AK kit or 80% Lower AR build what should I do?

Well the wife said once I clean up a few projects ,reload a bunch of 380 and get back from Nov. vacation .I can start building kits again for family as gifts.

AK kits have come down and the 80% AR lowers look interesting.

I think AK's are more rewarding as you bend your lowers from blanks or from scratch but I think one can make a nice AR as well.

What do you guys think?

I have 3 guns in my plans $600 to $700 per gun should do it.

She said no shot guns! Should have never given my Saiga 12  away. She know me to well. I would keep the 12 when it was done.

I am just getting my list's for both together.

Anyone here mill a 80% lower?

You must be in a great place, to be able to build these, as gifts.

Every nickle I spend sees scrutiny, by myself and my wife.

I could never give an AK build away to someone who didn't understand the complexity of every step involved.

I built ONE with the simplest tools but, the result was very respectable, IMHO.

It's like raising a child to adulthood (done that twice).

I can't speak about building any other gun. I've never built anything else.

Good luck.

I wish that I had more money to play with.

Edited by Sim_Player

If someone had told me five years ago that ARs would be priced the way they are now, I'd have been highly dubious.  If someone had told me that in early 2013, I might have laughed in his or her face.  AK kits I could see getting more expensive as surplus stuff tends to do that as it dries up, but I did not foresee the flood of AR stuff hitting the market, especially not the proliferation of 80% receivers.  What a time to be alive.

I saw those drilling jigs for 80% lowers that are meant for people without mills.  They looked kind of cheesy, but not totally beyond my cheese-tolerance.

Why would a guy mess with an 80% when you can get a lower for $49 shipped?

Yer kids must have been much easier to raise than minehaha.gif

• Like 1

You must be in a great place, to be able to build these, as gifts.

Every nickle I spend sees scrutiny, by myself and my wife.

I could never give an AK build away to someone who didn't understand the complexity of every step involved.

I built ONE with the simplest tools but, the result was very respectable, IMHO.

I can't speak about building any other gun. I've never built anything else.

Good luck.

I wish that I had more money to play with.

Sim Its for my big brother, his son and his son in law.

I just love doing it and I will be 62 this summer, getting ready to retire.

I have worked my ass off all my life and have no children. They are all gun people and love and take care of the other guns I have sent their way

I may work until I'm 65 as everyone begs me not to go.

I have a break that I will be converting to bend the flats if I go that way.

The cool thing is , the son in law is a LEO and he will have a unmarked gun ha ha

I haven’t been keeping up with pricing but it’s hard to believe the 80% stuffs price is so low that it’s worth the time to complete one let alone 3 of them as opposed to just buying stripped lowers.

What the hell, if you’ve got the time, tooling, talent, and the desire go for it, you only go around once, an in depth 3 gun build like that will make you the families John Browning legend.

The wife said no ordering until after Nov.So I have to be a good boy.

That is all good and well for now. Not to be a tinfoil type.......but a lot can happen between now and Nov. The prices we are seeing right now are impressive.

God forbid some other incident, law or politician screw us up again. Then the panic will set in again.

But aside from that.....damn good on you for wanting to help your family with such things! (Oh and I do understand the fun of building these rifles)big_smile.gif

In a few states, if you buy an AR stripped receiver it must be listed as a rifle, so the only way to build an AR pistol is starting with an 80%. Plus, paranoid of ATF photocopying mass 4473's, like they have done several times in the last few months.

The wife said no ordering until after Nov.So I have to be a good boy.

That is all good and well for now. Not to be a tinfoil type.......but a lot can happen between now and Nov. The prices we are seeing right now are impressive.

God forbid some other incident, law or politician screw us up again. Then the panic will set in again.

But aside from that.....damn good on you for wanting to help your family with such things! (Oh and I do understand the fun of building these rifles)big_smile.gif

With work and other projects she knows that it will not happen this summer and I know it  also..

After all,  fun is the whole thing. Looking , buying, building, tweaking  and the joy and sadness that it is done.

My job puts a lot of stress on me. Loading and building helps a ton. 

In a few states, if you buy an AR stripped receiver it must be listed as a rifle, so the only way to build an AR pistol is starting with an 80%. Plus, paranoid of ATF photocopying mass 4473's, like they have done several times in the last few months.

Listed (registered) where?

If it's a pistol, it's not a rifle...