Don't Forget Parts! Complete Saiga Bolts Still Available for

KVAR has both 7.62x39 and 5.45 complete Saiga bolts in stock.  I'm surprised and glad to see these still available but would be even more surprised if they last the weekend.   If you have the funds, it might make sense to grab one as a spare.

The way I understand it, it's kind a crap shoot whether it will head space to your particular rifle, but if it doesn't you should be able to at least get your money back out of it once these are unobtanium again.  

Just about everything else on a Saiga can be replaced with parts from other countries, but the bolt and carrier cannot due to the narrower bolt stem.  Again, just be sure to get it checked before firing the rifle. 

As usual, no affiliation with the vendor, just trying to help this great community during our time of crisis.  unhappy.gif 

Edit: Forgot they were a vendor here and I can post links...

7.62x39 https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-057R.html

5.45x39 https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-182R.html

AK-057R.jpg

Edited by SGL
  • Like 1

They just raised the price by almost $25.00, but it's probably still worth it.

HB: No, I only saw x39 and 5.45 bolts.  No S12 or .308

Chevyman:  These are the same bolts as the SGL21, but I'm hesitant to say that they "fit".   Don't forget that it may not be headspaced properly for your barrel and you'll need a set of go/no-go gauges or a gunsmith to know for sure.   If it's not correct, you could have a catastrophic and very dangerous failure where the rifle could blow up in your face.  Not trying to scare you away, just making sure you know what you're getting into.

• Like 1

Will these firing pins work? https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-178B.html or is there another type that will?

Yes, it looks like that will fit.  You could also get the entire bolt repair kit at 

https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-178RK.html

KVAR is starting to irritate me now.  I could be wrong, but it looks like they removed the USPS option from the checkout page.

Instead of $1.25 to ship, they now make you pay $17.00+ to ship a firing pin.   

You can probably request USPS in the comments and if they see it they will most likely adjust the shipping, but removing the option from the site is pretty underhanded. 

Thanks that clears it up. Im just irritated with myself i drug my feet and didnt stock up on some of those needed backup items to keep around.  Its reassuring to know at least i have options and dont have to solely rely on Rusky specific items.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

Thanks that clears it up. Im just irritated with myself i drug my feat and didnt stock up on some of those needed backup items to keep around.  Its reassuring to know at least i have options and dont have to solely rely on Rusky specific items.

Just to clarify, you DO have to rely on the Ruskies for the bolt itself.   A bulgarian 5.45 firing pin should work, but as far as the bolt itself, you'll need the proper 7.62x39 Russian part.

Thanks that clears it up. Im just irritated with myself i drug my feat and didnt stock up on some of those needed backup items to keep around.  Its reassuring to know at least i have options and dont have to solely rely on Rusky specific items.

Just to clarify, you DO have to rely on the Ruskies for the bolt itself.   A bulgarian 5.45 firing pin should work, but as far as the bolt itself, you'll need the proper 7.62x39 Russian part.

ya I figured that much. Just like to know if minor things like the firing pin fail you can replace it alone.

Do these fit the SGL21 series? or can some one point me in the way of extra parts for the SGL series? firing pins and what not.

It said they'd fit and im hoping to hell it does, my x39 is an sgl-21. Now for an s-308 bolt.

Goddamnitt i was so close to getting an ar and now i have to do damage checks on my saigas!

Too bad the 5.45 rim is a bit bigger then the .223

It's not enough of a difference to matter. A 5.45 bolt will cycle 5.56 just fine.. There have been several threads on this. If you want a spare bolt for your Saiga .223, any Russian/Bulgarian/Polish/East German 5.45x39 bolt will work.

If you have extraction issues, the extractor claw can be adjusted to grip the rim tighter, but I have never heard of anyone having to do this, and many people have built 5.56 AKs with 5.45x39 bolts.

The only catch is that you lose the spring-loaded firing pin, so there is slightly more of a chance of having a slamfire with commercially-primed ammunition. However there are so many .223/5.56 designs that have a free-floating pin, I cannot see this as being that big of an issue.

Of course as with all other AK bolt replacements you MUST have the bolt checked for headspace.

KVAR is starting to irritate me now.  I could be wrong, but it looks like they removed the USPS option from the checkout page.

You can probably request USPS in the comments and if they see it they will most likely adjust the shipping, but removing the option from the site is pretty underhanded. 

There is a dropdown menu above the radio buttons for the default UPS rates that allows you to change carries from UPS to USPS. I think it's just a change in the website design...confusing if you aren't looking carefully.

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the bolt carrier assemblies.

And if anyone is looking to pickup Russian mags, Legion has a variety of Russian mags in stock, including the Izhmash 7.62x39 polymer magazines. Pricey, but original and NIB.

Edited by FLTF3

SGL: Thank you for the quick reply regarding the NON AVAILABILITY of S12 and S308 complete bolt heads. As far as using a extractor from a 5.45 inside a 5.56 bolt head, I kinda doubt the extractor will last any length of time. Also wondering if when the gun got really hot, would the expanded case stick inside the chamber because the wrong 5.45 extractor was installed on a 5.56 bolt head...

....May have ripped through the case rim? Just thinking out loud here playing what if? Also wondering how smart it would be going from a firing pin WITH a restraining spring to a firing pin WITHOUT a restraining spring? A floating pin. POSSIBLE eventual slam fires coming to mind caused by heat, dirt, etc..? Dunno fur sure. I for one would not do it. Just me. HB of CJ (old coot) Thank you.

There is a dropdown menu above the radio buttons for the default UPS rates that allows you to change carries from UPS to USPS. I think it's just a change in the website design...confusing if you aren't looking carefully.

Yeah, I'm very familiar with it.  I made a purchase a few days ago and used USPS drop down.  When I checked last night it had been removed.  I wrote them an email and it appears to be back up.  I'm not saying that they brought it back in response to me, but coincidental timing at the least.

SGL: Thank you for the quick reply regarding the NON AVAILABILITY of S12 and S308 complete bolt heads. As far as using a extractor from a 5.45 inside a 5.56 bolt head, I kinda doubt the extractor will last any length of time. Also wondering if when the gun got really hot, would the expanded case stick inside the chamber because the wrong 5.45 extractor was installed on a 5.56 bolt head...

....May have ripped through the case rim? Just thinking out loud here playing what if? Also wondering how smart it would be going from a firing pin WITH a restraining spring to a firing pin WITHOUT a restraining spring? A floating pin. POSSIBLE eventual slam fires coming to mind caused by heat, dirt, etc..? Dunno fur sure. I for one would not do it. Just me. HB of CJ (old coot) Thank you.

No reason the extractor should fail. Those that built 5.56 AKs on 5.45 parts kits have never had problems or failures with it.

As for the case expanding, I'm not aware of any case that expands at the rim.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm very familiar with it.  I made a purchase a few days ago and used USPS drop down.  When I checked last night it had been removed.  I wrote them an email and it appears to be back up.  I'm not saying that they brought it back in response to me, but coincidental timing at the least.

I was reading a thread over on AKfiles about this exact issue and it seems sporadic at best. Some have issues finding it, others don't. Then its there one minute and gone the next.

Had to grab myself one of the Bolt Repair Kits.

I was torn between the whole bolt or the kit, went with the kit because it has the stuff that breaks.

If they had bolt carriers in-stock, I would've grabbed one of those too.

Wish I could afford another rifle unsure.png

• Like 1