Conversion-Complete?

GUYS,

THE GRIP SCREW HOLE IN THE  HOGUE GRIP IS ACTUALLY APPX. 1/4" TOO FAR TO THE REAR.

I'VE PUT PROBABLY 10 OF THESE THINGS ON VARIOUS AK RIFLES, PISTOLS, AND SHOTGUNS.

IT WAS THE SAME ON ALL OF THEM.

Uhhh...

post-33185-0-55213600-1404164506_thumb.jpg

This is my Yugo with its Hogue installed with NO modifications. It could fit a little better at the rear of the receiver (I could sand it down if I cared) but it is NOT 1/4" off front-to-back. It's not even a 1/16" off.

post-33185-0-38793200-1404164571_thumb.jpg

post-33185-0-57178300-1404164580_thumb.jpg

post-33185-0-68152900-1404164587_thumb.jpg

I'm being a little harsh here because you basically just smeared the single best AK grip for, as far as I can tell, absolutely no reason. I haven't done 10 or more AKs, just 1, and a CIA gun at that, and its 95% perfect. I fully expect to have to relocate the nut hole in my S-12 when I convert it. His gun smith f'd his gun up, not Hogue. I bought/installed  that grip about 4 years ago, FWIW and its the standard Hogue AK grip. Nothing special about the M70 it's on.

When you do your buddy's gun take some pictures and show us what is going on.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

Funny thing is....I just bought the exact same Hogue grip yesterday, took all of three minutes to install on my S308, and it fits perfectly. It looks just like the one above and I didn't do anything to it cept bolt it on what.gif

I gotta say....if I let some idiot fuck my Saiga up I would NEVER come to this site and tell about it, this is the last fuken place I would come with some shit like that haha.gif

I gotta say....if I let some idiot fuck my Saiga up I would NEVER come to this site and tell about it, this is the last fuken place I would come with some shit like that haha.gif

So if you paid someone to do something you didn't know how to do yourself and you think something is wrong, the last place you would go is a forum where people do know what is right or wrong?(or at least they like to pretend)

Never put a houge on my S12 but I have one on my X39 bolted on perfect. I grabbed a bolt on TG with a built in PG nut from CSS because I couldn't be bothered with drilling/cutting the PG hole but didn't look hard to do

• Like 1

So if you paid someone to do something you didn't know how to do yourself and you think something is wrong, the last place you would go is a forum where people do know what is right or wrong?

Hell no...this is a tough crowd around here tinfoilhat.gif  I'd proly lie and say I rescued it from a pawn shop laugh.png  then ask for suggestions, and start reading the stickys.  No sir...I would NEVER admit that I paid someone else to screw my Saiga up. Hang around a while you'll see what I mean   (all in good fun)

I'm with you, Gzus... If the guy doesn't know his gun is fucked up this seems like the EXACT place to come and ask for help. I think we'd all like to know who did it too so no one else goes to that guy.

Come to think of it... I think I have the CSS guard with the nut installed on it too. One of these days I'll have to dig my stuff out and actually convert my gun.

edit: AA posted while I was typing... I see his point now, sorta. ;)

Edited by Maxwelhse

GUYS,

THE GRIP SCREW HOLE IN THE  HOGUE GRIP IS ACTUALLY APPX. 1/4" TOO FAR TO THE REAR.

I'VE PUT PROBABLY 10 OF THESE THINGS ON VARIOUS AK RIFLES, PISTOLS, AND SHOTGUNS.

Uhhh...

attachicon.gifhorsehockey.jpg

This is my Yugo with its Hogue installed with NO modifications. It could fit a little better at the rear of the receiver (I could sand it down if I cared) but it is NOT 1/4" off front-to-back. It's not even a 1/16" off.

attachicon.gifYugo_Hogue_01_Resized.jpg

attachicon.gifYugo_Hogue_02_Resized.jpg

attachicon.gifYugo_Hogue_03_Resized.jpg

I'm being a little harsh here because you basically just smeared the single best AK grip for, as far as I can tell, absolutely no reason. I haven't done 10 or more AKs, just 1, and a CIA gun at that, and its 95% perfect. I fully expect to have to relocate the nut hole in my S-12 when I convert it. His gun smith f'd his gun up, not Hogue. I bought/installed  that grip about 4 years ago, FWIW and its the standard Hogue AK grip. Nothing special about the M70 it's on.

When you do your buddy's gun take some pictures and show us what is going on.

MAX,

ASK, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE....................

I LOVE IT WHEN SOMEONE MAKES MY ARGUEMENT FOR ME AND DOESN'T EVEN REALIZE IT...........

OK, FROM THE TOP: ON A RIFLE THAT HAS A SEPARATE PISTOL GRIP NUT, THE HOGUE'S ROOMY HOLLOW GRIP, AND THE SHORT HOGUE GRIP SCREW, IT IS POSSIBLE TO MANIPULATE ALL THREE PARTS, SO AS TO BE ABLE TO GET THE GRIP SCREW THREADED UP INTO THE GRIP NUT.

BUT WHEN YOU START CRANKING DOWN ON IT, TO FINAL TIGHTNESS, IS WHEN ODD THINGS START TO HAPPEN, LIKE IT WON'T GO ALL THE WAY UP AGAINST THE TRIGGER GUARD, OR IN YOUR CASE, THE GRIP WON'T LAY PERFECTLY FLAT AT THE BACK.

THAT'S BECAUSE THE UNDERSIDE OF THE HEAD OF THE SCREW IS NOT LAYING FLAT ON IT'S MATING SURFACE ON THE INSIDE OF THE GRIP, AND IT'S TORQUING, IF YOU WILL, THE BODY OF THE GRIP, WHERE IT MATES WITH THE UNDERSIDE OF THE RECEIVER, CAUSING, AS YOU NOTED, THE REAR OF THE GRIP NOT TO LAY FLAT, AS IT SHOULD.

I'D HAZARD A GUESS THAT IF YOU WERE TO REMOVE THAT PISTOL GRIP, YOU WILL FIND THAT THE FORWARD SIDE OF THE SCREW HOLE, IN THE HOGUE GRIP, HAS BEEN CHEWED UP BY THE THREADS OF THE SCREW, AS YOU PUT THE FINAL FEW TWISTS ON IT, BECAUSE IT WAS MISALIGNED. THE SCREW ITSELF MIGHT EVEN BE BENT A BIT. I'D FURTHER SPECULATE THAT THERES AN EYEBROW-SHAPED CUT IN THE PLASTIC WHERE THE GRIP SCREW MATES-UP BECAUSE OF THE UNEVEN BEARING OF THE UNDERSIDE OF THE HEAD OF THE GRIP SCREW.

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE ALL READ ON HERE, OF SOMEONE, USUALLY, BUT NOT ALWAYS, A NEWBIE, COMPLAINING OF THE FIT OF THEIR HOGUE GRIP, ON WHATEVER SPECIES OF AK THEY'RE WORKING ON, HMMMMMM, WELL, THAT'S WHY.

I'LL USUALLY JUST PM 'EM AND TELL 'EM WHAT TO DO AND WHY, RATHER THAN DEAL WITH THE NAYSAYERS.

AHEM............................

THE MILLED RECEIVER GUNS, OF WHICH BOTH THE MICRO C-39 AND THE FULL-SIZED C-39 PISTOL ARE, ARE DIFFERENT ANIMALS, IN THAT THEY HAVE A RIVETED-ON FIXTURE, ON THE BOTTOM OF THE RECEIVER, THAT YOU CAN'T MANIPULATE, AS YOU CAN A PISTOL GRIP NUT, SO THAT YOU CAN GET IT STARTED TO THREAD.

YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO RAISE UP THE REAR OF THE HOGUE GRIP ENOUGH TO KINDA-SORTA GET THE HOLE IN THE GRIP LINED UP WITH THE HOLE IN THE RIVETED HANGER, BUT I'M THINKIN' THAT WHEN YOU STARTED GETTING TIGHT WITH THAT THING, THE TORQUING ACTION THAT I SPOKE OF ABOVE WOULD START CAUSING ALL KINDS OF FIT ISSUES, PERHAPS EVEN WORSE THAN WITH THE PISTOL GRIP NUT TYPE, BECAUSE THERE'S NO GIVE OR MOVEMENT, WITH THAT HANGER.

IT MIGHT BE SO BAD THAT IT WOULD CRACK THE PLASTIC INSERT THAT THE GRIP SCREW TIGHTENS UP AGAINST.

AND YES, I'M WELL AWARE THAT THE HOGUE IS THE BEST AK GRIP OUT THERE, YOU YOURSELF NOTED, AND QUOTED ME, STATING THAT I'D PROBABLY INSTALLED 10 OF THEM; DO YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE KEPT INSTALLING THEM IF THERE WAS SOMETHING BETTER OUT THERE?

THEY JUST HAVE THAT ONE LITTLE KINK, WITH THE HOLE.

AND I'LL CONCEDE, AFTER JUST HAVING MESSED WITH THESE TWO C-39'S FOR THE PICTURES, THAT IT'S NOT A 1/4", IT'S ACTUALLY LIKE 3/16". THAT'S WHAT I GET FOR GOING BY MEMORY.

AND NOW, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...................THE PICTURES...........

JESS1344

post-45478-0-23281800-1404193861_thumb.jpg

OK, HERE IS THE MISALIGNMENT I SPOKE OF.

post-45478-0-69241000-1404194020_thumb.jpg

THIS IS A NEW, UNMODIFIED HOGUE GRIP

WITH SCREW. IT WILL GO ON MY BUDS

MICRO C-39.

post-45478-0-36766800-1404194126_thumb.jpg

THIS IS THE MODIFIED HOGUE GRIP THAT

I REMOVED FROM MY FULL-SIZED C-39

PISTOL, FOR THESE PICS.

post-45478-0-71337800-1404194349_thumb.jpg

THE TWO GRIPS COMPARED; BEFORE AND AFTER.

post-45478-0-07385200-1404194520_thumb.jpg

THE MODIFIED GRIP, YOU NOW HAVE A STRAIGHT

LINE-OF-SIGHT, THROUGH THE NOW ENLONGATED HOLE

IN THE GRIP, AND STRAIGHT INTO THE HOLE IN THE

HANGER (OR PISTOL GRIP NUT).

post-45478-0-17815400-1404194857_thumb.jpg

THIS IS MY BUDS MICRO C-39, WITH THE HOGUE

GRIP JUST SETTING IN PLACE, WITHOUT THE SCREW.

IT'S ALL THE WAY UP AGAINST THE TRIGGER GUARD

IN THE FRONT, AND PERFECTLY FLAT IN THE BACK.

post-45478-0-54664900-1404195169_thumb.jpg

THIS IS MY FULL-SIZED C-39, WITH THE MODIFIED

HOGUE GRIP, WITH THE WRIST BRACE AND AN

ECHO93 SLING PLATE (V3) SANDWICHED BETWEEN

THE GRIP AND THE BOTTOM OF THE RECEIVER.

AGAIN, ALL THE WAY UP AGAINST THE TRIGGER

GUARD IN THE FRONT, AND FLAT IN BACK.

THE COMBINED THICKNESS OF THE WRIST BRACE

FORK AND THE ECHO93 SLING PLATE IS .310",

SO I THINK I'LL GO HUNTIN' A LONGER SCREW,

PLUS A STAR-TYPE LOCK WASHER, MAY EVEN

GO WITH A HEX-HEAD CAP SCREW, IF I CAN FIND ONE.

post-45478-0-18754800-1404195862_thumb.jpg

THE RIVETED PISTOL GRIP HANGER ON THE MILLED

RECIEVER GUNS, SIDE VIEW.

post-45478-0-23751500-1404196019_thumb.jpg

SAME, TOP VIEW. NO GIVE TO THIS!

So if you paid someone to do something you didn't know how to do yourself and you think something is wrong, the last place you would go is a forum where people do know what is right or wrong?

Hell no...this is a tough crowd around here tinfoilhat.gif  I'd proly lie and say I rescued it from a pawn shop laugh.png  then ask for suggestions, and start reading the stickys.  No sir...I would NEVER admit that I paid someone else to screw my Saiga up. Hang around a while you'll see what I mean   (all in good fun)

this is the shit attitude we dont need. i mean this is the best place to learn how to fix a fuck up with a saiga be it yours or someone else's. i recently asked bout barrel attachments and had nearly a page of people saying i should sell my guns since i was so stupid in handloading, i mean if we cant ask people here for help then where? I understand a little good nature ragging, hell im as bad as anyone else but with nothing to contribute why say anything? and i have a friend with three aks two romny and a saiga all with the houge grip and no problems  

• Like 1

JESS - Caps lock is still considered yelling on the internet. In most modern browsers, if you hold down Ctrl and spin your mousewheel in, everything will get bigger and then you don't need to yell to read your own text.

I'm curious what you had to say, but that shit hurts my eyes.

I see you chewed up the hole but I don't see how the grip was fitted poorly before... Put a screw in it if you're trying to prove a point.

That gap you see at the back of my Hogue is about the thickness of a playing card and I'd never even noticed it before I took that picture. I'm not going to take the gun apart to see if the grip is 'chewed" up or whatever. Even if the hole is off by 3/16", the resulting installation of the grip isn't. Frankly, some preload of the grip against the trigger guard would probably be good to help keep it tight since it's only held in with 1 screw. That's the only direction it could be biased and get the result that I have with mine.

Anyhow, we've all showed our "junk" so if some member stumbles in here looking for Hogue grip info they'll be able to form their own opinion. I will continue to recommend it as an excellent direct fit part because that is flat out what mine is. Hogue also didn't screw up the OPs gun.

Edited by Maxwelhse

GUYS,

Uhhh...

attachicon.gifhorsehockey.jpg

attachicon.gifYugo_Hogue_01_Resized.jpg

MAX,

ASK, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE....................

Nice write-up and photo essay by Jess

And caps are ok

this is the shit attitude we dont need. i mean this is the best place to learn how to fix a fuck up with a saiga be it yours or someone else's. i recently asked bout barrel attachments and had nearly a page of people saying i should sell my guns since i was so stupid in handloading, i mean if we cant ask people here for help then where? I understand a little good nature ragging, hell im as bad as anyone else but with nothing to contribute why say anything? and i have a friend with three aks two romny and a saiga all with the houge grip and no problems  

You can take any post out of context and make it into something it isn't, or never was, such as you have done above. I posted in response to an accusation that all of the Hogue AK grips are 1/4 inch out of whack, which is totally erroneous. And I did offer my experience with the same grip, You can troll me if you want to, but be advised that some of your rant is actually the pot calling the kettle black. I also sell skinthickening potion on the side if you're ever interested bad_egg.gif  

I did only quote part of the post and agree on the houge grip aspect of it, love that thing, suppose I didn't get the joke so I took it wrong.

Nothin to it man....I have a cynical sense of humor at times, which tends to leave me standing all alone tinfoilhat.gif

There are some very smart people who are regulars on this forum and will go the extra mile to help someone, how ever there can be much fun had during said helpfulness. I've been around here for a while and have learned some of the ins and outs of asking certain questions, or letting certain information be known, the skin must thicken or we don't last, I've been on the receiving end plenty here. At any rate I meant no harm, best wishes beer.gif

• Like 1