So who's holding onto their 308s forever now?

• 4 weeks later...

I have never sold a gun in my life, and do not plan to start now! 

I sold two a Russain SKS, my first deer rifle, and my first purchased rifle... a semi auto .22 bolt action with a tube magazine thru the kinda ugly plastic stock.  I regret both to this day. 

Not going to happen with the Saiga.

Edited by hatzie
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have 2 Saiga 308s... a 16 in TROMIX Conversion side folder with a AK 74 break attached and Mojo-peep sites that truly rock and can hit 2 liters at 300 yrds... The Mojo sites made BIG accuracy improvement. My Second is the Ver. 21 with a Burris 2-7 compact with ballistic reticle and Harris Med. length Bi-Pods... got 2 deer at 400 plus yrds past couple years with it... Question is, would you trade either for a Norinco M14...which would you trade and why? A Buddy has a Norinco M14 and has offered for either but I'm kinda stuck on the offer and not sure since I have soo many accessories and extra mags for the Saigas and hate the idea of having to accessorize for another Semi-308. I also have 2 Saiga 12 converted by TROMIX also that will never leave home....picked them up way back when CDNN had then for like 230.00 and got a conversion turnaround from TROMIX in less than a month or soo...around 2002 and had less than 650 or so in each...the S-308s came later.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have four orginal condition brand new saigas two in 223 & two in 308win. They ain't going anywhere. I'd dump my m14 first. Saiga in 308 using South African surplus 308 ball ammo 1 1/2" groups at 100yds. Orginal sights. A sheet metal stamped receiver that's awesome. For just $307 it'd with taxes.

Edited by Unknown Poster
  • 1 month later...

I have four orginal condition brand new saigas two in 223 & two in 308win. They ain't going anywhere. I'd dump my m14 first. Saiga in 308 using South African surplus 308 ball ammo 1 1/2" groups at 100yds. Orginal sights. A sheet metal stamped receiver that's awesome. For just $307 it'd with taxes.

For the best, most accurate semi auto in 7.62x39 Russian it's the sks.

For the best, most accurate semi auto in 308win Russian Izhmash Saiga. In 223 ditto.

Why do I get the cold shoulder on forums when they talk about semi auto rifles and I bring up saigas?

In street wise terms my thug kid(no frills Saiga) will kick your A+ students(m1a butt). Nothing can match the ak/akm dependability, battlefield proven record. Nothing. Right?

• Like 1

Meh think best is fairly subjective and depends entirely on purpose.

SKS has its own set of issues.

Im not going to say a Saiga 308 is more accurate than an M1a though there are absolutely exceptions, that throw weight of the S308 bolt and carrier is going to have its effect just due to physics.

I discount custom hand loads as that benefits any rifle.

If you want a sub 4moa tank of a rifle suitable for rough use and confidence in going bang then not much can beat a well made AK design.

Everything else is pretty much window dressing.

• Like 1