It varies a lot gun to gun, and the size and quality of file does play a big part in how much effort it takes to fit them.

If you have a decent vise that has semi smooth jaws, you can grab the top half of the rear catch to do the second part. Its way faster if your not chasing the mag around. I find that setting the mag on a slight angle so that the area being filed is flat speeds the process by a good amount, since it takes less effort to find flat than some random angle. Once you get close, coloring the bare section with a bit of sharpie marker will show you any high spots the catch is contacting (the high spots will have the marker rubbed off).

In my defense, the forum members requested them to be tight and free of wiggles, even if fitting was needed.. Thus they are.

+1 for filing preferred

• Like 1

Got a question. Do you recommend any type of lubricant on your steel magazines?

Pretty much the same as an blued steel mag.

I suggest a little gun oil on the outside, and a small amount on the follower. If stored loaded skip the oil on the inside as it could react with the primers making them inert.

If the magazine gets wet, drying inside and oiling is probably wise.

In theory the coating is more rust resistant than stainless steel.... And Aks never jam, and M-16s are self cleaning. rolleyes.gif