically for right handed people(as is the original).

My question is, how is the brake for left handers? does it push the gun in an odd or weird manner, or make a leftie shoot different because of it?

Let me know how you lefties like the CSS Molot brake.

If you can't get a response from a lefty shooter using the brake in question, maybe try one before cutting the barrel and if the muzzle flip is undesirable just clock the brake off center about 10 degrees in the opposite direction to compensate.

• Like 1

Shot 1000's of shells left handed with that brake and never noticed any odd recoil. The slots being larger on the right side never seemed to push it left at all.

thanks mordamer, I sure hope not.

You may not want to preeminently attach the CSS Molot copy seeing as its aluminum. The gases will start to erode the aluminum with each shot....

thanks blk-hwk-vet, but say what??? It will start to erode????

As a correct handed shooter with a Russian Molot brake, it has worked great for well over 500 rounds.

Thanks Red, but it is designed for correct handed shooters, us leftarded folks might have a weird push to the muzzle.

I'm a lefty.....no stinking brake on my S12, never needed one!

Thanks Jpanzer, I don't need one per say, but feel that shortening the barrel and adding the brake that looks bad ass couldn't hurt.

I have the original GK-01 and welded up the ports. on the right side.

That's a good idea, or I could open the ports on the left side more to compensate. thanks Malcolm

If you can't get a response from a lefty shooter using the brake in question, maybe try one before cutting the barrel and if the muzzle flip is undesirable just clock the brake off center about 10 degrees in the opposite direction to compensate.

Thanks Cobra, good idea, but would rather have the brake on flat. Malcolms idea seems about the best bet, for me, so far if I find the muzzle flip not to my liking. I will definitely be trying it out before I perm it on my barrel, but wanted to get opinions from other lefties and see if that brake is viable for us, or does it push the muzzle in a direction that is weird. Who wants to buy a brake for 100.00, use it, find out it isn't for you, and then have to sell it for 85.00.

• Like 1

It's definitely a viable comp and I like them.  On my personal gun I'm using the original Russian GK-01 which only had lateral ports on the right hand side.  I welded those up so there are just the "gills" and the top ports.  No lateral ports at all. I figured if I decided I need lateral ports I'd mill them in later.   I found them unnecessary and like it without any lateral ports at all.   The CSS has lateral ports on both sides, though they are larger on the right side.   I'm skeptical that there's enough gas to work the gills, the top ports AND the lateral ports -- especially lateral ports on both sides. 

thanks mordamer, I sure hope not.

You may not want to preeminently attach the CSS Molot copy seeing as its aluminum. The gases will start to erode the aluminum with each shot....

thanks blk-hwk-vet, but say what??? It will start to erode????

Yes, the gas pressures released will start to erode the aluminum over time. My GK01 has signs of erosion already. Aluminum is light, depending on the density, but not very wear resistant when it comes to the propellant gases that make a muzzle brake work. It will take a while for the erosion to start effecting the brakes performance but it will happen. 

Also I am a left handed and only handed shooter. The larger ports on the right side, that are to push left against the support hand that would be pushing right, really doesn't seem to push the gun left at all. Now Im going to do a video on this very subject with some high speed footage to no for certain. Thanks for the idea!

Edited by BLK-HWK-VET

"Correct handed" is left handed

I did not know this, as every thing made seems to be made opposite of what us correct handed shooters need. Been that way my whole life, and have just adapted...I guess I will adapt to this as well.

If you can afford to erode the original GK-01 or the copy to the point at which they no longer work well and need to be replaced, you can most certainly afford to perm a new one on there.

Yeah, if it gets too eroded, just have a new one welded on... 

It's definitely a viable comp and I like them.  On my personal gun I'm using the original Russian GK-01 which only had lateral ports on the right hand side.  I welded those up so there are just the "gills" and the top ports.  No lateral ports at all. I figured if I decided I need lateral ports I'd mill them in later.   I found them unnecessary and like it without any lateral ports at all.   The CSS has lateral ports on both sides, though they are larger on the right side.   I'm skeptical that there's enough gas to work the gills, the top ports AND the lateral ports -- especially lateral ports on both sides.

I will try it out, and see how it is, and if I need to make adjustments I will, these replies have given me some good ideas... thanks all 

Yes, the gas pressures released will start to erode the aluminum over time. My GK01 has signs of erosion already. Aluminum is light, depending on the destiny, but not very wear resistant when it comes to the propellant gases that make a muzzle brake work. It will take a while for the erosion to start effecting the brakes performance but it will happen. 

Also I am a left handed and only handed shooter. The larger ports on the right side, that are to push left against the support hand that would be pushing right, really doesn't seem to push the gun left at all. Now Im going to do a video on this very subject with some high speed footage to no for certain. Thanks for the idea!

Nice, let us know when the vid drops, i'll check it out...

• Like 1

I'm probably solving a problem that doesn't need much more solution, but having the brake hard anodized would dramatically cut down on the wear. If you're willing to wait for a shop to get a bigger order in to toss your part in with it shouldn't cost much. The default color is matte black whenever I've had stuff done.

There... I have made the wheel more rounder...

Edited by Maxwelhse

I'm probably solving a problem that doesn't need much more solution, but having the brake hard anodized would dramatically cut down on the wear. If you're willing to wait for a shop to get a bigger order in to toss your part in with it shouldn't cost much. The default color is matte black whenever I've had stuff done.

There... I have made the wheel more rounder...

This is from the description from the CSS website...hard plated with Nituf hard coating for the most durable finish possible....and even with this I have slight erosion already.

Yes, the gas pressures released will start to erode the aluminum over time. My GK01 has signs of erosion already. Aluminum is light, depending on the destiny,

HAHA, sorry just ball busting

• Like 1

Yes, the gas pressures released will start to erode the aluminum over time. My GK01 has signs of erosion already. Aluminum is light, depending on the destiny,

That's exactly what I thought when I read that lol.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I thought when I read that lol.

Sweet, must be the Arizona heet

Good one...lol

Its fixed