Most discreet area to engrave SBS info on?

What is the most discreet, yet legal area to engrave the SBS Trust info on?  My Form 1 should be approved very very soon & then it's off to Tromix for an 8" conversion.

Doesn't it have to be engraved a certain depth? 

Any suggestions on who to send it to?  I'm in Ohio & I think there's an engraver or two in the state, but any more options makes it that much faster.

Thanks.

I have mine on the bottom, in front of the magwell - you dont have to really take anything apart and its pretty discreet. It has to be .003 in depth and no smaller than 1/16th type (which is really small):

3451qhf.jpg

Edited by negev5021
  • Like 1

if it was my S12 I-would want to have the Tromix Mark as prominent as possible.

As I mentioned in my original post this is being engraved with MY Trust info.  Tromix is not engraving their info on it and he can only engrave on the magwell and I'd rather have my info engraved in a discreet location.  (Although having Tromix engrave their name somewhere on there isn't a bad idea)

inside the trigger guard

This isn't a bad idea, but can all info required for SBS be engraved on this small of an area?

I have mine on the bottom, in front of the magwell - you dont have to really take anything apart and its pretty discreet. It has to be .003 in depth and no smaller than 1/16th type (which is really small):

3451qhf.jpg

This seems like a decent area, is it covered by the hand guard at all?  (Is it legal to have it in an area where the hand guard covers? 

What are the other places people have done their engravings?

Are you missing your handguard in this pic?

Edited by TronJohn

if you are sending that off to a SOT, then he is going to have to log it in as a NFA item, do the modification and he is going to have to engrave  his company on it.  so there is no reason to send it off prior to that  for engraving.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I thought the same thing, but the OP says he is waiting for the form 1 to return, meaning he is the builder. It will be registered as an SBS before it hits Tromix.

I would have sent it to Tromix to convert and have them register and form 4 it out to end user - with their name as the maker.  

I bet if you send it with a 18" barrel they can engrave your info on it.

Edited by negev5021
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have suggestions on who to send this off to in order to have my Trust info engraved on the front of the magwell or even inside of the trigger guard like Ben suggests?  I'd like someone that has a nice setup so the engraving looks really professional and well done.  Maybe even laser engraving? 

Ben Vampatella - do you have any pics of the engraving done inside the trigger guard? 

Edited by TronJohn

I also have a question, what is the legality of filing a form one but sending i t to have the work done?  I want to do that with my S12.  Last time I had an SBR built, I was charged for the builders Form 1, the Form 3 and then a Form 4.  It was a parts kit Bulgy AKS-74U, well worth the money but every turn was painful.

You can always take your weapon into a local engraver. They are very good at printing on many types of metal. Most will do it right there with you so you are not in posession of it. If your corporate ID is not a family name, no reason to hide it. Put it fore or aft of the magazine and call it a day. You may have to show your papers to the storm troopers some day and if you clear and turn it over with your trust engraved on it, 9 times out of 10 you will not have to dig the copy of paperwork out of your buttstock.

negev stated the regs for the font or size and process. lazer does not cut it. a good engraver will impact the metal and even if filed down, the metal can be xrayed and the old serial or engraving will be visible.

Congrats on your new firearm. May it serve your officers for many generations.

I'm on the hunt for a local engraver, but still not opposed to shipping the saiga out to be done.

I looked at indentmarking.com website: http://identmarking.com/index.php/faq

Says they do their engraving via laser & get the .003 depth just fine? (I could be misreading it & will give them a call on monday to get a definitive answer.)

My trust is my family name, not a corporate one, so I would like it as discreet as possible.  Inside the trigger guard sounds really good, anyone have pics or know if this can be done properly/well?  Again I will ask indentmarking this suggestions as well.  Tromix is going to put a new trigger guard on with their modifications, should I remove the old trigger guard so that the engraving can be done very easy & professional?  Or would a place like indent be able to do it for me without having to remove the standard trigger guard?

I found a place that is highly recommended that is 6 minutes from me.  He does engraving via CNC.

Obviously he can easily get to the front of the magwell, but I am going to try & have him engrave inside the trigger guard.  If his machine can't engrave it there without first removing the trigger guard, I will see if he can easily/quickly/cleaning drill out the rivets to remove it.  It's being sent to Tromix for a conversion anyways so it's going to need to be removed. 

If he can't do that, I'm not really setup with a good vice in order to drill it myself so I might just go with the front of the magwell.   I was trying to compare the areas last night & it's a toss up really. 

I would get the engraving impacted but what do I know? A laser or CNC job can be filed off. The impacted method will leave an ID all they way to the other side of the metal in case of theft with a file. They do send filed off weapons to a lab to identify them. If it's on the shit list you get it back so long as the criminal didn't use it in another crime.