Custom Gun Furniture by BattleRifle - The Next Generation

Good news per previous requests - I have just come upon another wood source that offers Teak and many other special woods including cocobolo, almost all in any size I need, at their respective prices. With deposits as standard policy, I can take the plunge into new and exotic woods upon request.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright folks, I'm back from a brief hiatus and am once again able to do custom gun furniture work. My past work has involved a saga of innovations and frustrations, and the whole scope of dealings f

I'm still at it, but time available is less since I have a full time day job.   I'm not on any forums as much these days for the same reason. E-mail is the best way to reach me, though it sometimes

Posted Images

As an update for all, including those with orders in progress, here's a pic of several pieces in progress.

Several S-12 handguards, all of them from lyptus wood and more or less loosely based on the Galil style.

post-6-1141748508_thumb.jpg

Oak buttstock, not sure exactly what the style is from, but resembling that of the Galil.

post-6-1141748530_thumb.jpg

And a variety of furniture for the S-12 and S-20. Walnut buttstocks and handguard are part of orders in progress. The two beech handguards have actually been underway for a while but I'm now finishing them up to offer in sets with the remaining beech stock that I have. The one handguard on the far right is white oak and made from wider stock than the others. The right three of these handguards are my version of the classic Saiga rifle handguard style.

post-6-1141748571_thumb.jpg

And now for some good/bad news. I've been very pleased with a good number of recent orders with very faithful buyers. I also have a bit of stock underway to offer at an upcoming gun show. And finally, there are personal developments that are very good but that affect my schedule.

SO in order to be most faithful to everyone, I'm going to have to do another order freeze. That means I'm going to finish a few things before I start more projects. This is really GOOD NEWS to everyone. To those who've paid for orders it means I'm putting you first, and to those who will order in the future it means that when I take your order I take it seriously.

If you've already started discussing a project with me, we're still on track. It's those who haven't yet approached me that I'm asking to wait a little bit.

I'll update this thread when I'm ready to take more work again, which shouldn't be too long.

More progress pics:

Walnut handguard part of an order for a board member. Made in the rifle/S-12k style.

post-6-1141971024_thumb.jpg

I took a handguard that I had up for months without selling, and made a few mods based on recent improvements in my methods. The results were quite impressive. Seriously, I'm impressed.

post-6-1141971051_thumb.jpgpost-6-1141971469_thumb.jpg

And two buttstocks in progress, one in lyptus designed to look like a Galil with a thick buttplate, and the other from hickory, not sure what to call the style.

post-6-1141971131_thumb.jpg

Here are more pics of items in progress, some farther than others.

DaGroaner's set, modeled on my S-410. His handguard os for the S-20 so my 410 gas system stretches farther forward.

post-6-1142401632_thumb.jpg

The first coat of finish is drying as we speak.

H4Saiga's stock set, modeled separately.

post-6-1142401725_thumb.jpg

post-6-1142401800_thumb.jpg

A three piece stock set in lyptus.

post-6-1142402088_thumb.jpg

And another.

post-6-1142402146_thumb.jpg

A three piece set in beech.

post-6-1142402199_thumb.jpg

And a taylored dragunov style stock in beech.

post-6-1142402266_thumb.jpg

All but the first two and last stock are up for dibs, and there are other options available, I just put them together for a group photo.

Here are more pics of items in progress, some farther than others.

DaGroaner's set, modeled on my S-410. His handguard os for the S-20 so my 410 gas system stretches farther forward.

post-6-1142401632_thumb.jpg

The first coat of finish is drying as we speak.

Holy shit! My S-20 is going to look like something from Weatherby! Well the wood will anyway.

That S-20 set you made for DaGroaner's S-20 is absolutely beautiful! :wub:

If I had a stock Saiga I would snap one up in a heatbeat - good work!

Oh yeah, I love the latest grips too! The one on my red 410 is a modded AMD.

Might not be your cup o' tea dude, but thanks for offering 'em! :up:

:super: Hey BR I know I emailed you on my order and asked about the teak grips,but I was wondering-DO you have anymore of that teak in the 'tiger stripe 'grain-like the grip on the left of the grip pic set? if so I would like to know if it is enough for a complete set and if the set could be made with the grain verticle an on the pistol grip. BTW the teak is very nice looking wood! Is Teak harder than Walnut? Damn I need another rifle for another set of wood---hey that sounds like a way to buy another rifle to me- :rolleyes:

Some more progress photos, hopefully a little better than before. These are what complete stock sets will look like, and with the exception of the lyptus grip and butt, they are all unspoken for, if you want to grab one before they're gone in ceratin varieties (ie beech.)

post-6-1143001690_thumb.jpg

post-6-1143001738_thumb.jpg

post-6-1143001782_thumb.jpg

post-6-1143001931_thumb.jpg

post-6-1143002113_thumb.jpg

post-6-1143002153_thumb.jpg

Another view of a Dragunov stock for a converted S-308.

post-6-1143002192_thumb.jpg

Several grips still needing a home (except the Galil is tentatively SPF).

post-6-1143002261_thumb.jpg

And some progress on some more standard AK grips. The first is beech, the second is a bit of a comprise to my tastes, and the lower pic is a modified Galil style and a smooth version of my ergo pattern (which is basically the old fat grip pattern but thinner and at the standard AK grip angle.)

post-6-1143002341.jpg

post-6-1143002363_thumb.jpg

If your interested I would like to get a pistol grip for a Saiga 12. Would like it out of Black Walnut root burl ill do the finish acrylic/poly. I think I know a mill that can get the material. Be glad to pay well for all your troubles!!! If you are interested I will PM you with the details. Pay by Paypal.

Sincerely

Equinox

Edited by Equinox

Great work BRG3! That is really pretty stuff!

I was wondering if the stock you made for DaGroaner was comfortable in hand(unlike the original stock). I don't imagine you shot it but if you did, how did it handle? I'm looking to get a stock like that (or possibly the Dragunov if I DO convert) since I'm not sure if I want to convert yet. I have a 7.62 and love it except for the way the original stock feels(sounds like I'm not the only one!)

Please let us know as soon as you are taking orders. I'm very interested!

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a few more pics. Some are the same as already posted, some are new. Some are for sale and will show up in the Available Furniture thread, others are custom orders for folks and are examples of what I can offer. Some pics are good, some don't do justice.

Various Lyptus grips now ready for sale:

post-6-1150679406_thumb.jpg

Handguards for the Saiga-12, Galil style in lyptus and a straight edged classicSaiga style in oak.

post-6-1150679453_thumb.jpg

A walnut set for the 308 made for a forum member. Pic stinks, but I couldn't get any other spot for the moment.

post-6-1150679485_thumb.jpg

Another view of the hickort set for the Saiga-12, still for sale.

post-6-1150679510_thumb.jpg

And one of my prouder accomplishments, a complete AK style stock set for the Saiga-308. The upper handguard was fitted to a buyer supplied AK-74 gas tube, the lower handguard includes an updated version of my no-gunsmithing integrated retainer complete with a slot for a sling.

post-6-1150679774_thumb.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3

That classic Saiga Rifle is what I want for my S-12!

post-6-1142401725_thumb.jpg

I like this. But I think I'd like mine to go further forward. Like the rifle picture.

post-6-1142401800_thumb.jpg

See how this rifle plastic one goes forward more? Like that.

And the narrow part of the wood one should go further back all the way until it widens out right up at the receiver. And the front of the handguard on the S-12K doesn't angle down in the front. If you look at the S-12K picture you will see it covers the gast system, and ends straight vertically. Not angled.

Can I get a wood version just like this front handguard on this S-12K?

Saiga.gif

Oh well. Let me know. If not. I may butcher some trees until I figure it out.

Wonder what I can coat it with on the outside to match the plastic parts?? :unsure:

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor

Note that the S-12 handguard shown is modeled on my Saiga-410, which has a longer gas system. It would reach the full length on a S-12.

The reason the wood is thicker at the upper back is that while the plastic handguard flexes to fit over the barrel, this one has to be large enough to clear it without bending. If you butcher a few trees you'll learn what I did. ;)

I could do a handguard pretty close to the lower one, it would have the straight front edge no problem, just that the thinner section reaching the whole way back wouldn't be AS thin as the plastic would be and the wood would be SLIGHTLY wider than what I normally use (2" instead of 1.75").

Edited by BattleRifleG3
Note that the S-12 handguard shown is modeled on my Saiga-410, which has a longer gas system. It would reach the full length on a S-12.

The reason the wood is thicker at the upper back is that while the plastic handguard flexes to fit over the barrel, this one has to be large enough to clear it without bending. If you butcher a few trees you'll learn what I did. ;)

I could do a handguard pretty close to the lower one, it would have the straight front edge no problem, just that the thinner section reaching the whole way back wouldn't be AS thin as the plastic would be and the wood would be SLIGHTLY wider than what I normally use (2" instead of 1.75").

OH!?

hmm...

Well. Whatever you think is best then. You did R&D. If you can straighten the front a bit vertically. I will send money when you are ready to receive. Thanks.

And one of my prouder accomplishments, a complete AK style stock set for the Saiga-308. The upper handguard was fitted to a buyer supplied AK-74 gas tube, the lower handguard includes an updated version of my no-gunsmithing integrated retainer complete with a slot for a sling.

Dude now that's what I'm talkin about! :smoke:

NICE!

Can ya do that for the S-12?

+1 on that! Nice work my man.

Dude now that's what I'm talkin about! :smoke:

NICE!

Can ya do that for the S-12?

Unfortunately no, not exactly. The upper handguard is made to fit a '74 gas tube, which will drop into the rifles with minor fitting. You and your S-12 front end conversion kin would be the ones to know how to put a standard gas tube on an S-12, if that is what you've done.

I can do a lower handguard like shown but with a retainer plate style derived from one I've seen here, or the front of the handguard angled down to attach with the regular screw.

I'm working on a design to approximate the AK style (I've done something before with that design criteria in mind with interesting results.) But that's second to following through on paid orders.

For those wanting a military styled front end for their Saiga-12, I would recommend my Galil style. I think it covers the best of all worlds.

• 4 weeks later...

An update on the most recent request, I now have a design for a two-piece S-12/S-20 no-gunsmithing handguard. It would likely block the standard sites, and it would not work on models with the adjustable vent rib, but that's the same case as Cobra's, Dinzag's, and all the front end shotgun conversions that I'm aware of. The buyer could, at his discretion, carve a notch with a dremel sander, but I'm not keen on doing it myself and then shipping at the mercy of the USPS.

That's cool man, most people who want to convert their gun to look like an AK prolly prefer AK style sights anyway. That was my plan from the beginning. Besides the Saiga sights suck and need improved IMO.

BattleRifleG3.

I embarked on pre-deployment leave fron TX, back to MN without having sent my MO for the handguard. It is residing in my car back home in TX, in my driveway. I have no problem sending you another MO as I didn't write on the other.

I will send it immed if you are still wanting.

(This is why I usually only do Paypal......ugh...sigh...no hassle. Too bad those fucks are anti-gun)

Sorry about my empty-headedness. In my rush to get the hell-outta-dodge! I boned you over when I forgot. I'll add a few bucks, and hope to still call you friend. Ask most that I've dealt with here. I'm flaky, but fair. To the point of overpaying sometimes.

Did you EMAIL your shipping address to me??????

Let me know. Tim~DTI