Greetings Fellow Enthusiasts,

When I first bought my s12 a few years back, I made an excellent decision by buying a cheap quad rail on ebay, and torqued down the wrong screws, putting two large dimples in my gas tube. Gun runs great, but I don't like looking at the gas tube. I don't want a quad rail anymore, I want a standard foreend that encapsulates both the barrel and the gas tube (all i can find only cover the barrel). A rail on the bottom would be nice, but not required. I've spent a couple hours looking, and can't find one.

Can you help a newbie out?

Pic related, How badass I felt when I got the quadrail because oper8r as fuq

post-37479-0-38652800-1403934890_thumb.jpg

As a side suggestion... Why not fill and sand the dimples, paint the gas tube and put the stock fore end back on if that's what you want? This is one of those rare applications where JB weld is appropriate for a gun. Good to 500F, holds paint, and bonds to metal very well.

I'm admittedly a bigger fan of the stuff than I would like to admit. ;)

Edited by Maxwelhse

Do what you can to rough up the dimples and general area around the JB weld with sandpaper first (you'll want to remove all of the paint) before applying it. A wire wheel and maybe some 300 grit sand paper should work dandy.

JB weld sands quick too. A medium file to knock it down fast and then some more 300-400 to smooth it would for paint should work perfect. Good luck!

Oh.. and btw - the regular stuff is about 1/3 stronger than the "quik" stuff, so I'd use that. Wait 24 hours before you start sanding it down.

Edited by Maxwelhse