Is this real? Did Obama ban SAIGA?

I'm not surprised at all, still sucks though. I was just telling a friend of mine the other day that I expected this to happen....glad I have one in the back of the safe, its a full factory stock S-12, hell I never fired it.

Classic political shit.  He is using the excuse of Russia misbehaving in Ukraine to ban imports from that country, which would be a fair reason if he banned all imports from there.  But for some reason, it is only the thing that the liberals don't like.  Why weren't the other imported things banned as well?  Guns  are such a small amount, they don't even make the list:

Russia's exports to America amounted to $27.7 billion or 1.2% of overall US imports.

1. Oil: $19.9 billion

2. Iron and steel: $1.7 billion

3. Inorganic chemicals: $1.4 billion

4. Fertilizers: $887.6 million

5. Gems, precious metals, coins: $819.8 million

6. Aluminum: $538.8 million

7. Fish: $331.1 million

8. Rubber: $250 million

9. Other base metals: $236.6 million

10. Iron or steel products: $193.9 million

Source: <http://www.worldsrichestcountries.com/top_us_imports.html>

Glad I got my Legion-converted Saiga-12 already. And I'm glad this is billed as sanctions, as opposed to a new policy, like the banning of Russian "armor piercing" handgun ammo, like was done recently. At least sanctions aren't technically permanent. Hopefully.

Edited by MR_22
  • Like 1

Good thing I traded into a Saiga 7.62 X 39 a few weeks ago and picked up my Saiga 5.45 X 39 on Monday. Scored a ten pack of Bulgarian Circle 21 mil surp new in wrapper condition mags at a reasonable price and found a crate of surplus 5.45 X 39 at a good price recently.

Now to order the parts to convert both from CSS and will be good to go.

Glad I got my Legion-converted Saiga-12 already. And I'm glad this is billed as sanctions, as opposed to a new policy, like the banning of Russian "armor piercing" handgun ammo, like was done recently. At least sanctions aren't technically permanent. Hopefully.

I'll consider that possibility when the temporary sanctions on Chinese arms from 20 years ago are lifted.

• Like 6

The ban on Chinese rifles and pistols was intended to be permanent. Had just one or two companies been named, we would be getting new imports now.. 

One positive is that Russian companies go through names faster than I go through shoes.. So its possible that they will go "bankrupt" and then reform under a new name.

Saigas are still legal to import from Russia provided they are not made by the company on the list.. So in the future this could be resolved.

• Like 3

Hope you got it from a good dealer.. some will sell it out from under you..

Just replied in another thread that I'm glad I went ahead and got my Saiga IZ132 on layaway at a fixed price 10 days ago because prices are probably about to go through the roof.

http://www.guns.com/2014/07/17/breaking-new-russian-sanctions-wont-affect-ak-owners-but-may-affect-new-ak-buyers/

Hope you got it from a good dealer.. some will sell it out from under you..

Just replied in another thread that I'm glad I went ahead and got my Saiga IZ132 on layaway at a fixed price 10 days ago because prices are probably about to go through the roof.

http://www.guns.com/2014/07/17/breaking-new-russian-sanctions-wont-affect-ak-owners-but-may-affect-new-ak-buyers/

Nah, I'm good to go; pulled and put aside with my name on it a little over a week ago... I checked.

In fact, the dealer has a few Saigas left but said if somebody tries to buy one tomorrow he'll probably be out of luck.

There's plenty of country's that make AKs, learn to build from a flat

That's true, but there's nothing like the original... I looked at a couple dozen other makes, but in the end I just had to have the Izhmash. Looks like it's going to end up being one of my better buys ever.

Edited by G8R8U2

well this sucks. hopefully this doesn't stunt the aftermarket support for saigas. veprs should be unaffected, except for demand jumping through the roof.

I am concerned for the aftermarket, I think many of the manufacturers are going to take a huge hit.....I mean why would you continue to make parts for guns that are no longer available in this country? I intend to buy a conversion kit tomorrow for the S12 I have in the back of safe, I think anyone sitting on an unconverted Saiga should do the same, makes it worth even more if you have a basic conversion kit to go with it.

well this sucks. hopefully this doesn't stunt the aftermarket support for saigas. veprs should be unaffected, except for demand jumping through the roof.

I am concerned for the aftermarket, I think many of the manufacturers are going to take a huge hit.....I mean why would you continue to make parts for guns that are no longer available in this country? I intend to buy a conversion kit tomorrow for the S12 I have in the back of safe, I think anyone sitting on an unconverted Saiga should do the same, makes it worth even more if you have a basic conversion kit to go with it.

I think thats a good idea.. but not for a resale value increase.. how bout if/when the SHTF and just having the Saiga in 'correct' format.

The only thing I think made Saiga specific is handguards and 'special' mags..

The standard internals (like G2) & AK mags work as does most wood sets 'after' making the Saiga AK stylized.

Edited by YWHIC

I think thats a good idea.. but not for a resale value increase.. how bout if/when the SHTF and just having the Saiga in 'correct' format.

The only thing I think made Saiga specific is handguards and 'special' mags..

The standard internals (like G2) & AK mags work as does most wood sets 'after' making the Saiga AK stylized.

Well I purchased the one I have with the intent to sell it at HIGH market value, it's about the only way I can recoup some of the cash I've had to put out because of over inflated markets. You know...prices always go up, but they rarely come back to their base. I may end up keeping it, my wife seems to think I will, but what does she know rolleyes.gif   

I decided (after reading a couple of other posts) to go ahead and place an order with Dinzag last night, hope I didn't wait too long 012.gif 

How long before the factory 5 and 8 round mags start to dry up? I would like a few more factory Saiga mags but im already saving up for more css steel mags. Would I be better off getting the factory mags now?

The real question here is "do you think there are any left to buy"????

• Like 1

I was thinking of off-loading my Saiga 12 in favor of buying a VEPR 12.  Guess that plan got the brakes permanently.  Saiga for life.

I would imagine that most shops producing parts for the Saiga/VEPR in the US would continue on for at least sometime.  They may even see more business for the short term as people rush to get all the stuff they can/want while they still can.  There are tons of Saigas already state-side, and anything state-side is completely legal to buy and sell.  And they will still need support (magazines, some US-made "spare parts", etc).

We may not see many new products being developed around them, but I would expect to see old products last well until the point that nobody bothers to buy magazines or parts anymore.  I know that I will continue to buy US-made magazines for my Saiga for quite some time, and now that I am not switching to the VEPR there are some more projects to be done on the saiga.

How long before the factory 5 and 8 round mags start to dry up? I would like a few more factory Saiga mags but im already saving up for more css steel mags. Would I be better off getting the factory mags now?

The factory VEPR 5-round mags fit my Legion-converted Saiga-12 (with magazine well)--with a minor modification to the lockup tab. I've got 4 of those. Wish I had gotten more when they were discounted at $16 each.

The real question here is "do you think there are any left to buy"????

Css steel it is. That was easy.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the aftermarket. Look at cars. You can still find newly manufactured parts for muscle cars from the 60s and 70s. There aren't that many of these cars left on the road, but the demand is there and as a result the manufacturers are also. We should be fine. Obama will just cost us more money, which is his standard MO.

Edited by jekbrown

I wouldn't worry about the aftermarket. Look at cars. You can still find newly manufactured parts for muscle cars from the 60s and 70s. There aren't that many of these cars left on the road, but the demand is there and as a result the manufacturers are also. We should be fine. Obama will just cost us more money, which is his standard MO.

We'll see........I've been around here long enough to know where most of these parts that you are referring to started from, and you can bet your pitutty they didn't start from some big corporation that has endless funds for R&D. Most of these vendors are small businesses that only exist because of these guns/parts/services, sad to say, some will proly not survive this.