Replacement barrel for Saiga 7.62x39

What exactly is wrong with the barrel?

If it's salvageable as a pistol/SBR barrel, you may be able to sell it to mitigate the cost of replacement - or even sell the rifle as a parts kit and buy another one for less than the cost of obtaining and installing a new barrel.

Fred....

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.  Some have been around Saigas for many years. (I only go back to 2008 with them)    Just asking if replacements are available and a few kurt statements does not exactly elicit the best answers. If you shared more information, like what the specific problem was, the members could probably help you out a lot more, or suggest alternatives.  I'm just thinking aloud here....

We messed up with the lower handguard retainer notch. We welded, re did the notch and it is still loose. We effed up x2.

After all the reading I have been doing around forums, putting heat on the barrel was not a good idea. Now I'm affraid of shooting the thing one day and the barrel breaking around the lower handguard retainer area.

Brand new, never shot saiga, so this hurts a little bit.sad.png

I never thought finding a replacement barrel would be so difficult.

Edited by FredRepr650

If you used any kind of arc welder, I wouldn't worry about it.

I doubt you were dumb enough to use an OA rig. I wouldn't worry much about it - the barrel is fairly thick in that area - thick enough that cutting a big notch into it isn't even remotely problematic. Absorbing a little bit of extra heat while you ran a bead should not impact it. If you heated it up with a 5700-6300 degree OA torch - yeah it's probably fucked.

I would contact Green Mountain and tell them exactly what you need. Yes, a 23mm barrel can be made to work in a 22m barrel - it just needs to be turned down. If the barrel is profiled correctly, the gas block and front sight block will press right on.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an unfired saiga 7.62 barrel with the rear sight block that was given to me by a friend which i can part with if you are interested. It had a knicked crown so he got it recrowned but found it had a stepped chamber so it never went back on the gun.