Finally have an S-12 that runs!!!

I have been fighting this gun for 5 years now, and every step of the way, this pig has dodged, squealed, and ran from running correctly. I sent it to JTE, and it came back almost as horrid as it left, I have purchased every part I could to try and make it run better, and it never would do a damn thing. I finally had enough, and took it to a local smith here in Vegas, (Brad from NFA for all the Vegas locals) and had him fix the cant on my gas block, drill my ports to .093", re-profile my hammer, and level my titan rail. As soon as it was ready, I picked it up and immediately took it out to the range, and after setting the autoplug, shot over 100 rounds of federal 3dram 1 1/8oz 1200fps 7 1/2 shot in under 20 mins without 1 hiccup. 

I took this

2014 07 11 00.27.10

and did this

2014 07 06 15.27.12

and it was oh so fun!!!

Now it is time to add the GK-01 CSS clone, and cut down the barrel to 13.5".

• Like 1

congrats on finally getting it to run properly....i sold mine about 3yrs ago due to similar problems..sometimes it would run ok..then it wouldnt run at all..changed out the plug to a mdarms plug and added a reduced recoil spring..worked a little better.. then it failed again..finally got fedup of it and sold it..Some of them are a hit or a miss..its a damn shame the amount of money the average person has to spend on one for it to run correctly...i think they are junk compared to the vepr 12..

thanks,

you are probably right about the vepr12 v. S-12, but when I got this in 2009, the vepr12 was only a dream gun here in the states. I will get myself a vepr12 one day. I'm just happy I got this pig finally running.  

Yeah, I have a lot of money into this shotgun.  

Sorry your experience was as crappy as mine was, I just had to persevere. Glad I did, as this gun is really fun to let loose.,

I had some similar problems with the S-12 I got  two Christmas's ago. When I first got it  it wouldn't hardly cycle at all. Tried some band aid fixes like weaker recoil spring, different puck and Auto plug with very little improvement.

I finally sent my bolt & carrier to Pauly for a Glass Bolt polish. Again, helped a little, but not a fix. Decided to tear into my gas block. Found my 4 holes were clean and the right size, but the hole surrounding the gas holes was partially blocking a coupling of the holes. Opened it up with a Dremel and this seemed to help a lot.

Next in my story, I decided to convert it. After studying up on the process, I tore into it and installed a kit from CSS. The cycling got worse again.

Now I'm getting a little discouraged. I decided to send the hammer and Fire Control Group to Shannon at Cobra's Custom for reworking. Also, at Shannon's advice I reinstalled the factory puck and the factory gas adjuster.

I have put a bunch of rounds through it and now it is running great. I would strongly advise anybody with Saiga problems to get in touch with Shannon. The man';s a magician with Saigas. Again, at Shannon's advice I purchased a MD Arms Booster Puck that I install when I want to run wimpy loads with gas adjuster on position 2. I kind of think that when I shoot a bunch more rounds that the Booster Puck will no longer be needed. A lot of what these guns need is really to be broken in by shooting them.

Peace Out

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one curious about what JTE has to say about this?

My question is what was it sent to JTE for? Conversion? Reliability? A combo?

To be fully functional, it should be able to cycle from the hip.

I think it is reasonable to expect a shotgun to cycle from the hip with loads that would be used for defense. Bulk packs, not so much.

• Like 3

I would be able to live with a Saiga 12 that didnt cycle light loads from the hip (as I was with mine for a long time). Just saying that technically to be fully functional, it can use any loads no errors and from the hip.

My saiga 12 will cycle winchester bulk pack from the hip through a MD20. I have a css puck and MD gas plug on setting 3. The thing I cant figure out is it will only feed 3 inch and other magnum loads on gas setting 3 even in factory mags. If I turn down the gas to any lower setting ill get fails to extract. As long as I keep the gas plug all the way open it feeds everything I have. Can I possibly be overgased with factory ports? I like to think its just "broken in" really good.

Edited by Vance665

My saiga 12 will cycle winchester bulk pack from the hip through a MD20. I have a css puck and MD gas plug on setting 3. The thing I cant figure out is it will only feed 3 inch and other magnum loads on gas setting 3 even in factory mags. If I turn down the gas to any lower setting ill get fails to extract. As long as I keep the gas plug all the way open it feeds everything I have. Can I possibly be overgased with factory ports? I like to think its just "broken in" really good.

Fail to feed, fail to extract, or fail to eject?

• Like 1

Technically im not sure. It will extract the shell from the chamber but not far enough to eject. Its not extracting hard enough to eject the shell on the lower gas setting. As long as I leave the gas full on every thing runs fine. I don't have any signs of being over gassed though. Im not sure if I should be worried.

Edited by Vance665

Technically im not sure. It will extract the shell from the chamber but not far enough to eject. Its not extracting hard enough to eject the shell on the lower gas setting. As long as I leave the gas full on every thing runs fine. I don't have any signs of being over gassed though. Im not sure if I should be worried.

Did you open your gas ports at all, or check for obstruction?

I understand. That would be failure to eject. If no port work has been done it is unlikely for it to have too much gas. Sounds like an odd circumstance and I don't have a similar experience. How is the recoil when firing the 3" loads on MD setting 3?

I understand. That would be failure to eject. If no port work has been done it is unlikely for it to have too much gas. Sounds like an odd circumstance and I don't have a similar experience. How is the recoil when firing the 3" loads on MD setting 3?
he said out works fine on full gas. Sounds fine it me.

he said out works fine on full gas. Sounds fine it me.

The odd thing about it is that it should cycle most, if not all, 3" loads on the most restrictive gas setting of a factory gas regulator (unless there had been something done or added that is causing this). I'm not sure what the equivalent setting is on the MD regulator.

Recoil isnt too bad but I dont have another semi auto shotgun to compare it to. My rear receiver block looks good and my carrier isnt getting beat up or anything. I might try changing back to the factory puck to see what that does.

Am I the only one curious about what JTE has to say about this?

I was wondering the same thing. I sent a S12 that wouldn't cycle Federal three dram 7 1/2 shot loads worth beans even with the light recoil spring. Sent it to JT Engineering and as part of his "reliability service"  he sized the gas block and the ports in the barrel, aligned the gas system, profiled the hammer, machined the bolt and carrier to load a full mag on a closed bolt, trigger job, and installed the rock n lock. Gun came home running like a champ on the same loads it used to choke on. 

Edited by Inspector 12