losing 2"of barrel

I have a 16" barrel and was being stupid and got three bullets stick in the bore and had to drill then out. As a result the last 1 or 2 inches of rifling aren't in great condition. It still groups ok and doesn't keyhole. I want to chop it off though. What options should I consider? Was thinking about a sight and gas block combo with a perm attach brake. Or moving the sight all the way back and attching a brake.

Also what flash hider and muzzle brakes would you guys suggest to make up about 2" of lost barrel?

• Like 1

Gotta ask.... How the hell did you get three bullets stuck in the barrel? 

what.gif  I think the logical solution is to sell all of your firearms before you hurt yourself or someone else! what.gif

Its been Covered but basically my bore got dirty shooting subs and I had squib rounds after shooting 20 rounds I had some stick. The second round knocked the first round out I saw target impact and thought all was good then on the 2nd round after that I noticed something was wrong. I could easily happen to anyone. Atleast I didn't blow the gun up. I thought I could knock them out but that wasn't going to happen I had to drill them out and push the jackets out.

And how does experimenting with handloads make me an irresponsible gun owner? It's not like I shot my self or someone else.

A dirty bore doesn't cause squibs.

If you can't tell a squib when it goes off, you shouldn't be shooting.

If you pull the trigger again after shooting a squib you are stoopid and ignorant.  ETA: If you do it twice you went full retard.

Squibs can and will cause kabooms.

Kabooms can maim or kill you and others.

Don't pull the trigger again after a squib.

Pay attention while reloading. HANDLOADING IS NOT AN EXPERIMENT.

Edited by Yeoldetool

If you pull the trigger again after shooting a squib you are stoopid and ignorant. ETA: If you do it twice you went full retard.

A dirty bore with sub copper jacketed bullets DID cause a squib. I fired 20 rounds no issues then had issues all round loaded exactly the same. And to say handloading isnt experimenting is pure ignorance of the definition of the word.

Like I said I didn't shoot myself or anyone else. I think I've seen people get less flak here after accidentally shooting themself.

No pics no certainty of what you are seeing,

Bet having a good gunsmith extract those bullets looks pretty good now.

Well have fun and good luck.

I got them out already. The rifle shots fine im just worried about the jacked up looking rifling and figure at longer range I will be better off shortening it.

Have you ever handloaded? The whole point is experimenting to get the best load. And I never called anyone ignorant. I said ignorant to the meaning of the word. And if you can say handloading isn't experimenting then you are also ignorant to the meaning of the word.

handloading does not imply experimenting.

Smart people work within published minimums and maximums for any given powder/ bullet combination.

Load development falls within those guide lines.

I handload tens of thousands of rounds per year, only squib was caused by a june bug in a 38 case at loading.

It seems june bug juice kills powder.

• Like 2

If you pull the trigger again after shooting a squib you are stoopid and ignorant. ETA: If you do it twice you went full retard.

A dirty bore with sub copper jacketed bullets DID cause a squib. I fired 20 rounds no issues then had issues all round loaded exactly the same. And to say handloading isnt experimenting is pure ignorance of the definition of the word.

Like I said I didn't shoot myself or anyone else. I think I've seen people get less flak here after accidentally shooting themself.

http://www.tannersgun.com/squibs.aspx

A squib is an underpowered cartridge. Unless a dirty bore loaded a cartridge to under specified pressure, it's got nothing to do with creating a squib. If anything, a dirty, fouled bore would create more pressure. It's physics.

And published reloading data is widely regarded as gospel to all but the utmost experienced reloaders. To deviate from that is surely asking for trouble.

Have fun .

I was using 7 grains of bulleseye 168 gain hollow points. The dirty bore incresed friction and created the squib. I weighed every round I know they were all the same. Research subsonic 308 loads see what data you find then tell me I was outside that.

Would load development not be experimenting? Again I never called tool ignorant just ignorant to the meaning of the word experimenting.

And I'm glad you all could help with suggestions on muzzle devices and options on front sights.

• Like 1

People who knew what they were talking about , told you how to remove the projectiles from your barrel.

Same people said DONT try to DRILL in a barrel.

you asked for advise, you were given good advise, but here we are.

A ruined gun, and you still argue.

Even now YEOLDE gave you CORRECT information.

You still dont have a clue

I rest my case

I had a steel cleaning rod set up in a hydraulic press with 1 inch sticking out of the chamber the steel rod bent over. The bullets would have never been pressed out as was suggested. And I also got a suggestion to use a wood dowel that's laughable. In some situations these suggestions from experienced people would have worked but I tried them and none worked. Drilling them out was the only option.

Back bore the barrel to good rifling. That way you keep the 16" that you need to be legal, and should be fully functional.

This is something I thought about.I wonder how good a crown you could get Luke that?

I've been handloading for 30+ years, but I'm not going to sit here and argue about staying within published data specification for anything except wildcat cartridges. Bullets get stuck in barrels with powder charges less than "minimum" charge weights and cause squibs.

Of course you know that now.what.gif

im done with subs in 308 but thanks for the advice. you cant really replace the barrel without getting someone to machine a blank and the rifle is not worth all that. i may ask my uncle the machinist wht he thinks about back boreing it.