• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numerous bad actor nations and possibly terrorist groups have weapons of mass destruction.   The Ebola epidemic now raging across three countries in West Africa is three-fold larger than any other ou

If you understand the universe, you wont be too concerned about death. Nobody gets out alive. Your spirit on the other hand, that's up to you.

It is a favorite tactic of the left to mischaracterize the position of the other side.  I would think we here are above that.   Nobody here seems paranoid to me.  What I see is concern.    Is it p

Posted Images

For years I have tried to get our local volunteer fire district aware of the EMP/CME potential. They look at me with wide, unfocused, glazed eyes. They have no idea what I am even talking about. Then they tell me they don't have the time to discuss any of it.

On a related note about newer fire apparatus getting knocked out because all of the electronical systems are NOT military hard but only cilivian grade. One good EMP or....as stated...a big CME and all of our new rigs are dead fire iron. HB of CJ (old coot) sad.pngsad.png

P.S. We had a brand new water tender, (water tanker fire engine) get stuck crossing a big parking lot speed bump because the computer gliched and would not release the automatic traction control thingie which would have dumped a couple of air bags. Air suspension on a fire engine?

$210,000 for a piece of shit that can not even cross a speed bump...all because of the electronical shit onboard. This is progress?

I am in the process of finding and then installing a Indonesian type breaker point distributer/battery coil ignition for my trusty 1986 Suzuki Kamakazi baby Jeep. Wish me luck. Then I will be quickly shot and killed because I would have a running vehicle after the CME. Yikes!

The event probably occurs every couple hundred years. It happened 150 years ago, so we are due for another any time.. And we currently are very vulnerable to the effects of a massive solar flare.

Governments have worked hard to increase population and reduce the need for food storage on a large scale. In centuries past cities had food stores to keep the population alive for several years. Currently we probably have a couple months worth and most depends on refrigeration.

Its a very legitimate danger than will continue to be overlooked simply because it has not happened yet.

Having at least the ability to get water without power would be wise. Since just about anything can knock out power for a day or two.

Just to clarify, a CME won't knock out vehicle ignitions or portable electronics.  Things hooked to the grid are what will get smoked.

Same thing applies to long wavelength EMPs from high altitude nukes.  Car ignitions and portable electronics will be mostly safe.  If you're close enough to the source of the EMP for your vehicle ignition to be fried you likely have bigger problems.

The fact that there will be no fuel supply is a far more important issue when it comes to vehicles.

• Like 1

The local power company offers a product that is supposed to disconnect power in the event of a lightning strike.

I know the lightning arrestors can do a little good since I have seen them take direct strikes when I worked for an electrician.

What level of power spike are you looking at? 

Logically preventing a house fire in the first hour puts you ahead of the game. So what is needed?

Just build a big ass Faraday cage around your house and have a disconnect for the power. I bought the wife one of those little ones for her I-phone, she was talking about it getting "read" when she went into stores. She thought it was BS, until she put her phone in it and I started sending text msg and calling it. Damn thing worked like a charm. A microwave is supposed to also work as one, but you have to cut the cord on it so it's not plugged into the grid.

I wish now that I had my OLD diesel truck back, guess it's time to drag the 74 Jeep out of the yard and get it running again, but that thing is what got me into "collecting" firearms, she got all pissed at me mud riding and breaking stuff, the money it cost and the wrecker bills to get it out of the woods and back home, not to mention what it was doing to my back, she said I had to find a "cheaper" hobby, so I did. Yeh right   :)  AND, she'll never trust me to ask her to lean out and see if the right front tire is pulling while we are sitting 2ft deep in a stinky ass mud hole  :)  :)  :)  I got cussed for 2 weeks and cut off for a month, but it was funny as hell to see the results of me dumping the clutch and her "mud mask".

And Fukushima...the reactors are still broken, radioactive wastewater gushing into the ocean every day with another disaster waiting to happen if they get a large enough earthquake before removing the spent fuel rods.  Even if they do that, they still haven't cooled the overheated core. 

Lots of doom and gloom scenarios.  It's a really hard balance to prepare, stay calm and go on with everyday life while trying to inform others and not get down about the state of our planet.  The most disapointing thing I hear from people while trying to bring up some of these perfectly valid scenarios is "Eh, I don't like thinking about that stuff.  It's too depressing." 

Are our very survival instincts that trashed?  Hell, at least we can fight and protect family.  The human spirit will prevail. 

And Fukushima...the reactors are still broken, radioactive wastewater gushing into the ocean every day with another disaster waiting to happen if they get a large enough earthquake before removing the spent fuel rods.  Even if they do that, they still haven't cooled the overheated core.

Isnt that where Godzilla came from???  so like, all the godzilla movies are prophesies of the future??? :lol:

If you have a need for a reason to panic, then a global pandemic is the thing MOST likely to strike in our lifetime. There are 7.7 BILLION people on this planet that can comfortably accommodate maybe 3-4 billion , That leaves at least 4 billion of the people on this planet living in squalor and starvation. They are packed so tightly that there is NO effective sanitation, no safe drinking water, and little or no decent medical attention. That means 4 BILLION petri dishes breeding disease and contagion. Add that to the increased incidence of 'super bugs' that are resistant or IMMUNE to antibiotics and ..............

• Like 3

If you have a need for a reason to panic, then a global pandemic is the thing MOST likely to strike in our lifetime. There are 7.7 BILLION people on this planet that can comfortably accommodate maybe 3-4 billion , That leaves at least 4 billion of the people on this planet living in squalor and starvation. They are packed so tightly that there is NO effective sanitation, no safe drinking water, and little or no decent medical attention. That means 4 BILLION petri dishes breeding disease and contagion. Add that to the increased incidence of 'super bugs' that are resistant or IMMUNE to antibiotics and ..............

Well..pandemic does seem to be a fairly real threat. Not sure about the numbers on the planet's comfortable accommodation.

This Ebola crap going around is defiantly frightening shit. I heard some expert doctor fellow on the radio yesterday say that with early treatment they can keep the mortality rate down to 35%. I have a nagging feeling the ammo stock- pile won't help much if I shit my liver out on the floor.

Wide spread disease does seem more likely than a giant radioactive lightning breathing lizard rising up from the depths of the Pacific Ocean.

Eat your veggies and stay healthy people.

Just to clarify, a CME won't knock out vehicle ignitions or portable electronics.  Things hooked to the grid are what will get smoked.

Same thing applies to long wavelength EMPs from high altitude nukes.  Car ignitions and portable electronics will be mostly safe.  If you're close enough to the source of the EMP for your vehicle ignition to be fried you likely have bigger problems.

The fact that there will be no fuel supply is a far more important issue when it comes to vehicles.

This is very interesting,

I keep hearing about every CPU exposed to a CME or EMP going tits up.

Part of the reason I keep the O'l shovel head. It can run with no computer. But not without fuel.

That and the fact that it's like a puppy.

It leaves puddles everywhere it goes, I like that too.

Does anyone else get a "this guy may be nuts" vibe whenever someone whips out that titorwaikiki acronym?

I mean, I know what it stands for, but even saying it smacks of raving paranoia and government conspiracy.

I'm all for being prepared, but there's no use preaching gloom and doom when no one who can actually make

a difference will listen, and all it will do is land you on a list. Moderation in all things. Be prepared, but be low-profile.

• Like 1

Would you prefer SHTF?  How about WROL?  Please tell us what acronym we should use so that you can take us seriously.  Or not.

I get a serious "this guy must be nuts" vibe every time I hear someone say everything will continue as it is.  We can argue what the trigger for the collapse will be but in the end every civilization collapses.  Usually from it's own corruption.  Sometimes from outside forces.  Sometimes from natural disasters.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 3

Would you prefer SHTF?  How about WROL?  Please tell us what acronym we should use so that you can take us seriously.  Or not.

I get a serious "this guy must be nuts" vibe every time I hear someone say everything will continue as it is.  We can argue what the trigger for the collapse will be but in the end every civilization collapses.  Usually from it's own corruption.  Sometimes from outside forces.  Sometimes from natural disasters.

Yep.

I also get the "this guy is not grounded in reality" vibe when they think everything is just fine and will continue that way.

And the pain will be that much more severe because so many are not expecting it at all (or they continue to deny it).

That much panic and chaos will delay any kind of recovery.

Not sure who wrote this.  Evidently nobody is sure.  Sometimes attributed to Tytler.  Sometimes to de Tocqueville. Sometimes others. The two halves may not have been written by the same person. Nevertheless...

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to complacency; From complacency to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.

America has completed the transition from apathy to dependence. And rushing headlong to bondage.

So if no natural disaster gets us first, we'll get ourselves.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 3

Not sure who wrote this.  Evidently nobody is sure.  Sometimes attributed to Tytler.  Sometimes to de Tocqueville. Sometimes others. The two halves may not have been written by the same person. Nevertheless...

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to complacency; From complacency to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.

America has completed the transition from apathy to dependence. And rushing headlong to bondage.

So if no natural disaster gets us first, we'll get ourselves.

I'd sure like to tip a few back with you Saigus.  If you ever come to CO, please let me know.

It's not the acronym; that was a small attempt at humor. Please do me the favor of not assuming there are only two views in this discussion; yours/like-minded people like you

and the oblivious. I don't make a habit of spreading my views, especially on the internet, as that gets noticed. Again, moderation in all things. It's self-defeating to go around

preaching EMP blast and all the rest, because no one will listen to you. Have you written your legislators? Have you college degrees in power generation fields and have

you been published in American tech journals? I'm not trying to compare dicks here, since I haven't written mine either, and my one lone publication has nothing to do

with power generation, but that is how you influence opinion.

If you don't want to do that, and I don't particularly either, then the thing to do is to work on what you CAN change, on your own. That means preparing for disaster, quietly,

discretely, without alarming people. Don't do a lot of talking; do a lot of doing.

The other thing to do is to not give up on our country yet. People died for us to have this country; I won't write it off so easily.

Oh I'm sorry.  Did I alarm someone?

I sure as fuck hope I did.

But you really should make up your mind.  How can people be alarmed if they're not listening to me anyway.  But here's a suggestion.  Don't bother reading my posts if they annoy you.

I'm not discounting anything that has been said in this thread. I just refuse to live in such a paranoid state that it effects my own humanity, especially over something that I personally have no control over whatsoever. Dig your hole, supply it, crawl in, live your own happiness. When you come out an everything is crispy, radioactive, and sterile.... You win!!!

• Like 1

It is a favorite tactic of the left to mischaracterize the position of the other side.  I would think we here are above that.

Nobody here seems paranoid to me.  What I see is concern. 

Is it paranoid to dig a storm shelter when you live in tornado alley?  Is it paranoid to wear a life jacket when boating?  To have an alarm system on your car?  After all, most houses are not hit by tornados, most boats don't sink, and most cars are not stolen.

To recognize genuine threats and prepare for them as much as practical seems quite rational.

And doing these little things makes me happier, not unhappier.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 4

And here I was thinking this thread was about a huge EMP or asteroid or some shit.

I said very clearly in the op that I was talking about a CME.  I talked at some length about it.  I linked to a story about a large CME that narrowly missed the earth.  But why bother reading when it is far easier and more fun to make assumptions and then argue against those.

It's a little technique I like to call skim and slam.

Of course the thread got yanked off course but around here no thread stays on topic for long.

Edited by Darth Saigus