Is this real? Did Obama ban SAIGA?

gentlemanjim, on 18 Jul 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

AA re-cvrd, on 18 Jul 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

These two words should never be used in the same sentence, Chinese and quality nonono.gif

I dont know...they are really good at making more chinesehaha.gif

And egg rolls

These two words should never be used in the same sentence, Chinese and quality nonono.gif

80 years ago, maybe. Chinese military products can be very well-made. I have a number of Chinese arms that are better made than their Russian equivalents. My Type 54 is the smoothest and most accurate TT33 I've ever laid my hands on - and my milled MAK 90 is surprisingly accurate, the fit and finish are excellent - I'd put it up again any Eastern-bloc milled gun from the 90s.

The Catamount guns are crap - as are many Chinese products. When you focus on price versus quality, that happens - whether you're in Xiangdong or Detroit.

• Like 2

Look at the bright side.  You can still get a Catamount Fury.

Oh no you di'int!!! 010.gif

Seriously though, the Chinese are perfectly capable of making decent guns. They just choose to sell us cheap crap cause they know we'll buy it.

I'm getting one. I'll probably shoot it a while as-is to see how it holds up and see if it is worth bothering with. I have a hard time trusting reviews. Either people have reasons to bash something and call it crap or they don't fire the weapon enough to expose its weaknesses and say it is great. If it is going to break, I will break it.

• Like 1

80 years ago, maybe. Chinese military products can be very well-made. I have a number of Chinese arms that are better made than their Russian equivalents. My Type 54 is the smoothest and most accurate TT33 I've ever laid my hands on - and my milled MAK 90 is surprisingly accurate, the fit and finish are excellent - I'd put it up again any Eastern-bloc milled gun from the 90s.

The Catamount guns are crap - as are many Chinese products. When you focus on price versus quality, that happens - whether you're in Xiangdong or Detroit.

I have personally had and used both a Russian and a Chinese AK (battlefield pickups) while "downrange". They are worlds apart in fit and function. Both worked. The Russian was a LOT more accurate, and easy to strip down. The Chi-Com was a pile of sharp edges and generally poor workmanship. The inside looked like it was made by a drunk monkey with a wood rasp. 

Since I've been out of the military, I've seen Chi-Com copies of Win 97, Win 87, and 12GA double barrel guns. They looked like copies of worn out guns.  ALL were rough, frequently requiring refitting by experienced gunsmiths to even approach proper functioning and reliability. The metallurgy is also suspect, but I don't remember the specifics of that.

Edited by patriot

The Chinese AKs and SKSs that were imported in the 80s and 90s are high quality. Usually when they make something for war, they build them well. We have become a disposable society here in the US. When something breaks we just buy another one. Thats why just about everything in our stores never lasts very long in our homes. As long as we buy the garbage products they produce they will continue to produce garbage. I own several V12s, but had to buy an S433a recently, to compare to the Vepr. It turned out to be an excellent purchase and I am very happy with it. I can swap 3 different kinds of mags between the 2 V12s and the S433a. I had to shoot them both to satisfy my curiosity on which one was better. Everyone has opinions on different firearms, and had I listened to the Pro -Veppy boys, I never would have known how good the S433a is. Now Im a Saiga junkie too.

I'm getting one. I'll probably shoot it a while as-is to see how it holds up and see if it is worth bothering with. I have a hard time trusting reviews. Either people have reasons to bash something and call it crap or they don't fire the weapon enough to expose its weaknesses and say it is great. If it is going to break, I will break it.

True.

But on the other hand vendors, builders and reviewers have a vested interest in saying something is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It works both ways.

From what I've seen and handled of them in LGS', they are hunks of shit compared to a 109 and a 109 is nothing to write home about.

• Like 2

True.

But on the other hand vendors, builders and reviewers have a vested interest in saying something is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It works both ways.

From what I've seen and handled of them in LGS', they are hunks of shit compared to a 109 and a 109 is nothing to write home about.

I don't doubt that they are substandard in direct comparison to the V12 and S12. My curiosity is whether they are better than starting from scratch.

Well, not to rub salt in anybody's wounds, but I had my Legion-converted Saiga-12 out shooting over the weekend and had an almost-flawless session. I had only shot buckshot in it before, believing that the gas system was tuned for it, because it shot buckshot very well.

So, I decided to see how well it shot cheap packs of birdshot from Walmart. I shot 50 rounds of the shots and the only problem I had was one round failed to load in a 10-round magazine when I was firing rounds as quickly as I could to test reliability. Everything else shot at 100%. I was extremely pleased. :)

And, typically when I shoot 2 boxes of 12-gauge shells, my shoulder is sore for a few days. Not so today. The cycling of the Saiga seems to take the bulk of the recoil out of the rounds, such that it's like shooting any other semi-automatic firearm.

Dang, I LOVE this gun! :) My flashlight did pop loose while shooting, so I guess I need it tighter with maybe some locktight--but if that's the only problem I have, I have really nothing to complain about!

I see sellers jacking up prices of Saigas already in the local classifieds--but frankly, I see more AK-47's NOT AFFECTED by the sanctions being listed for more, with mention of the "ban" in the ad. Like, people are selling Yugo AK-47's and saying people better buy them fast before they're no longer available. Even dealers seem to be doing that, so they must know they are lying. That's disgusting.

Edited by MR_22

Ha ha! Sweeeet! I just got one of those recently. Awesome shotguns- 433a Taktika. You can use the SGM V12 mags in that model, as well as the Molot factory mags with minor mod. I put a kicklite stock on mine. She eats everything I feed her, including low recoil and Wally World special. Nice build! If I had some cash flow right now I would buy another one.

Ha ha! Sweeeet! I just got one of those recently. Awesome shotguns- 433a Taktika. You can use the SGM V12 mags in that model, as well as the Molot factory mags with minor mod. I put a kicklite stock on mine. She eats everything I feed her, including low recoil and Wally World special. Nice build! If I had some cash flow right now I would buy another one.

Ah, right. Yeah, that model sounds about right. I bought it used for what I thought was a steal earlier this year from a guy who needed the cash quickly to finish a room in his house. I've been very pleased with it. I've added slotted-themed barrel shroud and flash hider, as well as a cheap flashlight that I need to tighten better, because it popped off while shooting over the weekend. I don't like the stock that came with it, but haven't decided what I want instead--but I'll keep the original pistol grip with the Saiga logo on it. I bought a folding stock mechanism, but not sure I want to use it. I might just get an adjustable-length stock. I'm not sure.

I have four of the 10-round SGM magazines that work in it (one of which you can see inserted in the photo). I also bought 4x factory original VEPR 5-round magazines, which I found cheap for $16 each. I made the modification to use them in my magwell and they work great! I wish I had bought more, as they aren't on sale any more. I think they are original Russian VEPR magazine because they have Russian characters stamped onto them.

In any case, I'm extremely pleased with it, especially since it seems to like cheap birdshot. Thanks for the comments!

I would like to get another one, too. Prices are already on the rise, but not as much as I thought they might be. I would really like to get a "regular" 7.62x39 Saiga, tho. Probably not going to happen now.

Edited by MR_22
  • 1 month later...

It is a weapons ban masquerading as a sanction. Bans have to have a starting point, in my mind this is it.

Just glad I got mine beforehand.

I have hopes that when the situation in the Ukraine settles down we'll once again see the saigas. Politically we won't be sanctioning Russia forever. That's not to say this administration or even the next won't ban imports all together.

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows where to a get a few more of the IZHMASH factory 8 round magazines

Of course Saiga-12.com is out now as the gun run for Saiga begins.

I don't see any on Gunbroker. I can get 5 rounders easy enuf but I need some 8 rounders. 

Any ideas are appreicated!

Thanks everyone.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows where to a get a few more of the IZHMASH factory 8 round magazines

Of course Saiga-12.com is out now as the gun run for Saiga begins.

I don't see any on Gunbroker. I can get 5 rounders easy enuf but I need some 8 rounders. 

Any ideas are appreicated!

Thanks everyone.

They still have them in stock at K-VAR http://www.k-var.com/shop/M-12S8.html

%20M-12S8_003-ki.jpg

you guys rock! thanks so much. 

the old Rio 2.75 00 Buck shells that are actually 3.00 don't feed for S*** in the aftermarket mags and drums (as I am sure you know)...so the factory mags are great.

I have a major investment in those RIO shells. ;)

(only $99 for 250 now)

thanks again!