AH! No trigger group parts work in my saiga!

WTF?

Tapco, Russian and Bulgarian parts. All interchanged around in different combinations too and they all have the same problem:

Disconnector does not disengage the hammer. it's as if the spring is too long and won't let the disconnector release the hammer.

The trigger hook also barely catches sometimes (hoping this is from the disconnector problem).

They didn't drill the axis pin off did they? It's like every hammer I use isn't long enough to catch the trigger hooks and any disconnector I use, foreign or domestic, doesn't work at all.

Is this malfunction specific to the .223 saiga?

Seriously, wtf? I mite cut a disconnector spring shorter and see if that works. I know tapco eff'd up a bunch of older ones but the one I got has the same depth drilled for the spring as the others.

?!?!?!?!?!

If there is too much pressure from the disconnector spring, the disconnector won't release the hammer. If this is the case, you might still be able to push backwards on the trigger to get the disconnector to release the hammer as a way of testing for too much spring pressure.

If there was no issue with the stock sporter trigger before you attempted the ak conversion, this would probably indicate that the axis pins are probably not off.

Edited by tbryanh

tbryanh is correct, if it worked before the conversion the trigger holes are not off.

now here is I would do, I would put back the original disconnector and spring and hammer, then I would look very carefully to see if the top half of the US trigger is exactly the same as the original top half the trigger, if it isn't I would file the metal off the US trigger to match exactly the original.. if the trigger works, then something on the  US trigger group  is really out of wack. then you can decide what to do next

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

I had the same thing happen to my 308 after I had squib rounds drilled out. The trigger would have to be pushed forward to reset the disconnector off the hammer. I filed the hammer at the point where the disconnector hooked. I feel like I slightly changed the angle and it made the disconnector easier to "let go" also getting a new hammer spring wouldn't just to help push the trigger back forward.

Dinzag's Tapco trigger includes the disconnector spring and should be a drop in with no gun smithing required. The part number is FCGPGC1 and it works with the bolt hold open feature. If you don't want to use the bolt hold open feature choose the NONBHOFCG option while ordering the FCGPGC1 trigger.

A better choice might be the RSA trigger. There is a little bit of a learning curve on this one and some gun smithing will probably be required too.

Edited by tbryanh
  • Like 1

All of those named parts have a casting line on the disco and hammer that should be smoothed out. This can also cause the problem listed. I would almost always advise against shortening the disco or the hammer wing. I would also almost always advise against altering the disco angle. Keep the parts from each set with eachother. The angles of each surface are matched to eachother. Bulgarians are a little different geometry from Tapco.

The video I just did, shows why shortening either hooks or discos are a very bad idea.

Also, I need to say, the spring cannot cause the problem in the way the first two posts say. The disco should be limited in its forward movement by the trigger body. This is a solid mechanical stop. An over strength or over length spring will make a stiff second stage, but cannot cause a problem with disco release in a properly tuned trigger. The release point is not supposed to be controlled by something flexible like a spring. It is supposed to occur as you release the trigger, and the body of the trigger hits the front of the underside of the disco and knocks it off of the hammer wing. If you trim your spring you can cause a condition where the disco does not always catch the wing, which is dangerous. It sounds to me that if it sometimes releases, you need to clean up the surfaces from casting defects. If it never releases, the total movement of the trigger body needs to allow the trigger to go forward a little more.