People love to talk about asteroids but the biggest threat from space is sub-atomic particles.  Specifically solar coronal mass ejections, or CME.

The sun fires these shotgun blasts on a regular basis and we get hit by smaller ones from time to time.  The magnetic field protects us from the "normal" ones but one this size will just push the magnetic field aside.

The story says the odds are 12% in the next 10 years of a direct hit by a giant CME.  You would think that with odds that high, with a direct hit a certainty at some point, that we would be hardening our power grids.  That we would put in failsafes on every power station.  But we're not.

And the US and western Europe will suffer most since we're by far the most reliant on the power grid.

The story mentions the Carrington Event of 1854 but doesn't describe the effects of that event.  When that storm hit telegraph batteries exploded from the voltage spike in the lines.  A great deal of the upper atmosphere was ionized.  The northern lights were visible in the daytime at the equator.

Think EMP on a global scale.  Not the kind of EMP that knocks out car ignition systems, but the kind that destroys anything hooked to the power grid.  Huge numbers of transformers will be blown.  From the little transformers on the power poles by your house to the giant transformers at the power stations. 

We have less than 10% spares for transformers in the whole US so it's impossible to replace the blown ones without starting from scratch.  A challenging task in a world with working power grids.  A thousand times more difficult with no power, no fuel distribution, no food distribution, little water distribution.  Roads clogged with inoperable vehicles.  People killing each other in the streets.

It could easily result in a 90% casualty rate in developed nations.

http://news.yahoo.com/earth-survived-near-miss-2012-solar-storm-nasa-222404357.html

• Like 1
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numerous bad actor nations and possibly terrorist groups have weapons of mass destruction.   The Ebola epidemic now raging across three countries in West Africa is three-fold larger than any other ou

If you understand the universe, you wont be too concerned about death. Nobody gets out alive. Your spirit on the other hand, that's up to you.

It is a favorite tactic of the left to mischaracterize the position of the other side.  I would think we here are above that.   Nobody here seems paranoid to me.  What I see is concern.    Is it p

Posted Images

Also, think 1,000,000+ house fires starting within 10 minutes with no working water pumping systems or fire trucks..

70% casualty rates are if the power goes off in summer. 90% and higher if it happens in the winter months.

And remember that most nuke plants will burn, since their back ups are not designed withstand electronic failure.

It is actually a very possible event that we have been aware of for more than 50 years, and there are no plans in place to protect against it.. Russia is actually one of the few places that has infrastructure in place that can withstand a direct EMP hit. They will lose 10%+ of their population or less.

• Numerous bad actor nations and possibly terrorist groups have weapons of mass destruction.  
  • The Ebola epidemic now raging across three countries in West Africa is three-fold larger than any other outbreak ever recorded and we don’t have any border control.
  • Religious fanatics waging war all over the planet killing anyone and everyone who isn’t exactly like them.
  • 12,000,000 illegal people are in this country that we can’t do anything about.
  • Voters have elected Obama twice as president and will elect Hillary in a heartbeat.
  • Nearly a million military veterans are homeless and the government thinks of them as potential terrorist not a group that deserves help.
  • The constitution and bill of rights are used as toilet paper by our elected officials.

And now you tell me the sun is going to wipe out civilization, it better pick up the pace if it wants to do it before the others already ahead of it.

• Like 6

• Numerous bad actor nations and possibly terrorist groups have weapons of mass destruction.  
  • The Ebola epidemic now raging across three countries in West Africa is three-fold larger than any other outbreak ever recorded and we don’t have any border control.
  • Religious fanatics waging war all over the planet killing anyone and everyone who isn’t exactly like them.
  • 12,000,000 illegal people are in this country that we can’t do anything about.
  • Voters have elected Obama twice as president and will elect Hillary in a heartbeat.
  • Nearly a million military veterans are homeless and the government thinks of them as potential terrorist not a group that deserves help.
  • The constitution and bill of rights are used as toilet paper by our elected officials.
And now you tell me the sun is going to wipe out civilization, it better pick up the pace if it wants to do it before the others already ahead of it.

DOCTOR GRIMM !?!

• Like 1

On the other hand the unicorns and elves may put a stop to all these things. There’s the fairytale for the Grimm Dr. haha.gif

• Like 1

Global Pandemic

Asteroid Impact

Coronal Mass Ejection

World War 3

Super Volcano

The Singularity

Or simple economic collapse 

All possible TEOTWAWKI scenarios that are all too possible.

There are some others that are pointless to worry about since they are 100% guaranteed world killers.  Large asteroid impact.  Gamma ray burst.  Black hole wanders through the solar system.  These are not only fatal but undefendable.  Fortunately these scenarios are highly unlikely and no reason to think about them other than an academic exercise.

But for the survivable scenarios, it's just a matter of which happens first.

The biggest problem in our society today is that people have grown up thinking that everything is granted and that nothing really bad will happen to them.  They think that a house and food and water and a cell phone and starbucks are all givens.

When something like Katrina or Sandy happens you'd think it would be a wake up call.  That people would realize that bad things can and do happen and they should prepare.  But to most outside the disaster zones it isn't even real.  It's a story on the news.  Most of us keep sipping starbucks and counting our friends on facebook.  For those that even think about it, too many come to the conclusion that disasters are proof that more government is needed.  OMG a big storm!  Let's vote more dumbocrats into office to protect us!

And the dumbocrats are more than willing to accept that power.  The power to "protect" is the power to control.

• Like 1

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Their are all kinds of plans and reserves in place and ready for these types of events.

You just need to be in Federal government or elitist.

You guys just aren't special enough. :)

I am with Shotgun Messiah...  :up:

Every day I pray to the good Lord above, for just a small miracle... like a 1 kilometer asteroid to touch down in the middle of the atlantic... and DOUCHE the entire eastern seaboard right off the goddamned planet!!! 

Maybe we can get the CME to happen that morning... so no one can WARN anyone about the asteroid... :lol:

It could happen tonight, it wouldnt be soon enough.

:smoke:

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

In all seriousness, I don't look forward to losing my running water and air conditioning.  I like civilization.  I like it a lot.

But I don't take it for granted.  I do my best to prepare.  All while hoping shit holds together until I'm gone.

I am with Shotgun Messiah...  032.gif

Every day I pray to the good Lord above, for just a small miracle... like a 1 kilometer asteroid to touch down in the middle of the atlantic... and DOUCHE the entire eastern seaboard right off the goddamned planet!!! 

Maybe we can get the CME to happen that morning... so no one can WARN anyone about the asteroid... laugh.png

It could happen tonight, it wouldnt be soon enough.

000.gif

This whole planet needs to be renewed. Time for a good old fashioned planet overhaul.  Burn baby burn and lets start from scratch……again.

See you in another 20,000,000 years….. Let the party begin………..

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH
  • Like 1

Everywhere there are signs. 

every single culture and religion  that came and went and a lot of them today all had/have their own "doom and gloom prophecy" with "signs". so  I put all these "signs" in it's rightful category; dark ages superstitious nonsense

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 3

It wasn't nonsense that destroyed the dinosaurs. It's not nonsense that our world runs on fossil fuels. It's not nonsense that our government is choosing to operate on a weak and unstable power grid. Its not nonsense we had 5 ice ages to date. Its fact. And if some of you want to be that arrogant about what could easily happen, go for it. It must be nice living in denial and calling everything tinfoil.

• Like 2

Same feeling as experienced at 11:59 PM on 12/31/1999. 

God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

• Like 1

I left alien invasion and zombie apocalypse off the list because they're nonsense.

Every item I listed has already happened (except the Singularity).  Every one of them will happen again (or for the first time in the case of the Singularity, which is included because it is an unknown). 

They're not some bogeymen made up to frighten children and the weak minded.  Like climate change.  Which actually has happened before and actually is happening now because it has always happened and always will.

Some part of me will be disappointed that I put all this effort into preparing if nothing bad happens.  But I just remind myself that preparing for TEOTWAWKI is like carrying a gun for protection. 

To quote myself:  "The only thing worse than having to use a gun to defend your life is needing to use a gun to defend your life and not have a gun."

It wasn't nonsense that destroyed the dinosaurs. It's not nonsense that our world runs on fossil fuels.

did I say anything like that was nonsense, or there wasn't  ice ages etc... etc... etc.... ? NO. I pointed out, and rightly so, when darth wrote, "Everywhere there are signs." something is coming is nonsense,  or more precisely; dark ages superstitious nonsense. go back just a couple of months ago with this "blood moon" nonsense thread.  

"signs" are for the  frighten ignorant medieval peasant that  believe in that hogwash, which looks like a lot of them are still around in the 21st century

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Mr. Hopkins, while I respect your right to your opinion, I do not appreciate being referred to as a "frighten ignorant medieval peasant " due to my beliefs. To resort to name calling to express your difference of opinion is neither necessary nor flattering to your personal opinion. And after all, yours is just an opinion, same as mine.

• Like 3