Saiga Sanctions - A hard look at the facts

I figured we needed a thread where we could toss emotion, bravado and political finger pointing aside and take a look at the cold hard facts.

I must admit I am not savvy when it comes to Presidential Executive Orders but when I read this one it seems very specific in places. Maybe that is a good thing?

1. It doesn't ban all small arm weapon exports from Russia, only those made by Kalishnikov Concern. (Special thanks to Nomad on another forum for pointing this out to me)

KALASHNIKOV CONCERN (a.k.a. CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; a.k.a. IZHEVSKIY MASHINOSTROITEL'NYI ZAVOD OAO; f.k.a. IZHMASH R&D CENTER; f.k.a. JSC NPO IZHMASH; f.k.a. NPO IZHMASH OAO; a.k.a. OJSC CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; f.k.a. OJSC IZHMASH; f.k.a. SCIENTIFIC PRODUCTION ASSOCIATION IZHMASH JOINT STOCK COMPANY), 3, Derjabin Pr., Izhevsk, Udmurt Republic 426006, Russia; Registration ID 1111832003018 [uKRAINE2].

Historically, Russia has displayed great ingenuity in skirting our import restrictions. If not, we wouldn't have a forum called Saiga in the first place. The Saiga was designed to get around our poorly thought out import restrictions. Do you think it is possible for Kalishikov Concern to close their doors and reform under a different identity or even relocate? Obviously if they were to do something like this immediately right now, the US would most likely respond with more widely encompassing sanctions, but down the road as tensions are eased I could see them doing something in this manner.

2. This executive order does not solely concentrate on Saigas or weapon manufacturers (from what I can tell). Read the entire thing here if you like, but I don't want to post the whole thing and annoy the TLDR crowd. rolleyes.gif

Why does this matter? Well it might matter when/if it comes time to lift the sanctions. At some point, someone either has to give or Putin and the Kenyan will throw us back into another cold war. When the time comes, because there are other large companies involved here, then the sanctions will need to be lifted. Now here is the part I don't know: Does the entire EO have to be rescinded or must there be another EO written to unsanction each individual entity? Can he selectively lift the sanctions? If he can, then we can probably forget about Kalashnikov Concern ever being lifted. I doubt even a sitting GOP president would touch it in the future.

Thoughts? Comments? Corrections?

Edited by Vermiform

Get whatever you still can and hold on tight to your current investment. I know I will.

Looking for a grain of positive: more business for our very own, American-made brands.

Not pimping anyone, but at least one more brand will be entering the market with All-American AK-patterned PDW, design of which started at the height of last anti-gun hysteria.

Let's break anti-gunners hearts and send them sobbing: support American first, and then alternative makes second.

Edited by Sgt. Raven

hell yeah lets quit freakin out and solve our problems if we could ban together I bet we could chip in enough to start an AK building co. here in the us as well as a 7.62x39 ammo plant. I have bitched about sending my money overseas about everything except my sweet little bang for the buck saigas.  If the gov. wants to stop imports we don't have many rights, but we have a whole bill of rights once the shit is on our shore. I would "personally" would pay SIG prices for an american AK with a high quality fit and finish. ( this is why tromix and many others have done well they polished a war machine till she shined like corvette, along with forward thinking and money and future on the line. I could be wrong on this but we have two paths one is the good times are over, or the best is yet to come!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I stumbled across this Moscow times article that seems to say Molot are not affected by the sanctions

"In fact, Russia itself has several non-Kalashnikov factories that produce AK rifles. Izhmash, the producer of the popular Saiga AK rifles for Kalashnikov — which is owned by sprawling state-owned corporation Rostex — is merely the most well known. U.S. customers will still be able to purchase Russian AKs from Molot — which produces the high-end Vepr line of Kalashnikov rifles. The standard 7.62x39mm ammunition used by AK designs can still be purchased from the Tula Arms Plant."

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/u-s-gun-owners-cry-foul-play-over-kalashnikov-sanctions/505013.html

• 5 months later...