• 2 weeks later...

These are pretty standard mods for this gun as Ive seen a few others like it (online) but I really love the look and feel of it. So f'n fun to shoot!

Midwest Industries railed forearm setup

Tango Down rail cover (left side)

SB47 Brace

Magpul AFG1

post-49683-0-53885800-1407792988_thumb.jpg

Edited by ctpunk
  • 2 weeks later...

AZG, and everyone else. Be carefull with the stocks you put on these. According to ATF (as i have been told by a firearms instructer) anything but the helper grips will change the guns classification from pistol to rifle.

If im wrong please correct me, just putting it out there.

Edited by pomacanthus

If you are referring to a stock, then you are correct. It is illegal to add a stock without the proper nfa paperwork. It would then be classified as an SBR. If you are referring to the pistol arm brace, it is not a stock and not considered an SBR if attached to an ak pistol. Every sb47 brace comes with a copy of the ATF letter stating as such.

• Like 2

AZG, and everyone else. Be carefull with the stocks you put on these. According to ATF (as i have been told by a firearms instructer) anything but the helper grips will change the guns classification from pistol to rifle.

If im wrong please correct me, just putting it out there.

good looking out but I have a permanently attached fake suppressor on mine for a total barrel length of 16" making mine a perfectly legal NON-NFA rifle.

There is something you can teach your firearms instructor

Regards

Ok guys help me out here.  I am seeing two versions of this firearm in your pics.......one that has the AR Magwell (I believe it is the new NP Model) and one that accepts regular M85 Mags (I believe it is the original/older PV Model).  Other than the magazines wells and the NP model coming with a Krinkov style muzzle brake, are there any other differences between the two?

Thanks.

-bp

Ok guys help me out here. I am seeing two versions of this firearm in your pics.......one that has the AR Magwell (I believe it is the new NP Model) and one that accepts regular M85 Mags (I believe it is the original/older PV Model). Other than the magazines wells and the NP model coming with a Krinkov style muzzle brake, are there any other differences between the two?

Thanks.

-bp

You are correct.

Now that I think of it, older models might have serial number towards rear of receiver and no muzzle attachment where as the NP has s#towards front and comes with muzzle attachment.

Edited by AZG

Ok guys help me out here. I am seeing two versions of this firearm in your pics.......one that has the AR Magwell (I believe it is the new NP Model) and one that accepts regular M85 Mags (I believe it is the original/older PV Model). Other than the magazines wells and the NP model coming with a Krinkov style muzzle brake, are there any other differences between the two?

Thanks.

-bp

You are correct.

Now that I think of it, older models might have serial number towards rear of receiver and no muzzle attachment where as the NP has s#towards front and comes with muzzle attachment.

I think some of the earlier pistols also had the cap on the muzzle threads tack welded on. My "booster" muzzle device was not welded. I have a Manticore Arms night brake ordered. A rail for the top cover is next on the list. Then I'll try to decide on a red dot.

My Manticore Arms Night Brake came in this week so I took the M85 out today for the first time. We put just over 100 rounds through it. I had a cheap metal AR magazine that wouldn't work very good but the problem was the magazine and not the AK pistol. Once I got rid of that magazine the pistol ran great. The Manticore brake made a huge difference. I tried the pistol with the original booster muzzle attachment and then swapped it out for the night brake. The night brake made a big difference in felt recoil and muzzle rise. With it on there was no felt recoil and no muzzle rise. It was almost like shooting a .22. The pistol is loud and a fireball comes out the end of the barrel. With my eyes I have a hard time seeing the rear sight notch very well. I started out shooting low at 25 yards. Instead of adjusting the front sight to change the elevation I flipped the rear sight to the position with a 4 on it. That worked better. I intend on putting a red dot on this pistol so I did not waste any time trying to adjust the iron sights. Just to make things interesting we went back to 100 yards and I was consistently hitting a steel plate from that distance. Good enough for me. I am very satisfied with my purchase.

1996B256-E9A8-46C0-B8AA-7962FED7063E.jpg

E86D2EE0-7585-493A-A7F6-B61557A8A5CD.jpg

C80E814D-78A5-497D-AAB1-BE5DE8D52246_1.j

My Stormwerkz rail came in. I'm hoping to do the drilling this weekend to mount it.

C3D7BCF3-575A-455B-AA5F-5559A67CC6CE.jpg

small tip.. the Stormwerkz rail is solid enough that you can set it up for drilling by cranking it down hard with a set of zip ties through the rail slots. just make sure it's level on the dust cover before you start. a couple of my holes were off a tiny bit - fractions of a milimeter - and I had to work them a little bit with a round file. it doesn't take much.

Edited by mancat
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up trying a Primary Arms red dot reflex sight. I was looking for something small, compact and affordable. Now I just need to get to a range and sight it in so I can see how I like it. I'm a Lefty and my light mount worked great when using the iron sights. With both eyes open using the red dot the light is kind of in the view of my Right eye. So now I may try another mount or get a Magpul mount for the Left side and just move it to the other side.

5085D059-0097-48A3-8B0F-5F2A52776390.jpg

8E5C375A-F0B9-4915-A1BB-2E02098A94A8.jpg

968EE230-A4D9-4BF2-A663-9151347BDF38.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I went shooting and I took a variety of AR magazines with me to test to see if they would function OK in my M85. On my previous trip one of my metal magazines had a couple failure to feed malfunctions so I wanted to see if any of my other magazines would have any issues. I also took the same magazine that gave me the earlier malfunctions. The magazines I tested were:

Tapco 30 round polymer

CAA 30 round polymer

BCM 30 round metal

Surplus USGI 30 round metal (modified for use in an AR180)

C Products Defense 30 round metal

D&H Industries 30 round metal (the one that previously gave me problems)

Sterling 40 round metal

Magpul 20 round polymer

We put a little over 200 rounds through the gun and tested all the magazines and they all ran fine, including the one I previously had problems with. The magazine was brand new, never used so I'm not sure if it was the gun that needed some break-in or if the magazine needed to be broken in. Either way, it doesn't seem to be an issue now.

I don't own an AR15 so I don't have a huge stockpile of AR magazines. I purchased a Definitive Arms .223 AK when AR magazines were hard to get a couple years ago so I ended up with several different brands, getting some here and there as I could find them. I'm pleased they all work in the M85. After my first outing I thought it was going to be finicky with certain mags.

9876CF6E-32DF-492C-B7C7-0E87EEC3A816.jpg

Edited by tchick

I'm not a fan of black since it glows under NV. I normally refinish my firearms with a thermal cured finish, but I was unable to remove the polymer AR15 mag adapter. I didn't want to risk melting the mag adapter, so I bought some Aervoe paint. It's much better than Krylon by a mile.

I'm still debating if I'm going to paint my T1 or just got a TD cover for the T1.

I liked the two colored camo, but added the green element since I live in PA.  I felt I needed the green for my AO.
Before
camping008_zps6892d515.jpg

During
camping012_zps568a6be4.jpg

Finished
camping013_zps6e5cdeaa.jpg

It's going to take some time to air cure since the brace is rubber and that makes the paint tacky.

My PAP M85NP has been my go to pistol since I am able to shoot it with stock folded or unfolded. I like the size and the fact that the pistol uses AR15 mags.

I've only shot the M85NP to 100 yards and I plan on taking it past 200 yards once the paint dries.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I changed the red dot and flash light mount since I last posted. I put the reflex red dot on a shotgun and put a PA advanced red dot on the M85. I also switched out the light mount to one that I can remove quickly. I moved the Magpul light mount over to a rifle.

post-39271-0-18564800-1432356845_thumb.jpg

Edited by tchick
  • 4 months later...