So I have a promag 20 round saiga 12 drum laying around and no saiga 12 to use it in.  But I do have an mka and spare mags.  Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to mate the 2 together?  Pictures and videos would be nice also. 

some one made one for their MKA, pretty straight forward, mated a 5 round MKA to a drum using a epoxy.

I did one for the mag well SAIGA, using a 10 round PROMAG drum. what I used was a strong epoxy, J-B WELD, to mate the cut down mag to the drum. go ahead and laugh, but J-B WLD  that is some strong epoxy, after it cured and harden I took the drum and hit the mag well hard against the edge of a table, and it was like it was one piece.

the most critical thing is that the feed tower has to be cut perfectly straight across  and that you align the opening of the cut drum to the bottom of the mag opening so that it's perfectly lined up, a wood alignment jig helps big time, I'm here to tell you. you don't have much room for error, if it isn't perfectly lined up the shells will not feed up the tower.

you will also have to put a couple or  three more turns to the inner drum,  so that the spring tension is a lot stronger to push up the shells up the tower, along with making additional spacer shells so that the rest of the live shells in the tower feed up to the SG.

I just gave you the whole thing on how to make one  for yourself

picture of his MKA drum, from the net. if you look he countered the bottom of the mag to follow the drum tower.

post-31782-0-50702600-1340420043.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

My idea was make an adapter somehow to snap on to the holding points of the drum. Kinda like the rock and lock method the saiga uses for the drum.  Then weld the adapter to the mka mag then just rock and lock the assembled mag and adapter to the drum.  But not sure how I can make an adapter.... Or if the adapter is made of plastic jb weld it to the steel mka mag.. But in the end the drum could be reused for the saiga 12 if needed.. 

Edited by KIRCH76

My idea was make an adapter somehow to snap on to the holding points of the drum. Kinda like the rock and lock method the saiga uses for the drum.  Then weld the adapter to the mka mag then just rock and lock the assembled mag and adapter to the drum.  But not sure how I can make an adapter.... Or if the adapter is made of plastic jb weld it to the steel mka mag.. But in the end the drum could be reused for the saiga 12 if needed.. 

what I got from your describing it, you want to make a adapter so it goes into the MKA mag well, so that you can just lock the drum, without any modification to it other then take the steel feed lip.   if that is the case; 

so how are you going to keep the shells in the drum when you are loading it? that steel feed lip you want to take off is what holds the shells in the drum. you take that thing off, there is nothing keeping the shells in.

only way I see a adapter to  work the way you want it to, is if you separate the upper and lower receiver and load the shells in through the mag well.

No the feedlips from the mka mag will keep the shells in... I'll have to use a couple dummy rounds to take up the space of the mka feed stack though.  So this is how I can picture it.  You have a saiga drum with the metal feed lips removed.  And you have a mka mag cut down to a preferred length.  Then you have an adapter that will rock and lock on to the drum and be welded to the bottom of the mka mag.  So when using the drum on the mka the assembled unit stays together even when loading.  So you put 2-4 dummy rounds in first then load the live rounds... On the last round the dummy rounds will stay in the feed stack because the drum will only push until the factory drum  round reaches the top.  

No the feedlips from the mka mag will keep the shells in... I'll have to use a couple dummy rounds to take up the space of the mka feed stack though.  So this is how I can picture it.  You have a saiga drum with the metal feed lips removed.  And you have a mka mag cut down to a preferred length.  Then you have an adapter that will rock and lock on to the drum and be welded to the bottom of the mka mag.

got you, sounds like it is very  doable, I have a idea of what you might use a adapter, it will be wide enough for the drum tower and  that you can attach the rear mag locking mechanism and mill out the front  lug catch, and will be rock solid when attached to the bottom of the cut down MKA mag....... a  large and thick rectangle   piece of aluminum stock. it will be soft enough where you can drill out the middle of it the same size as the SAIGA drum feed tower and the bottom of MKA mag,  slot the back for the mag latch, and there would be no need to do any welding. a very strong epoxy can be use to attach it to the MKA to it.

good luck, when you get done  post some picture of your new creation smile.png

meanwhile back in my basement I am making a 70 round drum for my 9mm PPS43 pistol, using a SUMOI drum. which is nice since the SUMOI drum is far cheaper then a PPSH41 drum I made for my 7.62 PPS43.

Nice!  Good luck on your project and Thanks for your input

you're welcome. and it's not much of a project to make that drum for me, I have made quite a few 7.62x25 PPS drums, so I have it down pat, it's just very time consuming and exacting work. I have about 1mm of play in lining up everything, otherwise it won't feed. this will be the same method, the only additional thing I have to do is to put a 4.5 mm spacer in the front inside  of the feed tower to take up the space for the 9x19mm round.

• 2 months later...

Hello Jim,  I look forward to seeing the photo of your new Drum Magazine. Can you put up a  link to the Swedish  distributor please?

I have just got my British, Registered Firearms Dealer (R.F.D.) license and will be applying for an import and export license. So getting

kit shipped in should not be a problem. Thank you Tony

Hello Jim,  I look forward to seeing the photo of your new Drum Magazine. Can you put up a  link to the Swedish  distributor please?

I have just got my British, Registered Firearms Dealer (R.F.D.) license and will be applying for an import and export license. So getting

kit shipped in should not be a problem. Thank you Tony

PM sent

• 1 month later...