US Treasury and Obama sanction Russian Arms manufacturers

http://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/jl2572.aspx

Izhmash is one.  Not sure how this will affect sporting arms like Saiga.

I do understand the logic, though, because Russia is just annexing Ukraine unilaterally, whether Ukraine wants it or not.

Edited by imarangemaster

Izhmash is one.  Not sure how this will affect sporting arms like Saiga.  For now Saiga/Vepr are not importable.

I do understand the logic, though, because Russia is just annexing Ukraine unilaterally, whether Ukraine wants it or not.  It is none of our business or concern what happens there, besides we are broke.

Edited by HOG76

I wouldn't panic too much on the ammo. Remember, wolf ammo is made in Ukraine and red army standard is romanian (pretty sure). other non affected sources from the former soviet satellite countries will be available even with russia being sanctioned. It just really sucks for saiga/vepr availability.

Glad I got mine when I did.  May check the budget and pick one up as an investment in case the prices jump up significantly. 

Worst case scenario, I have another Saiga Rifle...

Worst case.....hell! That is the best case!

I watched all the prices jump stupidly after SH , and thought , wow I can sell my $300 Saiga for $1000-1500 (and they were selling), then I was brought back to reality, could I ever get one at the price I paid? NOPE! Never one to sell firearms!

• Like 1

Been expecting this.  One reason I scrambled to get a SGL-31 when all this Ukrainian BS started. Personally, I am on Russia's side in this, historically the Ukrainians were Nazi supporters who aided Hitler and are know to have major Neo-Nazi movement going (which is what started this whole thing). I am pretty sure it was the Ukranians military who shot down the plane as it helps them get support from the west. Nothing we need to get mixed up with.

Next question, have enough ammo stacked up?

Edited by Saigaczech
  • Like 3

Uncoverted Saigas going for $900 -1200 in CA. Crazy.

I just got mine three weeks ago at the local gunshop in Grass Valley, CA for $599.00.  Prices have jumped on Gunbroker, but not as much as I would have expected.  Upp about $150 to $200, but bidding is heavy.

As far as ammo goes, I have 500 8M3 loaded Tula (ULYANOVSK) 124  grain HP, and about 700 Tula 122 grain FMJ from Wally World.  On the 1st, I'll pick up another 500 or so.  At 62, though, I don't shoot very much anymore (maybe 100 rounds per weapon, per year), so it should last me awhile.  After that, it will be my son's and he'll worry about it.  He's fairly well to do, and could buy US made ammo.

Edited by imarangemaster

For current owners of Kalashnikov firearms, the Treasury Department has stated that firearms already owned by Americans or in the secondary market are not affected by the sanctions. In a FAQs that accompanied the July 16th announcement, the Treasury Department made clear:

If a U.S. person is in possession of a Kalashnikov Concern product that was bought and fully paid for prior to the date of designation (i.e., no payment remains due to Kalashnikov Concern), then that product is not blocked and OFAC sanctions would not prohibit the U.S. person from keeping or selling the product in the secondary market, so long as Kalashnikov Concern has no interest in the transaction.

Full article: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2014/7/obama-administration-bans-import-of-popular-russian-firearms.aspx

Finally I own something that gain in value.

WOOHOO.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Izhmash is one. Not sure how this will affect sporting arms like Saiga.

I do understand the logic, though, because Russia is just annexing Ukraine unilaterally, whether Ukraine wants it or not.

As results any Izhmash made Saigas disappeared in my area stores, literally. I could still see them on armslist for the much higher price. I would suggest anyone who wish to get Russian AK or Saiga to hurry up. Nothing wrong happening with Russian ammo however, still all over internet with about same price.

Edited by mbjku

I don't think Saiga rifles are worth the price anymore.  I passed one up a couple weeks ago for 589, now they're even higher.  You can get an all new parts m10 for not much more, or a SLR-107 for the same price as what you have to put in a saiga for a decent DIY conversion.

I don't think Saiga rifles are worth the price anymore.  I passed one up a couple weeks ago for 589, now they're even higher.  You can get an all new parts m10 for not much more, or a SLR-107 for the same price as what you have to put in a saiga for a decent DIY conversion.

Who will stop me to own both? In my area (NJ) non-Izhmash AK is very expensive, for example I could get Arsenal made AK clone for no less than $1200. But I am not big fan of clones or fakes even good ones.

Edited by mbjku

I got mine for $600 out the door just before the ban (including $26 DROS and $45.00 tax.  Worked out to $530 for the weapon).  The fact that it is Russian made in the Izhmash AK factory (making REAL Russian AKs for 68 years) with a hammer forged chrome lined barrel, is worth a lot to me.  With less than $200 to do a first rate conversion, you have a REAL Russian Automat Kalashnikov.  Also, you can make it into what ever you want: East German side folder, Russian side fold, ACE stock, rails, or whatever.  If I lived in free america, I would use an East German ( or Romanian) side folder and a Romanian pistol grip handguard.

I got mine for $600 out the door just before the ban (including $26 DROS and $45.00 tax.  Worked out to $530 for the weapon).  The fact that it is Russian made in the Izhmash AK factory (making REAL Russian AKs for 68 years) with a hammer forged chrome lined barrel, is worth a lot to me.  With less than $200 to do a first rate conversion, you have a REAL Russian Automat Kalashnikov.  Also, you can make it into what ever you want: East German side folder, Russian side fold, ACE stock, rails, or whatever.  If I lived in free america, I would use an East German ( or Romanian) side folder and a Romanian pistol grip handguard.

I agree, even it is not true "automat" which means fully automatic in Russian. Saiga rifle was created for hunting of Saigacs, antelope like animals use to grow huge population in asian part of Soviet Union. They destroyed plantations and quickest way for develop firearm to reduce Saigacs was AK based modified rifle. This is where Saiga name came from. But yes it is AK and I like it for this, Arsenal etc are clones/fakes and I have not much interest paying lot for getting them. I paid for each of mine Saiga's $553 + tax/charge

Edited by mbjku