.308 trigger guard

So, I've got a RAM trigger guard I pulled off of my Saiga 12 that I planned to use on my .308, and planned to use the factory guard on the 12 again until I bought another RAM (I like them). I know on the .308 I've got to drill new holes, but when I lined everything up just to test fit, it seems the rivet hole closest to the magazine release will be right next to where I need to drill a new hole for the front of the guard. So close, in fact, that I wonder if the two wouldn't meet and form an "8" looking hole. As for the rear, I'm looking at Dinzag's receiver template online, measuring things with my digital calipers, and again, the holes on the template don't match what I'd need to install this guard. The rear trigger guard hole would be about .400" from the rear of the trigger hole, rather than .300" like on the template. I am so confused right now. On top of all that, online it says a new front hole needs to be drilled for the RAM guard. Says nothing about a rear hole. Help! bad_smile.gif

saiga_rec_template.jpg

Looks just like this.

stg_4.jpg

Edit: Re-checking the template to my receiver, everything measures differently. I think the template is specific to other Saiga's.

Edited by forsaken352

These are my measurements of the .308. The red is the fixed measurements. Any left alone were roughly the same within a few thousandths. measured from the rear of the receiver. Note, also, the rear trigger guard hole is not yet drilled as stated below.

template.png

Edited by forsaken352

By the looks of it, the AMD-65 trigger guard and mag release are a single unit. I don't have the means to be riveting things. I wish I did. Strictly bolt on for me, which is why I'm having such issues here. I don't mind using this trigger guard for the entire lifetime of the rifle, and as a result, I don't mind if the rear trigger guard hole is off where they typically are found, but the front hole is what bothers me. Drilling so close to the front rivet hole will almost guarantee them meeting each-other and creating one oblong "8" looking hole. This I do not want. I'm just trying to figure out how others get away with bolting on trigger guards on the .308, and hopefully not using the factory trigger guard and just resting the front inside the mag release. Fine for others, but to me, that just says half-ass. what.gif

I just bought a new one from Dinzag when I ordered the FCG, and called it great Johnboy.gif

I've basically got the same thing, only I assume your guard came with a built in PG nut (looking at Dinzag's listed items for the .308). Mine is the same without a PG nut. The thing I'm having trouble with is how to drill the front trigger guard hole without interfering with the front rivet hole leftover from the sporter plate and creating an oblong hole. Tomorrow I'm gonna get a better look at it and consider my options.

Edited by forsaken352

Appreciate all the help guys. In the end, that trigger guard MUST be 12 gauge specific or something. It just would not fit. Especially not with the Hogue grip. I'm either going to TIG the customized factory one I made or just buy a better looking one when I get the money. Probably option B so it's removable if I ever want to swap it out.

• Like 1

I asked myself if id ever need to remove it. I don't see any reason to ever remove it. I didn't weld to the mag release to make it easier to remove should that unlikely need come up.

But if I did bolt on id tack weld the nuts though. The best thing would be rivet in a real one. My advice pick the shape trigger guard you want and go with it. Make sure its very secure. Nuts and screws cant be as secure as rivets.

• Like 1

Very true, but I think I'll actually just go with nuts and screws and some blue loctite. It's worked well for the 12 thus far. Had to really persuade the screws to loosen, and they've been on there for months and hundreds of rounds. I like the ease of being able to completely strip a firearm bare minus permanent attachments (rivets and such).

No need to remove the pg mount, i was able to put a pg nut in the receiver and it perfectly matched the trigger guard mount.

Then I shall do that!  big_smile.gif

One more question, though. Did Dinzag update their trigger guard? Look at the front hole location on this one (won't let me copy picture. Here's link) compared to the hole on the picture below. Supposedly both Dinzag .308 trigger guards. Different hole locations by the looks of it.

Looks like this one lines up with the rivet hole.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/88557-pistol-grip-conversion-question/

ram-stg2-1__71153.1405341484.1280.1280.j

Edited by forsaken352

Thanks a ton! Last 2 (or so) questions. 1) Did you end up drilling a new front hole? Looks like it lines up with the rivet hole. (If you did drill another hole, did it contact the rivet hole?) 2) That is the Dinzag .308 guard, correct? These are the last questions I have before I know for certain what to do. Sorry to keep pestering you.

Thanks again! You've been very helpful.

Edit: Sweet rifle.

Edited by forsaken352