No secret here I am leaving MD. Just a heads up for anyone still stuck there, I am giving away almost everything I can't sell, selling some shit and getting the hell out of here. Go to the Maryland shooter's forum for what I have listed there or shoot me a PM here! 

I will be leaving here in a 16' Pods, and towing the Comanche with the Suburban, Everything that does not fit in the 2 HAS TO GO!

• Like 2

Good luck to you sir. It is a courageous and difficult thing to do. I did something very much like it back in 1986. I was between RN jobs, had just broken an engagement with a beautiful smart young lady, (long story) and was severely pissed off at the Powers That Be for not wanting me to build AR15 rifles in my own Condo. I mean I owned the dump.

Sossss....I sold the condo, (actually made some $$) packed up everything I had that would fit into a 24 foot Penske rental truck, hooked up my pickup to the rear and sold off most of what I had left that would not fit. Downsized about 80% including about 50 nice house plants who were cool since I talked to them and they did not talk back.

Moved from central Kommiefornika in the San Joaquin Vally to SW Oregon. Never have looked back, but still have family in that Pretty Shitty City I came from. It was difficult at first. Lived in a rural rental cabin. Had to adjust from the big city to rural,remote, Libertarian Oregon. A long time ago. Sir..you will get through this. Good luck.

HB of CJ (old coot) Now been 28 years. Who would have thunked it? All good. smile.png

• Like 1

Easy choice , of my 5 adult Kids, 2 live in Austin and a third is planning on moving there. The oldest is in Los Cruces, and that leaves the one in the middle in Baltimore. That and the fact that the Texas Hill Country is not only gorgeous,but is known for it's restaurants,road houses, brew pubs, barbeque and hunting!

I have been planning for years on how to retire gracefully, with enough to take care of myself and the wife for the rest of our time.

Staying in Maryland is not a viable alternative, due to the hyper inflation of the cost of living and onerous taxes in this State.

In Central Texas, it takes $35.000 to maintain the same standard of living that would take $50,000 in PG Co. MD.

For what it would take to make this house accommodate the needs of aging people like ourselves, I can have a brand new custom home in Texas,

Monthly Mtg. in MD is 1/3 higher than the one in TX and that is a 30yr Mtg in Md VS a 20 Yr in TX. (I plan to pay it off in 10 or less).

For those here who are planning their own retirement, be aware that we will be cursed with double digit inflation in the near future. This is how America has always payed down the National debt. When I bought my first house in the 70's Mtg rates were 17% and up. When Nixon was facing re-election he dropped the rate to 9% and I RAN OUT and bought my first house. Pensions and salary's never keep up with the inflation rate, so make your plans carefully and make DAMN sure that income will support you in a liveable manner when the money is fixed and the cost of living is escalating !

Edited by G O B
  • Like 7

Damn good advise GOB!. The wife and I are looking for that perfect spot for a couple of years from now. Texas is high on the list.

One of our forum friends from the lone star state once suggested that everyone who wishes to emigrate to Texas must have at least one gun for every member of the family in order to qualify.

I think we both qualify and then some.

Best of luck in your new surroundings!

Edited by DaveM

Grumpy is headed for Dripping Springs Texas! The hill country is gorgeous and the people are friendly and EVERYONE is into guns!

You have chosen wisely! Austin sucks progressive monkey dick but yes, the hill country is very nice. It you are an outdoorsy type, like me you won't be disappointed.

Brady, Fredericksburg, Kerrville , Marble falls and Gruene all GTG. Check out enchanted rock and go to the top. Was there last fall and we were in the clouds at the top. Very cool.

Just don't be a damn yankee, too many of those here already. Otherwise welcome.

Grumpy is headed for Dripping Springs Texas! The hill country is gorgeous and the people are friendly and EVERYONE is into guns!

. Check out enchanted rock and go to the top. Was there last fall and we were in the clouds at the top. Very cool.

Just don't be a damn yankee, too many of those here already. Otherwise welcome.

Enchanted rock is very cool. There are tons of other sights to see and parks to camp all around texas, OK, Ark. Very nice in the woods or hill country.

No secret here I am leaving MD. Just a heads up for anyone still stuck there, I am giving away almost everything I can't sell, selling some shit and getting the hell out of here. Go to the Maryland shooter's forum for what I have listed there or shoot me a PM here! 

I will be leaving here in a 16' Pods, and towing the Comanche with the Suburban, Everything that does not fit in the 2 HAS TO GO!

I don't suppose there be enough room in the truck for one more to stow away.? big_smile.gif  

I don't suppose there be enough room in the truck for one more to stow away.? big_smile.gif  

Well, if'n ya dress proper, you could always hitch a ride up on the luggage rack I suppose...

JJTkhakitophood.jpg

CONTRACT!

So I signed the sales contract on the MD house yesterday, settlement in mid Sept. will leave for TX on Sept, 11

Look for a "come and get stuff" date here, as whatever does not fit in a 16' Pods or the Suburban and Comanche is going into a dumpster!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Making progress - looks like we just MIGHT make it after all!  4 days to go, then 5 on the road then get camper out of storage set up camper, go to post office, put up mail box, get TX drivers license and tags, get dog shots and tags,

then

Sleep for two weeks!

• Like 3

Congrats, best decision I have made in a long time was to leave MD. I feel for all my buddies still stuck in that state. A lot of good people up there, I'm afraid things are only going to get worse in that state. I thank God every day I'm in Tennessee. Like minded people, low taxes, better cost of living and great gun laws.

Enjoy Texas, Free at Last!!!!!

Making progress - looks like we just MIGHT make it after all!  4 days to go, then 5 on the road then get camper out of storage set up camper, go to post office, put up mail box, get TX drivers license and tags, get dog shots and tags,

then

Sleep for two weeks!

sleep with gun for two weeks.

Took the '99 K 2500 Suburban in to get the tires rotated and the brakes adjusted---- found $1,500 worth of bad. Front rotors, front pads, 1 front wheel bearing, 1 rear seal,rear shoes.

All my tools are packed or given away so it means OPEN WALLET. Try NOT to cry... well it will take a lot more than this to stop me now!