OK I know how well gun guys and fires go together. I'm pretty sure there are lots of us here who prefer to do most of their cooking outdoors over fire. How about a grilling thread? Got something kickass on the coals? Post some pics! Post some recipes or any grilling ideas you like. Should have started this before the 4th wknd started rather than after, but anyway....

This is what I was doing over the weekend. Post up some grilling pics guys!

beer.gif

I was about to take the same fixin's and grill some hamburgers but at the last minute had this crazy idea to stuff the remaining chopped onions, cheese, & peppers inside a log and wrap it up with bacon.

chef.gif

post-1293-0-95052100-1404873870_thumb.jpg post-1293-0-79899000-1404876631_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-25549100-1404875039_thumb.jpg post-1293-0-28627300-1404875874_thumb.jpg 

post-1293-0-60940800-1404875594_thumb.jpg

027.gif

Looks like a Cobra's Custom's BBQ pit too! I like it! Wuts in da jar?

No pictures, but on the 4th Dad and I worked ever closer to getting a biscuit properly smoked, smoked some pork chops, and also grilled a few. We're getting closer, but still not right. Smoking meat is an art-form all its own. The next time we're at it I'll have to remember to get some pics.

I did recently install an adjustable pressure regulator on my gas grill and that has made all the difference in the personality of that thing. 5-30psi. You want fire? We can do that!

I do have an excellent pork rib recipe, but those stay off of the fire so I'm not sure if it's allowed... sad.png

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

Alright then, Pork Ribs it is!

I don't do them over fire because I have NEVER gotten them to turn out correctly after dozens of attempts. I'm sure many have, but not me. I like them to fall off the bone, but not be dried out. This also isn't a fast cook. 6-8 hours usually.

Ingredients:

-Several pounds of pork ribs (cut is your choice. I've found that it really doesn't matter with this method as long as they're meaty without too much fat or grizzle, remove membrane from the back of the ribs or don't.. I usually just leave it on.. .several pounds for me usually means 2 of the vacuum packed grocery store racks of ribs that are about as long as your arm.)

-1 gallon of apple juice

-3 containers Liquid Smoke (or more if you like)

-Garlic Powder (2-3 TBS, or to taste)

-Onion Powder (same)

-Beef Bullion (blocks or pellets, doesn't matter... I usually use 3-4 of the blocks)

-BBQ Sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's original with some cayenne pepper mixed in.. obviously it's your choice of sauces)

-Giant disposable aluminum pan (you don't want to clean up the mess this makes of a dish over the $3 for the pan)

Method:

-Place dry ingredients into coffee pot decanter and add enough water to make 1/2-pot of coffee (or mix them up with hot water however you want. I find the coffee pot to be easy. If you don't use hot water you'll never get the bullion to mix)

-Place ribs in pan (I usually start meat-side down)

-Pour in mixture from coffee pot

-Pour in 2 bottle (or more) liquid smoke

-Place on oven rack

-Top off with apple juice until ribs are as submerged as you can get them without making a giant mess when turning them (It's important to place the pan in the oven FIRST because after you fill it with juice it will be practically impossible to handle... remember when determining your "full level" that you'll be sliding the rack in and out of the oven with 15lbs or more of hot liquid and meat on it.. my oven has the 60s style shelves that tend to cant when they're extended)

-Turn oven to 250F and walk away for 2-3 hours

-Turn ribs, top off with apple juice again, walk away for another 2-3 hours

-Generally for my oven @ 6 hours they're "cooked", but not tender enough yet. Flip, top off, and walk away for no more than 2 hours. At this point the game is on so you have to start paying some attention.

-Once MOSTLY satisfied with the tenderness, start draining the fluid off of the ribs. I've found that a coffee cup is helpful to get about 1/2 the fluid out, then I can remove the ribs without a mess, then remove the pan and dump it outside (mixture doesn't kill grass by the time its cool enough to be dumped... It usually takes me about 10 minutes to drain the pan and get the ribs out of it)

-Add ribs back to the pan meat side up and sauce w/1 bottle liquid smoke mixed in (and cayenne, or whatever you think you'll like)

-Turn oven to 325F and put ribs back in

-20-30 minutes and the sauce will thicken up and adhere to the ribs nicely

Finally, FEED FACE. These are not ribs you can pick up and eat. You pull the bones out of these and eat the meat off your plate. Some people like that, some don't.

I will warn you, this process can be EXTREMELY MESSY if you're not careful and follow my points. Each and every one of them has been learned by experience.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 2

Ok... Since I've been thinking about doing this soon-ish, I'll post up my brat receipe too and those DO go on fire. I'll take some pics if I make some. You'll notice a trend in my ingredients... wink.png

Ingredients:

-Brats of your choice (I usually buy a 16 pack of original Johnsonville's at Sams. They come frozen and it makes absolutely no difference)

-8 to 10 Cheap beers (Miller High Life Lite is usually my go to... The entire cook time on these is about 8-10 hours, so you'll need a 30 pack)

-Onion Powder (maybe 1/2 TBS or to taste)

-Garlic Powder (same)

-1 beef bullion cube

-BALLPARK BRAND BUNS. They're dirt cheap and the best I've found.

Method:

-Poke holes in all the Brats with a fork (yes, against all of those Johnsonville ads you've read). I usually do 3 pokes a side

-Mix Brats, dry ingredients, and beer in a large pot or crock pot until Brats are covered

-Bring to low simmer for 8-10 hours, adding beer as it cooks. DO NOT BOIL. You're looking for no more than 160F here since the proteins bind at 140F. Slow and low...

-Remove Brats from mixture when you're happy with the tenderness. This part just takes some time to get the hang of since they're in cases. Too much and they fall apart, too little and they're not tender enough. You don't want to start doing this until about 6 hours, but poke them with a fork somewhat deeply and see if they sort of "sag" on the fork. That's what you're looking for. They will look 100% gray and gross when you pull them out. That's ok. We'll fix that.

-Place on HOT grill. They're already hot and fully cooked, so all we want to do here is firm up the cases, dry them out a touch, and add some grill flavor. You obviously don't want to burn them before the cases tighten, so know what HOT means on your grill and not ON FIRE.

-Place in mouth, without or without buns or additives.

They come out super tender, super moist, taste nicely of beer without being over powering (meaning they actually have a beer flavor unlike the store bought "beer flavored" stuff), have a nice crisp snap to the case, and aren't at all greasy. Not only are these delicious, and voted by 3 independent people that have tried them as "they best they've ever had" (yeah, I know, but they really did say that), they're flat out the only ones my Dad can eat because they're just too greasy for him otherwise. A good friend of mine ate *10* of these through one night of beer drinking. He is NOT a big guy or heavy eater either. I need to make 32 of them the next time Fred comes to town.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

Just some ribs with McClard's. Maxim magazine says it's #10. I say #1

ETA: When you twist the bone and it releases, they're done. Just like chicken.

post-23857-0-16259900-1404897322_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

And the Gunny said.....

TTIWWOP!...lol

post-1293-0-07056900-1405946709.jpg

Actually though not completely worthless if it spurs more grillin pics!  wink.png I'll keep em comin but y'all please join in every chance ya get!

Just made a new Cobra's Custom Smoker investment over the weekend and christened her right with a good hot burn, then filled her up with yardbird, vidalia onions and homegrown peppers. This baby's gonna see a whole lot of use so there will surely be more pics to come in the future.

So again... what did y'all grill out this past weekend don't be shy  smile.png

On with the pics! 027.gif   (pic heavy is A ok...)

Oh also scored a pair of new grill lighters! Of course this is my favorite one.

post-1293-0-59493200-1405947323_thumb.jpg

I think I'll finally have the smokin' space I need to start making that homegrown Chipotle sauce I've been wanting to add to my line of hot sauces we sell. wink.png

post-1293-0-66306800-1405947363_thumb.jpg

Grillin' & smokin' same time hell yes!

post-1293-0-00466800-1405947409_thumb.jpg

Let's fire this bitch up and see how hot we can get her to burn the new pain't smell out.

post-1293-0-12193100-1405947438_thumb.jpg

After an hour or two of this she was ready to roll!

post-1293-0-65042300-1405947487.jpg

post-1293-0-00129000-1405947513_thumb.jpg

First of course had to brush down all the hot grill / smoker grates with BACON grease to christen it right! Then...

Two big packs of chicken thighs with my buddy Greg's killa home made "Sticka' Briar BBQ Rubs", ...(Awesome stuff check him out! I put that stuff on everything now... http://www.stickabriarbbq.com/ ).

post-1293-0-08846300-1405947629_thumb.jpg

Plus one whole chicken cut up (still in fridge I forgot to take a pic) & marinading two days in one of those kickass new Jack Daniels Hickory Mesquite bags from Wallyworld. Comes in 4 flavors and a really nice heavy duty foil lined large ziplock for ez convenient marinading. http://www.jackdanielssauces.com/ezmarinader/ez_products.aspx

Then it was ON!

post-1293-0-23540500-1405947704_thumb.jpg

I love this grill combo it even has a convenient hot griddle surface (it is now lol) on top for chicken skin snacks, bacon & eggs or whatever. Next time I'll put a teflon pan on top but hey this was cherry poppin time! And chicken crackle poppin with hot sauce! 027.gif  

[post-1293-0-45669300-1405947543_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah!

post-1293-0-33092900-1405947742_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-93224300-1405947758_thumb.jpg

We're gonna have to get that Saiga Shoot Cookout Party together boys! 032.gif

• Like 6

That brinkman is the shit! I have an old char broil that works the same but the smoke colum is horizontal instead of vertical which makes more sence for drafting the smoke and different temperatures.

Thanks for sharing. I may have to look into one like that! Awesome!

• Like 1

Sure thing man. Best deal I was able to find was Tractor Supply on clearance. Been eyeballin' it for months at my local store then finally went to buy one and they were all gone. Drove to another town to get one of two they had left. Home Depot is now carrying them to but they cost more there.

I think it's a great design and the draft and heat control is spot on! Big door with damper on the end of the firebox for easy cleanout. And ez adjustable chimney damper that were very easy to tune to get a steady 200- 250 for hours on just one load of charcoal in my Weber coal starter, with a few chunks of hickory tossed in along the way. It also has a ring of stainless hooks in the top of the smoke chamber for hanging sausages or a whole ham, shoulder, or whatever. Smaller access door in the rear also for adding water so ya don't have to let the smoke out.

Oh yeah one more thing I liked is the steel is a whole lot heavier gauge than the other little Brinkman R2D2 unit smokers I have. They grill great but are so damn thin it's hard to maintain heat if it's cold or windy out.

• Like 2

The thick gauge steel is critical for temp, that's for sure. I've had mine for over 10 years now and never covered it. She stays outside in the snow on a mountain and still looks OK. My guess is that I could sand blast and repaint but It is a picky bitch about the temps.

The old system required constant attention. I'd fish from about 0500 to 1500 and start smoking at 1600. The lake trout tasted like salmon by 2300. You could not really leave the thing alone for more than 30 minutes to do it right and keep the cooler smoke circulating the smoking chamber. The little fire box was constantly being tweaked. Started with coal and used dry larch to keep the heat, cotton wood to smoke with some store bought hickory chips soaked in water.

Not much besides pine around here and an old timer showed me how the bastard tree, cottonwood, can actually be used for something besides shade near the water, allergies and destroying anything the sap pods land on.

How much attention does your fire box require on that unit?

Looks like the AK of smokers.

• Like 1

Yer killin' me, Shannon.

haha.gif

Figured I needed to work a little harder to give this thread a kick in the pants. I do this shit all the time so may as well prolong the enjoyment with photos I reckon lol.

Stryker I was surprised and very impressed with the first cook. I was figuring I'd need to do some little tweaks on her here & there like add some gaskets around the doors, bead of hi temp RTV around the seams & screw holes, etc, but it was amazing how tight it is. There's a little smoke that escapes just around the firebox lid with the smoker chimney door all the way closed but the very instant you crack that open it drafts right out through the smoker part. Shut it off and it's there, crack it and it's gone. Like opening the back door a crack in my house with my wood stove roaring. Bitch drafts great and shuts right down. We experimented with adjusting the temp by changing both damper settings and that's very controllable too. I couldn't be happier.

My intention was actually to buy this thing, learn it inside out, then when they discontinue the design make my own larger, heavier versions using 2 stainless 15 gal beer kegs stacked & welded for smoke chamber with a pony keg or maybe a 15 gallon barrel keg off to the side. It's gonna be hard to top this though I think.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

NICE DaveM!! That right there is one of the main reasons I bought that new smoker! This year my hot sauces are going to take on a whole new dimension! anger.gif  Smoked Jalapeno's (Chipotle) sauce is first on the list, followed by the smoked Habanero and others! I'd like to trade ya some of my bottled sauce to try yours if you would be interested? Looks good!  greedy.gif

Here are some of my homegrown Anaheim Peppers I grilled this past weekend stuffed with seasoned hamburger, chedder cheese, & sweet onions. Was pretty tasty!

Oh yeah lol.... and BACON!  :)  Gotta have the bacon.

post-1293-0-12437200-1407166273_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-07702300-1407166323_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'd like to trade ya some of my bottled sauce to try yours if you would be interested? Looks good!  greedy.gif

Hey Cobra. Just ordered another dozen 5 oz bottles. I hit you up when I get the next batch made.

Cool brother yeah I need to re-up on my woozie bottle supply as well. It's getting about that time of year again! I have a pretty good supply now of the Red Habanero sauce bottled in a few flavors with some yellow too. Racegal helped me put up a bunch last batch and it's takin' up space in my fridge. Need to start up a new Hot Sauce thread in my biz section I guess.

• Like 1