muzzle brake adapters?

Hey guys I want to put a muzzle brake on my saiga.  I don't know if im ready to thread my barrel and I don't think there are many guys around my area to trust to thread my barrel for me.  I was looking around online and stumbled on this guy http://www.latitudearmory.com/store/rifle-parts/muzzle-brakes-19/aim-sports-inc-ak-sks-muzzle-brake-adaptor-14x1mm-l-h-threads-pjaad-o4i_128.aspx

Has anyone tried this or is this a bad idea?

best way to attach a muzzle device is one of two ways,

1)  thread the barrel 

2) have it silver solder or blind pined on.

both of those methods you can be absolutely certain without  any degree of doubt  the muzzle device  will stay on the barrel. those gimmicky set screw ones is just a projectile  waiting to be launched

you can if you want thread the barrel yourself, using the tools that was linked. but unless you plan to do several barrels  where you would need them every time, it's  simply not financially viable. send it off to have the barrel threaded or find a local gunsmith that knows how to do that.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

DPH used to have a clamp on break and flash hider for stock Saigas. They launched like like grenades, eventually.

Here is one, but it is high dollar.

http://www.kenarnoldcsa.com/guntecusasaiga223545x39762x39qdboltonsteelmuzzlebrakeusmade.aspx

I have one of the old DPH ones. I have shot thousands of rounds with it. Have never had a failure like some experienced. I wonder some times if its just a ticking bomb or I just got one of the good ones. Would like to see them make some again. Edited by Chevyman097

DPH used to have a clamp on break and flash hider for stock Saigas. They launched like like grenades, eventually.

http://www.kenarnoldcsa.com/guntecusasaiga223545x39762x39qdboltonsteelmuzzlebrakeusmade.aspx

I have one of the old DPH ones. I have shot thousands of rounds with it. Have never had a failure like some experienced. I winder some times its its just a ticking bomb or I just got one of the good ones. Would like to see them make some again.

I had one of the DPH brakes that lasted (the first one I got and wrote about), but later had one on a different Saiga that launched.  From what I have read since, I think you and I got the only good ones!

I have found a few clamp/set screw on muzzle devises down range when I have gone out to change targets at my out door range!

Not sure the brands, but kinda wished I would have picked them up just to see!

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of the old DPH ones. I have shot thousands of rounds with it. Have never had a failure like some experienced. I wonder some times if its just a ticking bomb or I just got one of the good ones. Would like to see them make some again.

Funny you should say that.......as long as you are running one of the phantom f/h's we did for the clip, you should be fine. It was the 74 style compensator that caused the problem. We do in fact have an engineering guy working on the redesign to see if we cant get rid of the weak points that we found with the compensator.

Scott

• Like 2

Hey Scott.  Are you going to clue us in?  I still think it was an awesome idea (in fact I was one of the guys pressuring you to go from FH to brake back in the day)  I would love to see another break from you guys.  I volunteer to test it.

I have one of the dph phantom f/h's with the clip bought years ago and it still works fine. When I installed it the first time I noticed that the bottom of the threated portion was not supported since only the top half of the clip was threated. To compensate for that I took a piece of copper tubing about an inch long with a similar diameter of the barrel and cut it lenthwise. I placed that piece on the bottom portion of the clip and as I threated the phantom f/h on it cut its own threats into the copper. A little loctite and voila. The clip is now supported fully at both the top and bottom. Maybe if dph could do that with steel for their redesign?

PS: I better mention that I had to trim the shim a little bit because cutting the piece of tubing in half was too big for a flush fit, but I think you get the idea of what I did. Thanks.

Edited by shortyd044