russian sanctions hitting closer to home?

I dont really see it as a push against Russia, but rather an excuse to put sanctions against the 2nd Amendment. We should have seen this coming with the 5.45 ban.

I shoulda bought a 5.45 at the same time I bought my can of 5.45. Now when I go to buy it is gonna be "ban inflated" beaten.gif

• Like 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont really see it as a push against Russia, but rather an excuse to put sanctions against the 2nd Amendment. We should have seen this coming with the 5.45 ban.

Look over here at a television full of images showing death and airplanes flying over contested territory on the east side of Ukraine. While you're busy, we will be taking away your rights. Don't pay

I will proceed on the assumption that Russian ammo is included in the ban. If it isn't then it's a stroke of the pen to "fix" that (from the emperor's point of view).   And if I'm completely wrong

Lists it sold out as of 7/17/14, one of the first ones I went to after I had read up on the new sanctions. We will see how it goes. May just pick up a Bulgy kit and stow it away til I have the availability to complete it

"We are working with our importer to try and acquire what we can but are expecting Price increases."

Yep sold out.  Well there's lots of other AKs that don't come from Russia.  I just grabbed a Yugo a couple of weeks ago.

And if recent history has shown us anything, it's that you buy when you can cause supply can dry up quick.

Edited by Darth Saigus

Well, between US parts makers we do have options.

Currently everything is available from one shop or another except a production flat (although cadiz was making some for a while for their AOWs, unless they were making the front trunion...), front trunion, gas tube, & ejector block. 

Frankly, I know this will ruffle feathers, but IMO century has the right idea. Their little milled AKs made out of american parts from every other company are fairly sharp little guns. Maybe this is what it will take to give the US market the incentive to step up to the 21st century.

Also, firebird is making their aluminum Adkal clone, which is great. Now we need a version produced in volume to be sub $1200.

Going to hug my pre 08 S12 tonight. I presume that mag availability will take a temporary dip with the panic then stabilize, since we have many domestic manufacturers now, and I'm imagining a replacement parts industry to get under way if this lasts for any length of time. 

CSSpecs has you covered...

• Like 1

Agree with you about the century rifles. The milled ak's are good quality with nice furniture. Also, Arsenal will probably exclusively go Bulgarian builds which are very good and high quality AK's, with many parts identical to the Russian rifles, so I think we might be okay. Will I miss my Saigas? Oh hell yeah. But with the way the world is right now, I can't say I am surprised this finally happened.

My biggest heartache from this is Golden Tiger.  Losing that HURTS.

So I ordered another case.

Call me a hoarder.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I had stayed out of the 5.45 game for so long because ammo was so rare to find in MA. I have enough for my two 7.62 AK's but if I get a 5.45 now, with the likelyhood that russian standard and the bears wont be around, I'll have almost no options besides my surplus stash.....ahhhhhhh the decisions sick.gif

At this point if you're not in 5.45 I don't think it's your best move to jump in now.

My biggest heartache from this is Golden Tiger. Losing that HURTS.

Call me a hoarder.

Hoarder! Hoarder!!! look look a HOARDER!!!!!!

feel better now?big_smile.gif

I had that coming.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I keep hoping that maybe Putin and Obama will make friends and all sanctions will be lifted and SVDs and all the fun stuff we currently aren't getting will flow over in large numbers. Alas, it'll never happen under this admin

Take heart, that cocksucker Obama isn't King for life. Barring shit really going down the tubes, which is a possibility, the herd will elect a different stooge to assume the puppet chair for the Bansksters.

And we ALL know money trumps politics every time. Also saw on the world news tonight where the Hypocrite-In -Chief has decided that the US will not impose any additional economic sanctions on Russia over this, which means it was a gun grab by his minions with his tacit approval all along.....

Edited by Jpanzer

well i guess the double stack S12 mag is now only a pipe dream we once had in the past

Why? Since MD arms has this much time and R&D involved in getting to this stage, don't you think they would go ahead and sell to the existing S12 market?

GUYS,

THIS COUNTRY PUT MEN ON THE MOON, NOT ONCE, BUT SEVERAL TIMES.

THEY ACCOMPLISHED THIS BY ASSEMBLING THE FINISHED PRODUCT FROM PARTS AND PIECES FROM VETTED CONTRACTORS ALL ACROSS THIS COUNTRY.

DON'T TELL ME THAT WE CAN'T BUILD A BETTER KALASHNIKOV, THAN KALASHNIKOV.....

WHERE'S YOUR "CAN DO" AMERICAN SPIRIT?

FUCK 'TANG AND HIS PISS-ASSED SANCTIONS!

ANYONE KNOW A TAME SPOOK THAT CAN DO A "BLACK BAG" JOB ON THE ORIGINAL AK/SAIGA PRINTS AND SPECS AT IZMASH?

JUS' SAYIN'

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344
  • Like 1

The problem with the US-made AK is that in most cases, the typical AK buyer wants one in 7.62x39. If cheap Russian imported 7.62x39 goes away, and other manufacturers fail to export it in any real numbers, then the only real reasonable US-made AK is one in 5.56.

At that point, most people are going to be just fine buying an AR, or whatever other 5.56-cal, AR mag-fed black rifle is in style at the moment.

However I do know a couple dealers who say that interest in 5.56 AKs has really increased the past year or so, but unfortunately it's happened just as several of the most popular models either ended production (SLR-106), disappeared from the market entirely (SAR-3/WASR-3), or was just banned from import (Saiga .223). I think all that's really left is the Polish Archer, and what's left of the 5.56 Bulgarian SLR series rifles. Neither are entry-level AKs in price or in availability.

The 5.56 PAP pistol is a nice addition, but I'm sitting here wondering where is Zastava/Century with the full-length version of the PAP M21/M90 with factory AR mag well. Century has the manual up on their site, but the rifle is not for sale anywhere at this point in time.

In all likelihood, we may not see Russian ammo be sanctioned, as Rosoboronexport - who exports nearly all Russian ammo so far as I know, regardless of whose label is on it - is also responsible for much of the ammunition purchasing orders that we do for Afghanistan.

Afghanistan has already complained that we showed signs of wanting them to buy American-made helicopters, once sanctions against Russia called into question our contracts for purchasing and service of Russian-made aircraft - the only type of aircraft that ANA actually know how to fly, service, and maintain.

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/03/309178508/sanctions-put-pentagons-business-deals-with-russia-up-for-debate

Regardless, it has not stopped me from buying about a 1K case of 7.62x39 every month ever since the Ukraine business started to go down. Up until this year I've never owned so much 7.62x39 at any given time.

Personally I think this is sort of the last straw for me, and I'm more or less done with Russian-caliber firearms. If the M21/M90 becomes available, I'll probably buy one, but at this point if I buy more military rifles it will probably be AR type or those from friendly European nations - I have always wanted a nice SIG 556 with the QC issues wrapped up.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

This affects all of us to some degree but in the end most of us will adjust and get over it.

But for guys like Tony and Mark (and their employees) this is a VERY big deal.

Edited by Darth Saigus

MANCAT,

OK, WHO ELSE MAKES STEEL CASED 'X39 (AND 'X54R) AT THE SAME APPROXIMATE PRICE  AND DEGREE OF WHAT PASSES FOR QC IN THE RUSSIAN AMMO?

ROMANIA, BULGARIA?

I THINK THIS WOULD BE THE TIME TO BEGIN TO AGITATE FOR THE RETURN TO THE U.S. MARKET OF THE CHI-COM AK'S AND AMMO, AS WE'RE BEING DENIED THE RUSSIAN GUNS.

I THINK ANY ARGUEMENTS THE GOV'T. WOULD MAKE AGAINST THAT, EXCEPT OUT-AND-OUT GUN HATE, AND THEY DIDN'T SEEM TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE RUSSAIN GUNS POURING IN,, WOULD WEAR PRETTY THIN GIVEN HOW MUCH WE TRADE WITH THEM, AND HOW MUCH MONEY WE OWE THEM.

MAYBE THE CHI-COMS WOULD LIKE TO SET UP A FACTORY OVER HERE.

THE KENGS, THE ORIGINAL IMPORTERS OF CHINESE AK'S STILL HAVE THEIR BUSINESS IN ATLANTA, SELLING VARIOUS FIREARM RELATED ACCESSORIES; KENSIGHT, ETC., EVEN SOME POLY-TECH AK REPAIR PARTS, BOLTS, BOLT CARRIERS, NEW BARRELS, ETC.

JESS1344

Romania and Ukraine were the only two that really came close in numbers in recent years, and I don't know if the Ukraine factory (Lugansk) is still producing - it's right in the middle of the conflict area.

Now if you think that we're going to see the Chinese ban lifted, well.. This administration purposefully blocked the importation of hundreds of thousands of Korean-era US firearms, which arguably US taxpayers already paid for once before - but we could not be trusted to have them again. If you recall, the prevention of their import was referred to with such claims as the administration was trying to keep "weapons of war off of our streets." Really, that is what some politicians said about that action.

So the idea that they will lift the Chinese import ban, because we're upset about the Russian import ban.. Just not gonna happen, ever. This "sanction" is likely permanent, like so many others.

• Like 1

Does the Dickhead in Chief WANT to piss off Vladimir Putin and start a war with Russia? NOT a good idea. That guy is a serious badass and WILL NOT back down. He knows DingleBarry is a pussy. He'll push him all over the place.

• Like 1

Does the Dickhead in Chief WANT to piss off Vladimir Putin and start a war with Russia? NOT a good idea. That guy is a serious badass and WILL NOT back down. He knows DingleBarry is a pussy. He'll push him all over the place.

It's like a boy trifling with a bear.  Obama will get his butt handed to him by Putin.  Not to worry though, Obama will not go to the wrestling match.  He'll try to talk it to death and go no where.

Been expectign this from day one of the Ukranian debacle.  Made sure I had Izmash made 5.45x39 rifle and a supply of 7N6 before all this came to a boil. Already had a Izmash 7.62x39 rifle and stack of ammo for it.  I just remember all those nay sayers saying it will never happen. Yeah, right.... Saw this one coming from light years out. 

BTW, everyone get their Mosin Nagants yet? I am sure they will be next.

Edited by Saigaczech

My biggest heartache from this is Golden Tiger.  Losing that HURTS.

Call me a hoarder.

I'm not seeing Vympel, or any of the other popular Russian ammo companies, anywhere on the naughty list. Not to say it won't happen at some point, but as of the 7/16 revision of the SDN I don't think they are restricted from importing to the US. Either way, I'm sure there will be some panic buying for a while.

http://www.treasury.gov/ofac/downloads/t11sdn.pdf

I know we all want Russian ammo to be safe, but do you think the administration would just let that slide? That they just forgot to ban the ammunition they have been trying to ban for years?

The company names in Russia are not the brand names they use in the US.

Vympel is an acronym. The real name of the manufacturer is FEDERAL STATE UNITARY ENTERPRISE, which you will find on page 281 of the document you linked.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Like just about everyone else who has an interest in hunting, sport shooting, firearm collecting, etc., I don't put anything past this administration at this point. But this is also an area they have to tread very carefully in, so the scope is going to be very narrow at this point and explained (politically anyway) as being unrelated to anti-firearm regulation...though none of us need poli-sci degrees to figure out the truth of it.

To the point of your additional info, that explains why I didn't find them. I looked them up as FEDERAL STATE ENTERPRISE, which is how they list the company name on the Russian Golden Tiger website. I appreciate the info, but I wish I hadn't been wrong on this one.

From this administration I have seen no inclination to tread lightly when it comes to American citizens. They seem to like to tread all over us with iron sole boots.

With terrorists or dictators they tread so lightly its like a shaolin monk walking on rice paper.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1