AIM had them on sale for $49.95 shipped but they sold out already.

They're still on sale for $49.95 directly from PA.  Plus $5 shipping.  Not sure how long the sale will last.

I snagged one "just because".

Just a reminder.  The MD06 has the brightness control on the right.  The MD06L has the brightness control on the left.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Any advice as to which riser to get to use the Microdot on the AKARS AK rail?

Will that $29.99 QD riser work properly?

Like DS says, none needed for an AK. But the one you asked about is all that is needed for an AR. It's very sturdy.

I bought a Sparc for the Pit Bull.  But it seems to have little advantage over the PA.  The Sparc does shut itself down automatically if you leave it on and it remembers the brightness setting when you turn it off and on.  On the other hand I paid almost $200 for it.

The PA I just bought will replace the Eotech I stole from my Mforgery and put on the Tavor.  So a $500 sight replaced by a $50 sight.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I have always liked PA's stuff, but this sale and some of the CS stories I've read from their customers have me convinced... I have several rifles that need 1-4x optics and I think I'm going to put PA optics on all of them.

Got mine, also came with a hat. Unfortunately when I ordered it I didn't realize there was a left-side control. Now that I have it mocked up on the M92 I think it would have made much more sense to get that one, but I'll have to see how it works out. The included base will need to be slightly modded to fit the Stormwerkz rail - it doesn't mount tightly enough out of the box.

Good.  A quality looking piece.  Perfect co-witness on the bushy carbon Mforgery.  Mounts solid.  The brightest setting would work fine in the brightest conditions (possibly even on the surface of the sun). 

Not as good.   The finish on the mounting screw is kindof crappy looking.  The brightness adjustment is more stiff than it needs to be.  The lowest brightness setting is a little brighter than I like for night use.   Using a pinhole test against a black background I find the dot has a slight flare on the left side.  I emphasize this test is very sensitive and will show even the slightest flaw in the dot.  It does not represent what you see in normal use.

A good value for a sight under $100.  A great value at half that price.

post-4831-0-44753900-1404661879_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, and a cheap hat.  beaten.gif

Edited by Darth Saigus

preliminary review is the mount feels sloppy no matter how tight I screw it down... I was hoping to be able to co witness like the aimpoint.. you "can', sort of... but the dot emitter/projector thingy in the glass itself is in the lower left..and enters the sight picture in the notch of the rear leaf sight. was not expecting much for 50 bucks.. will try to get it zeroed and rounds downrange with it by the weekend...

10339455_10202671979865603_2598919306549

Looks like the mount looseness is a recurring issue.  Not sure if there are variations in the mount or if the variation is in the rails.  Mine is tight but it is screwed down all the way.

It's not zeroed so I can switch it to some other rails to see if it is loose on some rails.

Edited by Darth Saigus

Got mine yesterday and put it on my MK3 target.

Hope to get to the range this week and sight it in.

post-15138-0-04088800-1404823010_thumb.jpg

Edit to add: It locked up good and tight on the Ruger factory rail.

Edited by DaveM
  • Like 2

The mount appears to be on the wide side of rail specs, and seems that it needs to be modified for some rails. As I already mentioned it will not tighten fully on the Stormwerkz M92 rail.

The small sliding clamp piece of the OEM mount needs to have some material removed on the inner flat section where it contacts the base, so that it can slide further into the base when tightened, allowing the base to get a tighter clamp on the rail. Five minutes with a flat file should resolve the issue.

Edited by mancat

I like the deals at P.A. they are on the level.

However, I don't understand how you can put such a piece of shit optic on a weapon designed to be abused by a GI.

It works, yes but not for long.

Like putting street tires on a fucking Landcruiser.

http://www.tacticalsandwich.com/?p=78

pretty good for a budget red dot, and it's not like they aren't wildly popular with a lot of people that put thousands of rounds through them and are relatively rough on their rifles.

Pretty good, yes. It's just my opinion it does not belong on a battle rifle that is beyond pretty good. Torture tests like that from young non military personnel are cool and all but don't actually tell you much. When the 197th tests something, not only does it get the water, it gets used on a weapon in a realistic environment. Drop tests? Yep, put some weight behind it. Hitting it with a baseball bat is less shock than dropping it on cement from 3 feet with the weight of a battle rifle on top of it. Frozen? Same thing, turn it on and fire a battle load. Then drop it and get it wet. 5.56nato is like a bb gun compared to the recoil and shock (both ways) on an optic.

I do not expect many scopes to pass this, however there is a lot of surplus stuff and russian optics that will for only a benji or so more.

It's a great little red dot for shooting with you college buddies on the weekend at the public range in anycity usa. Other than that, it's just my personal opinion that it's a well intended chinese piece of shit. It does not belong on a Saiga rifle or shotgun. Like I said. It's like putting chinese street tires on a kick ass landcruiser. Sure it works and can do burn outs, but it limits the true potential of an already dependable and rock solid platform.

You realize that 99.99% of Saigas will never go to war, right?

Your point is valid but not important in most cases.

My working rifle has a working optic. Most on my rifles are really for play.

My shotguns don't have optics.

Well I accidentally dropped mine about 5ft onto wooden floor this morning while mocking up the rail on my M92. Sight still works fine, not even a blemish on the finish.

I thought for sure I had destroyed the front lens, as I noticed it was at an angle.. Looked it up, and turns out it comes that way from the factory to reduce target glare.

Carry on...