Anybody got any leads on where I could find a 22" barrel Saiga .308 for sale not including Gunbroker, Armslist, GunsAmerica, etc.? I'm looking for a completely factory setup with the polymer furniture, but everything I'm finding is sold out or are just asking too much. I'm not entirely certain what the Saiga rifles are running nowadays, but I think $1,000.00 unconverted is a bit outrageous....

Also, I may settle for the 16" depending on which I can get my hands on (and I know it's been discussed before), but I'm trying to build a DMR style rifle, and I'm just not sure if the 16 will "go the distance" so to speak. I've read how the 16" is "sturdier" than the .22, but it is still burning powder by the time the bullet's exited the bore, and that the .22" is "too long", and that 18" is ideal. Honestly, will the 16" be able to reach out and touch something at 5-600yd., or is that well beyond its limitations?

Thank you in advance!

~Forsaken

http://legionusainc.com/saiga-vepr-rifles-for-sale/ak-rifles-.308-rem.html

You can't go wrong with either barrel length. The 22" barrel is a little front heavy, while having less recoil. The Saiga with 16" barrel is better balanced, but percussion and recoil is noticeably greater. If your intended use is for long distance shooting, I would not hesitate to get the longer barrel.

Thanks for the fast response. I forgot to add 2 things to my original post. 1) I've owned a .22" previously (was afraid at the time ((years ago)) to convert it to pistol grip, and ended up doing the external pistol grip gimmick, sold it, and now regret having sold it), and 2) I have browsed Legion's website before, and the prices are much better then I see elsewhere, but I'm looking for one that actually has the regular factory forend. Why does Legion have different forends than all other Saiga rifles? If they're from the factory this way, was anything else changed? (aside from the gas tube obviously).

Thanks again!

~Forsaken

I also just read somewhere the Legion rifles have thicker barrels. Can anyone confirm this? I apologize for the flood of questions. Been waiting for months to come into some money, and I think I may just be able to begin my project now.big_smile.gif

The model that you are looking for is the IZ-139. We have the IZ-239 at this time. The only difference is that the Iz-239 has AK hanguards that are installed when the rifle was manufactured in the Izhmash factory. There are no other differences between these rifles. In my opinion, that fact that they already come with Ak handguards is great value for the money. All you really need is to do a basic pistol grip conversion (like we did with our IZ-239-A models).  The Saiga .308's do have a thicker barrel than the other Saiga rifle calibers.

• Like 2

Have you thought about getting a 16" and adding 2 or three inches of, oh say a silencer? That's actually a hell of a thought, I might have to look into it for mine, it certainly would change things smile.png

I suppose it's a possibility, but I've been avoiding NFA firearms considering the hassle involved (before and after obtaining). I suppose I am prolonging the inevitable, though.... Been searching tri/quad rails, and I don't think they'd drop in a .308 without modification due to barrel thickness. Having an AK forend isn't a deal killer, it's just something that I will change one way or another eventually. Thing is, I've got an RRA LAR-15 (carbine length), a Wasr-10/63, and a Saiga 12, to name a few, and of those 3, the Saiga 12 has the longest forend. Guess I'm looking for something that "fits", even though it'll be fired from the bipod 90% of the time. So, I guess to answer your question, no, a suppressor hasn't really crossed my mind, but mostly due to cost and the hassle of owning one. I'll finish up with a question. Does anybody know of any rails that extend beyond the handguard retainer that will fit the Saiga .308? Thanks!

Edit: One other question (I know, I'm sorry guys), do any of you know if the Saiga rifles have exposed cross pins on the gas block/FSB, or do they have to be drilled first? (I only ask because I remember seeing a rifle ((I believe a Saiga)) that had its pins covered and needed drilled first)

These are my last questions. I promise. bad_smile.gif

Edited by forsaken352
  • 6 months later...

I have the CSS quad rail on my S308 with the 16" barrel and I like it a lot, very solid.

x2  I am very happy with my CSS quad rail on my S308 22".  I was thinking I will cut mine down to 18-19" before threading.  I wanted to keep it full length for resale, but who am I kidding.  Ive never sold any of my guns and I dont plan to with my favorite.  The term "Battle Rifle" takes me to my happy place.  And the trade sanctions with Russia make me real glad I bought mine when I did.