Is something holding you back from buying steel S12 mags?

csspecs S12 mags  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Reason for not buying

• Too expensive.
    • Not high enough capacity.
    • Prefer Poly.
    • Did not know they are available.
    • Too heavy.
    • Other design issue.
    • Have too many magazines.
    • Waiting on funds.
    • Waiting for Vepr-12 mags.
  2. 2. If to expensive what is your maximum price range.

Looks like the consensus is that the fabulous obutfuker economic recovery is the main reason folks are hesitant or outright unable to spend the money on them. I might get a couple of them in a couple of weeks, I've spent a shitload of money recently sooooo.

I truly hope you don't take it in the ass with these, as I remember all the excitement when you were tooling up for them. I really love the .308 mags they perform great for me. I have several of the S-20 mags, but I haven't had time to really put them through their paces yet.

As for that question;   "What is the advantage of your steel mag for Saiga 12? What makes it better than the poly mags I have that work very well?"

One word................STEEL bad_egg.gif

Sorry, but STEEL is not an answer. Not trying to stir anything up, but poly doesn't rust, doesn't dent and is lighter and these mags work fine.

Okay rolleyes.gif

But I will say that if your "POLY" is so great, there would be absolutely no market for ANY steel mags, experience has PROVED the need for steel. Do you think manufacturers would put their financial ass on the line if there were no market for it?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oct 2 should ring a bell. Thats at the beginning of last quarter of last year, and the day Obamacare rolled out. The economy 'officially' contracted 1% that quarter, although I suspect that number is

I couldn't vote because I didn't want to cast a vote for what they "should" cost. I don't make them so I have no clue what is fair.   My answer as to why I haven't bought any is "waiting for funds".

Drop 'em to $40 and I would buy. There is something about going over $100 for two mags that makes it harder for me to mentally justify than $80 for two would be.... 

Posted Images

Looks like the consensus is that the fabulous obutfuker economic recovery is the main reason folks are hesitant or outright unable to spend the money on them. I might get a couple of them in a couple of weeks, I've spent a shitload of money recently sooooo.

I truly hope you don't take it in the ass with these, as I remember all the excitement when you were tooling up for them. I really love the .308 mags they perform great for me. I have several of the S-20 mags, but I haven't had time to really put them through their paces yet.

As for that question;   "What is the advantage of your steel mag for Saiga 12? What makes it better than the poly mags I have that work very well?"

Sorry, but STEEL is not an answer. Not trying to stir anything up, but poly doesn't rust, doesn't dent and is lighter and these mags work fine.

Okay rolleyes.gif

But I will say that if your "POLY" is so great, there would be absolutely no market for ANY steel mags, experience has PROVED the need for steel. Do you think manufacturers would put their financial ass on the line if there were no market for it?

Hey, don't get your panties in a bunch. I have nothing against steel magazines. I'm sure there is a need for them or, as you say, companies wouldn't take the risk to develop and manufacture them. All I'm saying is for me, the poly mags are working great and I like them.

Okay rolleyes.gif

Hey, don't get your panties in a bunch. I have nothing against steel magazines. I'm sure there is a need for them or, as you say, companies wouldn't take the risk to develop and manufacture them. All I'm saying is for me, the poly mags are working great and I like them.

Yeah, I guess I could have expounded a bit more. If I were in a battle situation I would definitely prefer metal mags, they are simply more durable, and from all of the research I have seen from the company in question here, the driving force from folks on this forum was also a point of stability, reliability, durability, and longevity. There are people on this forum that shoot their saiga's enough to ware out plastic magazines pretty quickly. Trust me when I tell you that the folks at CSSPECS didn't just show up one day and say surprise, I got steel mags for sale.

For me the US made poly mag is the weak link in the Saiga 12. My mags, both AGP and the notorious ProMag, are not 100% reliable. At any random time I am liable to get a fail to feed that necessitates working the bolt back and forth to clear the jam or even having to remove the mag and then clear to get the gun back in action. The reviews I've read of the steel indicate these issues go away completely. 

My S12 internals are all polished and modded to lessen these issues, but the flex in the poly mags and the environmental factors they can be subjected to (extreme heat or cold) effect their reliability. My Russian 5 rounders have never caused this, but a 5 round mag is little better than a standard tube fed gun to me.

I wish I could afford the steel right now to find out for myself firsthand....

Okay rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I guess I could have expounded a bit more. If I were in a battle situation I would definitely prefer metal mags, they are simply more durable, and from all of the research I have seen from the company in question here, the driving force from folks on this forum was also a point of stability, reliability, durability, and longevity. There are people on this forum that shoot their saiga's enough to ware out plastic magazines pretty quickly. Trust me when I tell you that the folks at CSSPECS didn't just show up one day and say surprise, I got steel mags for sale.

Gotcha. I totally understand what you're saying, and I will no doubt try CSSPECS's mags sometime.

As you indicate, I'm sure if I was shooting my Saiga a lot, I'd be looking more seriously into the steel mags. I just shoot once in a while and definitely no battle situations. For that reason, the poly mags are filling the bill for me right now. Like I said, I'm sure I will try the steel ones, probably sooner than later.

Let's bury the hatchet on this one, OK?

As for that question; "What is the advantage of your steel mag for Saiga 12? What makes it better than the poly mags I have that work very well?"

Im keeping my polymer mags around, there is nothing wrong with them. I built my s12 for a possible survival situation with the best possible parts at the time. In my opinion the steel mags are simply better quality and that alone makes them worth having for my intended use.

Rust is not an issue, just look at how many steel AK mags are in circulation.

Polymer mags are lighter. Do you even lift bro? That is one advantage poly mags have.

I only have one css mag so im afraid to do any kind of durability test. It would be cool to see how much abuse one could take or how easily it dents and at what point a dent might impede the follower. Not sure a polymer mag wouldn't just break with the same force required to dent a steel one. One test the steel mag would shine in would be any test of lug strength. I think my saiga would fall apart before this mag broke loose.

Like I said im keeping my polymer mags too but replacing any mag I might actually use to defend myself with a new steel mag.

To the OP, I believe the sales being lower than you expected is a combination of two things which have both been mentioned. The first is price. Even though you seem so have a top notch product, I think the mags being in the $45 range would help bring in some new customers for you. The second reason is the group I am currently part of. The tremendous drop in price of the Vepr 12 in the last couple of years has prompted me buyers including myself to abandon the saigas for veprs. On top of that Legion USA has also been importing the magwell version of the Saiga 12 at almost the same price as the rock n lock versions. Many that didn't buy the Vepr bought magwell version Saiga. Between those two and all the aftermarket companies making magwell adapters, those type of straight insertion mags seem to be taking over a big portion of the market. I hope this helps. Good luck.

I have a R and R mag well. Which limits what I can use

that's  part of the issue for me. I know I will be buying a few for the JTE magwelled gun once I know what can be modded for them. (possibly the V12/S12 o30 model in the works?) Well, having the cash is still the limiting factor. Also I won't load up on any capacity smaller than 10. I do intend to get a couple 10 rounders for the rock and lock gun when I can. But if the deal is killer like it is now on the 8 rounders, I would go for that. I am simply skint. If I had the cash I would be all over that.

Damn! I missed the sale...I have one sitting in my closet waiting to be tested. I'm sure I'll buy a few more afterwards. Quality looks top notch. Now hurry up and make some 54r vepr mags XD

Holding me back? Yeah. Need. I have lots of mags already that work just fine. I don't need any more. I should buy more ammo, though.

I only voted $50 on the poll because I HAD to vote for something. Since I don't need any, price is not an issue.

Edited by patriot

I did not notice that you need to pick from both poll questions.. I add an "irrelevant" option to fix that.

I'm pretty much getting the idea that any cost cutting would be greatly appreciated however its not the only limiting factor..

I did just think of an idea that would move a few mags and help some charities out at the same time. Some of you guys know that I like to do NRA/GOA/USO fundraisers and give aways from time to time, but I just can't do that right now.

Maybe you could raffle a few off for a good cause. I wouldn't be offended if you needed to cover the MSRP of the mag before the charity starts. Maybe 1 mag = 10 $10 tickets then winner is drawn? I'd buy 2 tickets as I can afford that, a charity wins, and I like the odds.

Then some of us who can't afford to enjoy your mags at the moment can post more rave reviews or answer our own questions, you sell a couple, and a charity gets a boost.

Not a long term solution to business, but it sure would be cool! I really like to see vendors support our orgs. (I also tend to run advertising of such things in my sig for at least 6 months).

Edited by Maxwelhse

I don't want to be directly involved in funds collection and forwarding.. Always ends up being a fiasco.

I would consider doing something along the lines of "make a donation get so much off" and while some people may just pocket the difference, odds are most would follow through..

I don't do raffles.

I'm more interested in promoting the shooting sports on their own, since the NRA is pretty proficient at seeking funding.. So something like take a co-worker shooting get a discount would also be interesting to try. I just need to mull it over a little to find what will work best for our situation.

The way I see it is that folks are struggling financially all over the country, hell I've lost two positions and $60,000.00 from my operating budget in the past two years. One of my neighbor's was permanently laid off a couple of weeks ago, from a company he had almost 20 years with, he said the company simply doesn't have any work. This is very significant because we live in the biggest naval port in the world, I don't remember things ever getting this bad in the past. People just don't have the money to play with like they used to. I don't think there is anything wrong with the mags, and the company support after sales is stellar, it's the lack of money, IMHO  of course.

• Like 2

I'm signed up on your notification list but apparently overlooked, or didnt get the info on dinged/discounted mags.

Like many others my gun money is stretched thin between several options.  Besides being overloaded with poly S12 mags of various sizes I've been more focused on rifle builds and getting some SBR's done before the rules may change.

I agree that there may be a psychological barrier of going over $100 for 2 mags.

Perhaps you could check the weight of 2 mags for the shipping costs and see if your mfg costs can support a sales package of 2 for $99 shipped?  You'd just have to see what qty of sales would begin to make it profitable - if at all? 

Best of luck however you proceed.  Ill be getting some eventually

Cheers

Harv

We did an email back a couple weeks ago back for the sale. It was that 20% off one, I had a number of spam filters kicking back my emails.

I did not really give much thought to the dinged mags, or some of the coupon stacking things you could do on the website..

Send me your email address through the customer service section, and I'll confirm its on the list.

http://stores.csspecs.com/customer-service/

Several people figured out a way to stack up coupon codes and ended up getting new Saiga-12 mags for like $30 each. 015.gif

I was not pleased to see that, but I packed the boxes anyway. (unlike some companies that sell AR-15 rails)

I'll take a close look at doing a package deal to reduce the cost.

Legion beat you to my money when they started making Izzy 8s available in decent quantities, at what was then a good price for those mags.  And I have been way too preoccupied with other projects to really give much thought to changing to yours.