So my Mcculoch PM610 has a little issue. Need to replace the sprocket, guide plate, chain adjuster, and maybe the inner plate as well... Looking at about 70 - 80 bucks in parts.  The saw runs like a raped ape, and cuts hardwood like butter.

SHOULD I invest in another saw?  or just get the parts, and fix this one?? 

I really like this saw, and dont have any issues with it...  Its got a near 60CC motor, so its got power and torque...

I tried using my buddies saw after this one went down, and it was just a joke... logs HALF the size the 610 can rip thru, his would suffer... 

Just looking for opinions and DATA... 

I DONT need the ford/chevy/dodge arguments...  husky/stihl/whoever.... 

What have your experiences been with what ya got, would you recommend, do it again? do it differently? With what, and why??

that sort of thing... THANKS!!!!

Yep, fix the one you are happy with.

Was just fighting with my second cheapo Poulan yesterday.

Air filter is still pure white, very little run time.

Pisses me off I have to adjust the carb just to get it to idle on a brand new saw.

Fix it Indy.  How can you go wrong.  All saws are not created =.  I have seen new Stihl,  etc. not worth a shit.  Just depends on the saw and who put it together.

Got a good one fix it and keep it. 

I'm in the fix it crowd too if you like your current saw.

If that's out I'm firmly in the Stihl camp too but a good Stihl is going to be at least double the cost of something like what you have now. As far as supporting data for going with Stihl, other than their rock solid reputation, their equipment tends to make more bhp with smaller engines than their competitors. That means their stuff is usually a fair bit lighter, more fuel efficient, and more powerful.

I've used some higher end Husqvarna stuff too that was pretty nice, but its nearly the price of Stihl so...?

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 2

Fix it.

If you can still find parts, get them while you can as well.

The new stuff just isn't as well built.

Every professional tree cutter I know In western Oregon uses huskies. Nothing wrong with Stihl, my experience is you just get a bit more saw for about the same money with huskie

I run huskies now and will continue with them. I have had very good luck with the saws. Not so good with keeping one from being stolen a couple years ago.

Nothing new seems to hold a candle to the old Sachs dolmar I had ripped off out of my truck along with a new Husqvarna at the same time. I would fix the ol Mac. If it were me.

Either way, if you get a new one ( Stihl or Husqvarna ) stick to the professional line. Stay away from the big box store stuff.

Fixing the probs it has now (that you know of so far),  will probably get it going again for awhile... unless it has other worn parts that are going to go next (bearings, rings, etc). I can say from experience that you can't go wrong if buying a good Stihl if getting a new one. I have had my 044 since having to buy it new /rebuilt in 1996 to clear a shitload of huge oaks we lost in Hurricane Fran. That saw has cranked right up and run great for me ever since then. Wasn't until last season I finally had a small issue with it not starting. That was my fault for accidentally filling and trying to run it on bad gas. That was also an easy fix. My uncle still has the one he's owned since the '70s and it still works great. That saw was under water once even in a basement flood. They don't call em the #1 selling chainsaw for nothing.

I was a husq man up until about 3 weeks ago. I had a tree fall that was bigger than my saw will handle....got the chance to use a echo timber wolf....I was very impressed....so much so that it will probably be my next saw. Don't know about longevity they are new to the market but it was one of the easiest starting saws I have ever used..

I would probably fix the old one and buy a new one....Everyman needs 2 saws...sooner or later if you use a saw long enough you will need the second one to cut the 1st one free...LOL

• Like 3

This is starting to get a little Ford/Chevy, but I detest my Dad's Echo. It's a consumer grade saw (which may be the problem) and is about 3 years old... Starts alright, but no power and is heavy for a saw of its size.

If I *DO* end up purchasing a NEW saw... It certainly will be something 60CC or larger. I just cant see the point of something half sized, when you need full size muscle and cutting power. 

Sounds like I will fix this old bear and then save the pennies for a NEW one and do the research on WHICH one to get...  or maybe find a nice used one someplace... if I can find the right one...  friend of a friend, type of thing... :up: 

thanks, gents...

:smoke:

INDY...I climb and cut down trees for a living. STIHL is the onyl way to go just stick to the even number saws...they are pro grade. get a STIHL 440 and you wont regret it. if thats to much bump down to a stihl 361...great saws

I've got a Stihl and am very happy with it. That said, 70 - 80 bucks to fix a saw you are happy with seems like a logical choice.

Stihl  no other

My  saw has run for years and years

My weed eater has as well

I see tons of cheap saws at the hardware store getting fixed

I'm in the fix it crowd too if you like your current saw.

If that's out I'm firmly in the Stihl camp too but a good Stihl is going to be at least double the cost of something like what you have now. As far as supporting data for going with Stihl, other than their rock solid reputation, their equipment tends to make more bhp with smaller engines than their competitors. That means their stuff is usually a fair bit lighter, more fuel efficient, and more powerful.

I've used some higher end Husqvarna stuff too that was pretty nice, but its nearly the price of Stihl so...?

+1

Fix what you have.

If replacement becomes necessary and you do a lot of CS work, invest in a Sthil.

You won't regret it.  Stihl is the AK of chainsaws.

• Like 1

This is starting to get a little Ford/Chevy, but I detest my Dad's Echo. It's a consumer grade saw (which may be the problem) and is about 3 years old... Starts alright, but no power and is heavy for a saw of its size.

This was 20" saw and it was not consumer grade. It was about a year old or so and serviced to factory specs..I no prior experience with echo saws..do like their string trimmers..it was a little heavier than I expected but I was cutting a 24"+ dia tree so I used the weight to my advantage........reason #2 a man must have two saws....one for brush and one for trunk...I like a 14" and a 20"....reason #3 a man must have two saws....when you need a chainsaw it is likely no wear near wear its needed....tree falls at the house saw is on the farm....tree falls on the farm saw is at the hunt club...you get the point.

I have no experience with the pro-grade Echo stuff, but the authorized dealer that sold both, and had them both in stock, firmly talked me out of the Echo Pro trimmer I was looking at into a Stihl brush cutter (FS 55) that was less expensive. I can't say enough good about it. As long as I can afford it and the equipment doesn't change, I'll buy Stihl everything. :)

No matter the conversation, a man can never have too many tools! :) You left pole saws out of your list so you're STILL not well enough outfitted... You'll need at least a couple of those!

Buying a CHAINSAW... Recomendations?

yes, go to garage sales and look for a chainsaw that was here in AMERICA, like CRAFTSMAN.  yeah, it will be old, but it will be 1,000 percent better made with quality parts then any of the new  made in china  junk out there now. and it doesn't matter which brand of chain saw you buy, even if it say Sweden,   inside it will be junk Chinese parts.

my father bought a CRAFTSMAN back in the 80s, and he used it constantly during the summer cutting wood for his stove in the winter, and the only part he replaced was the chain. I have that chainsaw, and it still works like when he bought it brand new back in the day

FWIW, Stihl didn't even have a factory in China until 2006 so the older saws probably have very few, if any, China parts. Older model Stihl's are a great option too if you're looking for used. Indy did ask about NEW though. I guess he didn't! He said "another"...

Edited by Maxwelhse

Fix the old saw. The differences in the past 10 years have really cheapened up saws. I started cutting with an old homelite ( ya..ya rub it in). That saw would chew through anything. Seen some abused mccoulaghs chug along pretty good too.

This coming from a Stihl guy. I second the idea that if/when you buy new, go pro. My MS 310 has been in the shop more than I thought it would be. My 440 runs great though.

I bought the new sprocket for the McCulloch this morning. should be here in the post box tomorrow, as its only coming from about 30 miles away.

That part should have me back up and running. Just wish I had it running TODAY... as its 68 and zero humidity  compared to YESTERDAY when I was running it, in 90 degree heat and high humidity! :(  LOL

Thanks for the input Gents... IF/WHEN the time comes for another... I will certainly check out the Stihl line.  As I said... I dont want a HOMEOWNER chainsaw. I need a beefy professional grade saw.  Sure I need to cut little things... but I have 20+" maples down that need to be chunked up, and a little pissant saw just wont do the job... :up:

Got the sprocket in the mail today. 5 minutes to install, and put the saw back together. Fired right up, and cuts like a motherfucker! YAY!!!!!

All set for less than 30 bucks!!!!  I am a happy camper again!