Custom Gun Furniture by BattleRifle - The Next Generation

An update on the most recent request, I now have a design for a two-piece S-12/S-20 no-gunsmithing handguard. It would likely block the standard sites, and it would not work on models with the adjustable vent rib, but that's the same case as Cobra's, Dinzag's, and all the front end shotgun conversions that I'm aware of. The buyer could, at his discretion, carve a notch with a dremel sander, but I'm not keen on doing it myself and then shipping at the mercy of the USPS.

Have you ever considered doing anything with Micarta or Diamondwood?

I would sorely like a set of charcoal or olive Micarta forend and grip for my M92 Yugo Krinkov;)

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright folks, I'm back from a brief hiatus and am once again able to do custom gun furniture work. My past work has involved a saga of innovations and frustrations, and the whole scope of dealings f

I'm still at it, but time available is less since I have a full time day job.   I'm not on any forums as much these days for the same reason. E-mail is the best way to reach me, though it sometimes

Posted Images

DodgeTI,

I gave you my address for payment via PM. I didn't get your E-mail and the forum mailer isn't enabled.

If you feel like overpaying, vents are a $10 option. It's only this cheap because it's easier to put the vents in a block of wood than a fully formed synthetic handguard with a finish to be careful of.

With the abovementioned frustration understood with no need for explanation, I want to thank you for serving. Certainly not in the same league of some of the careless folk.

SOPMOD,

The issue with exotic wood is that everyone wants something different and I can't plunk down for expensive wood and expect people to pay accordingly without a specific order. If you want to get a hold of this type of wood I would be more than happy to work with you on it.

Heck yeah! (long as you can be patient)

No Problem! I've had to learn a bit since being into Saigas.

I.e.

Saiga-12 8 round mags from overseas, not to mention buying an AK-100 stock from Andrei/Ruseller.....half arrived in 4 months, the hardware never arrived. LOL

I will pay up-front. Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I was sorely tempted to pick up some blackwood and/or cocobolo today, but as extremely expensive as it is I can't do that without an explicit order.

For now I'm going to tentatively quote for grips:

$40 in teak (add $5 for finger grooves)

$50 in cocobolo (add $10 for finger grooves)

$60 in blackwood (add $15 for finger grooves)

Plus shipping (thankfully based on size and weight, not price.)

Handguards and buttstock are doable in the first two woods, not sure about the third. And here's the kicker - I will have to, in order to be on the safe side, quote a four month lead time.

Now if YOU want to get your hands on some exotic wood and send it to me then everything's different. More normal lead time and I'll count the wood towards price.

This grip was made from the knot of a piece of hickory. Extremely hard, wavy grain structure. The colors were really wierd so I stained it heavily and this is the result. I think it turned out ok.

post-6-1154189041.jpg

It's available, but listed on a forum that doesn't allow multilisting. (If you know which one I'm talking about you can check it out there, otherwise PM me if sincerely interested.)

This is the second stock set for a Romak III lover.

post-6-1154190487_thumb.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3

A few more items done.

This one is for a Saiga-410, made from white oak. The stock isn't mounted in the receiver the whole way. This one is intended to be a more classic Saiga style all around.

post-6-1154789381_thumb.jpg

Here's the same stock next to a rifle handguard.

post-6-1154788950_thumb.jpg

Here are grips for two different orders with a change of scenery. The one on the far left is a Zastava style from white oak. I don't normally include ferrules but the buyer sent me his and I made the grip to fit. Turned out pretty nice if you ask me. The two on the right are made from lyptus and are part of another order. You might be able to guess that one is a replication of the synthetic S-12 style we've been seeing a bit on the boards lately, and one is styled like the Yugo "thin grip." If I had to do them over again I'd not try so hard to stick to the original patterns, but start from one of my patterns and modify a few details.

post-6-1154789241_thumb.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3

BRG3,

Actually, I was also interested to know if you also do furniture for other rifles, such as L1A1 furniture in Israeli FN-FAL Heavy barrel style or FNC style. Also if you would endeavor to do other projects on other rifles. Just a thought for the future. Let me recuperate from the S-12 and all its :dollar::dollar::dollar: in parts. My L1A1 is a good shooter but the furniture it came with is ugly. Here area few examples:

nyclu3

It's in progress, but completing orders in the order received, it's waiting for the most aggressive machining. At the moment it looks rather... plain. Very rectangular if I do say so myself.

What this means is that when you're at the head of the line things will move much faster for you, and those behind you will be waiting as patiently.

Here are a few recent developments:

This is quite possibly the nicest specimen of my Dragunov style stock, started around the time my beech supply was cut off. The buyer subsequently wanted a matching handguard, and sent the stock back to me for some upgrades. He asked for an AKM style front handguard for ergonomic reasons, but said he wasn't planning on having an upper handguard. Thinking that might be a little awkward, I came up with this expanded design. Integrally retained, complete with AK style sling loop.

post-6-1155344947_thumb.jpg

Next is an odd one, a fellow wanted a QPG buttstock from me but wanted to see about making the handguard as a project. Since inletting requires machine tools more on my scale than the average home shop, I proposed a "blank" handguard, where I just did the inletting so it could mount, but left all the shaping for the buyer to do to his preferences.

post-6-1155345571_thumb.jpg

And last for today, a Galil/Valmet/Zastava style stock set for the Saiga-12. Wow, come to think about it that's every exotic AK in one. Galil style handguard, Valmet style buttstock, Zastava style grip.

post-6-1155345734_thumb.jpg

Additionally, against my better judgement, I picked up some Cocobolo today. Thankfully it was on sale, and I'll be able to offer grips at the same price as Teak ones, $40 each for ungrooved, $50 for grooved. Can also do handguards, but would prefer to stick to the shorter styles such as the Galil style. The piece I have is not large enough for buttstocks, however, so a matching Cocobolo grip and handguard would be best suited if you're using a folding stock. This could be an excellent fit for a Tromix conversion.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Finally a look at how I'm going to spend next weekend! Thanks for the pic BR! I'll try to get some pics of my friend and I with the work in progress and of course the finished product. He is talking about some proprietary inlay/lamination process that he has had great success with recently. I've seen it in some of his other work and I think that it will be gorgeous. Please mail me with shipping details when you know whats what. Once again, i'm really excited about this great addition to muy beloved S-20!

Here are a few recent developments:

This is quite possibly the nicest specimen of my Dragunov style stock, started around the time my beech supply was cut off. The buyer subsequently wanted a matching handguard, and sent the stock back to me for some upgrades. He asked for an AKM style front handguard for ergonomic reasons, but said he wasn't planning on having an upper handguard. Thinking that might be a little awkward, I came up with this expanded design. Integrally retained, complete with AK style sling loop.

post-6-1155344947_thumb.jpg

Next is an odd one, a fellow wanted a QPG buttstock from me but wanted to see about making the handguard as a project. Since inletting requires machine tools more on my scale than the average home shop, I proposed a "blank" handguard, where I just did the inletting so it could mount, but left all the shaping for the buyer to do to his preferences.

post-6-1155345571_thumb.jpg

And last for today, a Galil/Valmet/Zastava style stock set for the Saiga-12. Wow, come to think about it that's every exotic AK in one. Galil style handguard, Valmet style buttstock, Zastava style grip.

post-6-1155345734_thumb.jpg

Additionally, against my better judgement, I picked up some Cocobolo today. Thankfully it was on sale, and I'll be able to offer grips at the same price as Teak ones, $40 each for ungrooved, $50 for grooved. Can also do handguards, but would prefer to stick to the shorter styles such as the Galil style. The piece I have is not large enough for buttstocks, however, so a matching Cocobolo grip and handguard would be best suited if you're using a folding stock. This could be an excellent fit for a Tromix conversion.

DOH!....thought that middle one was mine for a second there!....was getting all excited!

patience is a virture...

• 3 weeks later...

You do some cool work - I saw you had done PSL/RomakIII stocks - SWING - that caught my attention. I Would like to have a Dragunov style stock like the one you made for the Saiga. I pickup and shoot lefthanded so the factory stock really sucks bad being the that it has the cheek rest only for right handed shooters. I like the heavy look of your design - a stock set in teak would be real cool. Trying to keep a miltary look about the rifle.

• 2 weeks later...