Field Test on my Saiga 20 ga.

Well I finally was able to shoot my 20 ga down on the farm . I had had it worked on by Cobra and had high expectations !

It ran great on 3" Turkey loads on the #1 setting in the 5 round plastic mag that came with the gun ......but from then on the party was over .

The Rio Buckshot that sez 2 3/4 " on the shells did not run - they are more like 3" long - not 2 3/4 ; and my shrapnel slugs that say there 2 3/4 " were also 3 " long ...... not sure whats up with that , but they also say 2 3/4 " on them . They ran fine on #1 in the 3" mag as well . Everything else would not cycle without stove piping on the #1 or #2 setting . I could not get anything to work in my Cspecs 8 and 10 round mags .  I tried various cheap low brass shells from various manufactures and none of that crap would work ......... 

I sure was happy the 3" shells ran flawlessly - but what kind of high powered shells can I get to cycle thru my 2 3/4" mags ??

I ain't complainin' .......I think Cobra did a swell job and The Cspecs mags are fine ; but I have to accept the fact that my Saiga will not eat cheap ammo and only wants to fire the powerful shells . Thats fine with me . What do you fellers put in you Cspecs mags ??

I gave up trying to run cheap low brass ammo in my S-20, I only run high quality, high brass 000 buck shot and slugs, my gun runs these flawlessly without a bunch of expensive mods. My S-20 has a standard conversion that I did myself, with a tuned trigger group from Cobra. I didn't buy my S-20 to use for rabbit and squirrel hunting, or range blasting, it's an offensive/defensive weapon. If I ever need to shoot squirrels I'll use my .22, or load one round at a time like a single shot. I did take the gas block off of mine and drilled the three ports larger, and opened up the GB hole, but it had no detectable effect, so I decided to just leave it alone.

The S-12 is a much better gun to mod for sport shooting (IMHO) as there are sooooo many parts available for it, but I'm keeping my S-20 and all of the CSSPECS mags that I have for it.

What was the nature of the malfunction?stove pipes

Did the empty fail to eject and get stuck?yes

Or did the empty eject and the round fail to feed?never got past the stove piping

I am glad you posted , as one of my 8 round mags from your company is not functioning right - it seems to have the follower jam and stick ...... can I send it to you folks to have it checked out ?

AA re-cvrd:

I am with you ; my gun is for self defense and I would use full powered shells for that - but practicing and target range shooting is expensive @ a buck a round so I was trying the cheap stuff to save a few dollars .  I am now convinced that I will feed the gun what it shoots reliably , and that would be high quality Buckshot and slugs .

I was pretty disappointed that the RIO Buckshot would not fit in my Csspecs mags . Not the mags fault , they are designed for 2 3/4" shells and the stinking RIO shells are NOT . They are just a hair short of a full 3 " shell - same thing with those Slugs I got from Latvia ; they say 2 3/4" right on the side of the shell and on the box ,yet they are 3" !! Whats up with that B.S ?

What was the nature of the malfunction?stove pipes

Did the empty fail to eject and get stuck?yes

Or did the empty eject and the round fail to feed?never got past the stove piping

I am glad you posted , as one of my 8 round mags from your company is not functioning right - it seems to have the follower jam and stick ...... can I send it to you folks to have it checked out ?

Sorry I forget to check through the Saiga-20 section..

Yeah we can check it out. Send me the info through the below link and I'll send you mailing instructions.. I'm assuming your well outside of the 1 year warranty since we have not had any 8 round mags in about 18 months. But we will still take care of it..

http://stores.csspecs.com/customer-service/

AA re-cvrd:

I am with you ; my gun is for self defense and I would use full powered shells for that - but practicing and target range shooting is expensive @ a buck a round so I was trying the cheap stuff to save a few dollars .  I am now convinced that I will feed the gun what it shoots reliably , and that would be high quality Buckshot and slugs .

I was pretty disappointed that the RIO Buckshot would not fit in my Csspecs mags . Not the mags fault , they are designed for 2 3/4" shells and the stinking RIO shells are NOT . They are just a hair short of a full 3 " shell - same thing with those Slugs I got from Latvia ; they say 2 3/4" right on the side of the shell and on the box ,yet they are 3" !! Whats up with that B.S ?

Didn't you get a 3" mag with that gun when you bought it?

Thanks csspecs .....

I did get the plastic 3" mag with the gun ; but it holds a mere 5 rounds and I really want to use my csspecs 8 and 10 rounders .

I just got a case of Remington Express #3 Buckshot at a great price . ( .60 cents a round )  Next week I'm headed back to the farm to try them out .

Surely they will run fine in my Saiga 20 .......and I sure hope they cycle in my Mossberg SA-20 Turkey Thug as well .

• 3 weeks later...

How many rounds ya got through it? I had to run HUNDREDS of rounds through mine before it " broke in" and would eject federal low base trap rounds. Joining a trap league and shooting a hundred rounds or so every week for several months certainly helped... :up:

Dont give up... just keep shooting the heck out of it... it should come around... 

:smoke:

• 4 weeks later...

ok u guys ever had a single shoot 20 gauge If u do try them 7/8 thoue that they even jam a single shoot. ok now I'm having a semler problem what I'm going to do is try to clean the puck and that hole under the puck just because I shoot natro mags tho it then shoot it and look over the next round for ding on the round from the first round hiting it some wear and ps this is my first post anywhere on the web lol how was I

ok u guys ever had a single shoot 20 gauge If u do try them 7/8 thoue that they even jam a single shoot. ok now I'm having a semler problem with my saiga what I'm going to do is try to clean the puck and that hole under the puck just because I shoot natro mags tho it then shoot it and look over the next round for ding on the round from the first round hiting it some wear and ps this is my first post anywhere on the web lol how was I my saiga they r weird in tell there broken in

20ga was most challenging for me also. Pulled all out all the stops to run bulk 2 3/4" 2 1/2 dram. But they WILL.

For those not familar the target under my name is a s20 @60yds. 3 shots "cloverleafed" I think I love the twenty best of all my saiga's!