my .223 AK speed loader

man,  I hate loading rounds one at a time in a mag. and those loading gizmos are no better, to me anyways,  it's still one at a time, but now you're manipulating some lever.

when I go to the range I want to spend a good percentage of my time  shooting rather then loading magazine.  well, having just about all my 5.56 on stripper clips for my AR15, I was eyeballing the BETA CO. AR15 speed loader and see what I could do to this where it will fit over a 5.56 AK mag, I have a Bulgarian SLR 106 so that is a Bulgarian 5.56 mag.

well,  a lot of shaving of the inside of base to thin it out  and cutting  the front of it completely out, so the front of the mag that has a front lug  can fit inside the base,  then installing a piece of bent steel around the front  and notching the back for the rear lug here is the result  smile.png ;

I tried it on a AK74 mag and it works on that as well, so I am sure it should work with the SAIGA .223 mag

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 2

BETA CO. has them for $19.50 plus shipping.

here is a the un-linked website, it's the 3rd one down.

www.betaco.com/cmag_product_details.asp

now the Chinese company  NcStar makes a copy of that, and I believe it's cheaper, but I decided to spend my money on a US made product

• Like 1

Good job Matthew.

For my loose ammo I use this little booger that came with a mag I bought.  It will only do five at a time, but putting them in the slot and ramming them home beats the shit outta thumb fucking them.

I'm thinking about grabbing one of these

Here's a vid of it from the reviews

here are  a few pictures of the modified base of the loader, the back notch and the cutting out of the front is easy. what takes the most time, and well worth the time IMO,is shaving  the inside of the base. I would say that about 1/2 of the thickness has to shaved off on all 3 inside sides, as well as you will  have to  "flatten" the top part so that the AK mag sits flush there, if you get one and look inside you'll know what I mean, the top inside is rounded over. theAK mag has to  sit flush up there with the stripper clip ledge. 

if you look at the bottom picture and left, you will see something that looks like horns, that the ledge the stripper clip sit on. you don't want to touch those or damage them, otherwise all your effort is for nothing, I went carefully and slowly around those 

SAR3_loader1.jpg

Good job Matthew.

For my loose ammo I use this little booger that came with a mag I bought.  It will only do five at a time, but putting them in the slot and ramming them home beats the shit outta thumb fucking them.

I'm thinking about grabbing one of these

Here's a vid of it from the reviews

thanks smile.png

the LULA and the PRO-MAG  BETA CO style loader  are alright, but it's still a one at a time tedious method.  like I said most all my 5.56 is on stripper clips, have to get more stripper clips to load the rest smile.png .  

I wanted to have something where I could use them  on my 5.56 AK mags, I modified another BETA speed loader for my HK33 mags, so there was no reason why I couldn't try my hand on the AK.  no such things like that exist in the market, HK and AK 5.56 stripper clip loaders, so I figured I'll see if I can modify a BETA speed loader.  you know that saying, nothing ventured nothing gained.

now I can load my 5.56 AK mags as fast as my AR mags, which means I can take less mags to the range, and spend less time loading. it only takes 9 or 10 seconds to load a 20 round mag, and that's going slow, maybe 14 seconds for 30. can't beat  that with a onesies at a time gizmo

BTW; if you want a slick and fast way to load 5.56 on stripper clips, I found this on YOUTUBE a long time ago, and have been using that method.