1x4.  3x12 is no good for any close quarter or quick reaction shooting. Too narrow a field of view. 1X can be used like iron sights, and dial 4x for distance.  Also, a 44mm objective is huge and heavy.

Myself, I only use iron sights, or occasionally 1X red dot.  If I want to shoot far, I use my 7.62x51 PTR91 with a redfield 3x9 Revenge BDC scope.

Edited by imarangemaster

On the topic of the mag coupler.... I would try handling the rifle with two loaded mags taped together before you pull the pin and buy.  Two 30 rounders, and a scope, make an AK exceptionally heavy. It also messes with the ergonomics and pointablity of the weapon. Even with lighter aluminum mags with 5.56 in it, the dynamics are changed.  Even with my lightweight M1 carbine, I don't like two 30s joined together.  

Speaking as one who has toted a long weapon for much of my 6 years military and 20 years as an LEO, you want light and handy. In an AR, I use a 20 with a 30 in the back pocket. In an M1 Carbine, a 15 rounder with two 15s in a stock pouch.  My Saiga will probabllt feature a 10 rounder in it, with a 30 in the back pocket. Even the 18 months I did as a domestic security contractor protecting the dams and power grid for Homeland security, I used a 300 BLK M4 with a 20, or M1 Carbine with a 30.  Just my experience. YMMV.