How about a Beretta Cheetah tip-up barrel 380?

m1key,

KINDA BIG FOR A .380 BUT AS IT'S DOUBLE ACTION, YOU COULD LEAVE A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER, SAFELY, MAKING THE TIP-UP FEATURE A MOOT POINT, IMHO.

AS I RECALL, AND I COULD BE WRONG, BUT I THINK YOU CAN EVEN PUT THE THUMB SAFETY ON WITH THE HAMMER DOWN, MAKING IT DOUBLY SAFE.

AT THAT POINT, THE ONLY PROBLEMS, AS I SEE IT. ARE THE CALIBER ITSELF, AS 9MM IS AS LOW AS I LIKE TO GO, UNLESS ONE NEEDS THE ABSOLUTE SMALLEST PISTOL,  WITH ANY STOPPING POWER AT ALL, FOR HIDEOUT PURPOSES.

IF I WENT WITH THE .380, I'D STUFF IT WITH SOME OF BUFFALO BORE'S HOT STUFF.

THE OTHER PROBLEM, IS HER HAND BIG ENOUGH TO GET A FULL FIRING GRIP, AND STILL REACH THE TRIGGER, AND IF SHE CAN REACH IT, DOES SHE THEN HAVE THE HAND STRENGTH TO PULL IT.

ANOTHER OPTION, AGAIN, AS I RECALL, IS THAT YOU CAN CARRY THIS IN CONDITION 1, IE, ROUND-IN-CHAMBER, HAMMER COCKED, SAFETY ON.

THIS WOULD MOVE THE TRIGGER MUCH FURTHER TO THE REAR, BUT I DON'T KNOW AS THAT'S A GOOD CHOICE FOR A NEWBIE.

AND ALL THAT STILL LEAVES US WITHOUT A .22CAL TRAINING PISTOL, WHICH THE GLOCK ENABLES, WITH THE CONVERSION KIT.

JESS1344

The .25 is small and light enough for anyone to carry anywhere. It is also the only gun that I ever had to use, and it saved me on several occasions (I used to run night service calls to DC public housing). Never had to pull the trigger on any one - just let them see what I had in my hand always worked!

The advantage of tip-up is that she could insert a mag and put a round into the chamber without having to rack the slide. Lot's of people have bought these for just that reason due to arthritis. I didn't know they made a .380 version, and it is big for a .380. On the other hand, .380 out performs makarovs, and that is about the same size. I bet there are a lot of people here who think makarovs are the best thing ever.

Unless she wants something really small to carry why not start with a S&W 63 kit gun in .22 LR with the 4" barrel, it's fairly light, pretty small but easy to put in a purse and made of stainless so it can take abuse. They shoot nice and are not scary so they make good guns to learn with plus they hold value well so you can get all your money out if she wants to trade up to a heavier caliber. Inside a house it will make plenty of noise if she needs to use it and although stopping power is not the best, I'd rather be missed with a .44 mag than hit with a .22!

Doug

Why not get a 38 or 357? It has real power, and you can make or buy loads as soft as you could possibly want. No need to trade up when it's time to remove the training wheels...

• Like 1

Ok, here's my two cents on the whole women/guns thing.

I can't speak for all women, but it personally irritates me when I hear guys suggesting stuff like revolvers because they are 'simple' or guns that are offered with pink plastic grips. 

Sure, some women like this stuff.  But the difference in strength thing?  Most likely if they complain about this with firearms, they are just making excuses for not wanting to learn operation of the tool or put effort into it.  To be fair, there are some humans (maybe more proportionitely female) who have trouble with the resistance.  But most women?  Not a chance. 

*edit* Additionally, in a self-defense scenario, what if you need more rounds than you've got in your revolver-a very likely instance?  With a semi-auto it's a mag change.  Revolver?  'Holdon, sir, let me reload real quick.' *edit*

What gets me is the assumption that somehow guns are weird and intimidating and awkward and complicated for us.  They're tools.  You learn the use, you practice, and stay aware of your environment.  Maybe it's just my personality, but I don't want someone to dress it up or dumb it down for me.  Those things just get in the way of technique and logic. 

The best thing for me when I was choosing a pistol was to go to a local range and try everything in the case.  Every woman (just like every man) will have something they're drawn to/comfortable with and I can guarantee it won't always be pink. 

That said, I'm not a 60 year old woman with (potential) arthritis who has never owned a gun.  All I'm sayin is, the more you respect someone and be straightforward (not assuming they are scared or mentally incapable of performing a simple task like clearing a jam), the more apt they will probably end up being. 

C'mon, a 60 year old woman has raised kids and managed an entire family!  She can most likely choose a good firearm for herself with some education and learn its operation. 

No offense meant at all to previous posters; everyone has their opinions and differing perspectives.  Those are just mine! 

Edited by Padrooga
  • Like 1

HEY now, I carry a revolver and a 380.

Do you know how sad it is to try to explain to some "old guy" that I cant despring his 45 so he can cock it and a revolver is the way to go?

plus, them guys up in alaska with bear protection cant be wrong, either....

you get attacked by someone/something, chances are that you can only use one friggin arm? .....    what do you do if it doesnt go bang at that moment? "yeh excuse me bear or attacker, let my other arm loose so i can cycle my pistol, thanks, much obliged" 

come on/....

DA/SA 38 snubnose. I am not changing my opinion here on this.

we arent talking about group gun fest or tomb raider, or even someone there that shoots thier guns once a week

a DA SA with an exposed hammer in 38. ESPECIALLY for a newb