There is so much negative shit out there anymore.  Turn on the TV, radio, hell a CB and it's mostly negative or depressing.  Corruption, disease, crime, etc. etc. freaking etc.

It's too bad that staying positive and sane is somewhat of a chore these days.

I spend many weekends at a lake camping/ fishing with my wife and kids.  I always look forward to trips to the range with friends or alone, makes no difference to me.  Always dig having a couple cold ones with my brother couple times a month.

My wife, kids and I go to a favorite Mexican restaurant every Friday night.  Awesome Fajitas. 

I like to listen to 80's music and bring back memories of childhood and my Dad.

I have a lawn tractor but I actually look forward to push mowing my yard on Saturday.  Crazy but it's relaxing to me.  I think kites are fun.  Cheesy I know but I like to fly kites.  Really.

Just curious what gets everybody else through everyday life this day and age with your head on straight? 

• Like 3

I agree with you tundra, there is a lot of negativity out there. I keep positive by working around the house- seeing something you finished yourself is always rewarding.

My older daughter loves to help me cook- and we look forward to finding new recipes together. Our new choice this weekend is pork tenderloin with red pepper sauce and fingerling potatoes. We both looking forward to it

I also do a lot of long distance running. I'm been kind of slacking on that lately because of healing up from some injuries but I'm looking forward to a marathon somewhere late next year. Nothing better than beating a personal goal.

• Like 3

To get away from all that drama I like to hangout with good friends, spend time with Racegal when I can, cookout, drink beers, play horse shoes, shoot guns, watch and listen to good music. Not much into TV I like to get outdoors when I'm not working and do things in the yard to improve my surroundings, like landscaping or gardening, then harvesting & processing my peppers & tomatoes I grow. Have a disc golf course setup around the property I'm trying to get back into keeping maintained for myself and lots of other folks to come enjoy. Got a big tournament coming up the end of August I'm looking forward to. Been working on improving my firing range some too lately & doing some of that today. When it's too hot outdoors I'm usually either in the shop working on gun parts for others, or doing more custom work to my own guns on an endless quest to keep doing things different than everyone else. Concentrating on all those different things and more like Hmmmm what are we throwing on the grill / smoker tonight??

That helps keep my mind off all the negative drama I see everywhere else. DEFINITELY way too much negativity in today's life if you let yourself get sucked into the vacuum of all the political corruption / doomsday TEOTWAWKI hoopla and other crap. It's all over everywhere whether you tune in to TV, radio, social media, internet forums.... People seem to have completely forgotten we are each in charge of our own daily happiness and future the best we can make of it. Obama doesn't control Shannon's future... Shannon does. That asshole and his posse will be gone soon enough and though yes they are killing the economy I will persevere and so will America one way or another. If everyone else would stay focused on a positive outlook and planning, instead of falling into doom & gloom, I think recovery would be much easier. Anyway yeah it all pisses me off but in a nutshell that is why I don't let it bring me down inside as a person. Used to actually enjoy coming here to associate more with my gun buds online, but I must say with all the negativity going on here too with people stealing from others, defaming others, trying on purpose to harm others financially and personally... hell these days even yapping about lawsuits against forum members...  Wow that really makes folks want to come hang out here more I'm sure. 

NOT

• Like 3

There is nothing better than taking out the bass boat to the river, casting around, & when that little green muther finally makes that "thump" on the line, I let all the frustrations, anger, and harsh feelings flow down that line on the hookset. After we fight each other as bit, I thank God for the opportunity and the fish, & let him go. Wife says I return every time a renewed man, and I agree. They say every day spent fishing is one the Good Lord don't count against you, so I'm gonna fish as many as I possibly can!

• Like 6

Stay strong in your faith.

Stay informed with politics and world news.

Don't be afraid to share the truth about both every day.

I am a  "religious nut"

I am a  "conspiracy theorist"

What I am not, is someone who will shut up and not point out the evil in this world.

The media lies...The politicians lie...The TV corrupts...The Church does not get involved ....

Most people will not look at both sides of any issue....

At the end of each day be thankful that you are alive and able to see through the smoke and mirrors.

Remember, the world has always been like it is now, it's just we can see it more clearly.

So don't let it bring you down ,,,,,,,, try to bring it up.........

IMHO

Edited by read_the_wall
  • Like 4

There is nothing better than taking out the bass boat to the river, casting around, & when that little green muther finally makes that "thump" on the line, I let all the frustrations, anger, and harsh feelings flow down that line on the hookset. After we fight each other as bit, I thank God for the opportunity and the fish, & let him go. Wife says I return every time a renewed man, and I agree. They say every day spent fishing is one the Good Lord don't count against you, so I'm gonna fish as many as I possibly can!

+1 on that!

Nothin' relieves stress the same as a good hookset in a nice bass or whatever your target fish may be that day!  smile.png

post-1293-0-35259700-1406392484_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Get rid of your TV. We got rid of ours 7 years ago for Netflix (and now Amazon), and the ONLY thing I miss is the most current season of Game of Thrones. But we save so much $$ I just buy the blu-rays and still make out better. When we visit family, the News is ridiculous and the kids are confused by commercials. We watch what we want when we want it, and for the kids, everything is curated by us. No crappy shows or accidentally turning on something we dont want them to see.

For national news, there are a variety of websites out there, many without the liberal slant that pervades television. When you want a break, just dont log in for a few days, I guarantee the world will go on spinning. The really important local news gets posted to my local Police, Fire Department, and State Representatives Facebook pages anyway. All I miss from TV news is fluff pieces and overblown crime stories designed to shock you into thinking the world is much less safe that it is.

• Like 3

Get rid of your TV. We got rid of ours 7 years ago for Netflix (and now Amazon), and the ONLY thing I miss is the most current season of Game of Thrones. But we save so much $$ I just buy the blu-rays and still make out better. When we visit family, the News is ridiculous and the kids are confused by commercials. We watch what we want when we want it, and for the kids, everything is curated by us. No crappy shows or accidentally turning on something we dont want them to see.

For national news, there are a variety of websites out there, many without the liberal slant that pervades television. When you want a break, just dont log in for a few days, I guarantee the world will go on spinning. The really important local news gets posted to my local Police, Fire Department, and State Representatives Facebook pages anyway. All I miss from TV news is fluff pieces and overblown crime stories designed to shock you into thinking the world is much less safe that it is.

I like that. Funny thing is, half the time, I read about news online up to a few days before the major news networks airs it, and the other half, they won't air at all because it may not agree with their liberal views. 

• Like 2

Woodworking, spending time with my family, and lately wildlife photography. I got myself a new camera recently and I'm teaching myself how to use it. It's by far the nicest camera I've ever had, but far from top of the line. Trying to stay out of details because nobody really wants to hear complaining, but I need hobbies to keep my mind off other issues. 

DSC_0114_zps9178d73c.jpg

DSC_0115_zps15cbae71.jpg

DSC_0079_zpsc1bfeae4.jpg

DSC_0072_zpsf8bb9bd3.jpg

DSC_0109_zps5fd796c4.jpg

DSC_0110_zpsb49bfec3.jpg

Edit to Add: I didn't realize how big the pictures actually are until I clicked the magnifying glass twice. WOW! The birds were at least 50 feet away. Not the hummingbird, the sparrows.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 5

Just curious what gets everybody else through everyday life this day and age with your head on straight? 

for me, I don't get all wound up around the axle over the things I have no control over. all that does is raise you BP and it's still going to be the same situation, only this time you're just that one tiny bit step closer  to stroking out and ending up drooling on yourself in a wheelchair

• Like 1

Riding a dirtbike is the best therapy on the planet ! There's absolutely no time to think about anything else when riding one. I usually ride every Sunday with a great group of friends. If I miss a weekend or two of riding my general attitude kinda goes to shit.

• Like 1

My serenity comes from a GOOD wife, and the cutie in my avatar. LuLu adopted me a couple years ago, She does a great job of teaching me to "be happy just to be".

Moving out of the "people's repugnic of Marylandistan" is also a great boost to serenity!

• Like 5

Cobra,

I hope to come hang out with you for a day or two in the near future. Sounds like you have it going on there.

Come on & see me bro you're always welcome! I KNOW we will have a blast lol! Cap'n Hero's been wanting to come out too soon. I've had more friends / forum members over to my place in the past ten years than I can count on two hands and prolly my feet even. One day I'd like to host a shoot here for the weekend for those who can make it. Got plenty of room for camping and a big pond for those who like to fish. Gotta get that together sometime...

• Like 2

Hiking, running, working on my car, jewelry making.  ^__^

It's no good to completely ignore things, in my opinion, but it's also been hard to keep the BP low lately.  The whole world seems to be shifting toward upheaval. 

The less I drink and the more I exercise, the better my mood, no matter what I'm exposed to!

• Like 2

I realize I was born with free will. I pretty much do what I want, how I want, and when I want to do it and take total responsibility for my actions. I married a good wife and raised good children. I have a core of good friends that I enjoy seeing. I am fortunate to have been raised by good parents, now that they're gone and due to the way I was raised my brother, sisters, and I are all still very close and live in close proximity to each other. I start each day taking my dog for a walk at 5am when the world is quiet every day, rain or shine and thank the lord for another day on planet earth. Like evil and a lot of you I find solitude in work and tinkering...it's hard to be stressed at other things when the hands and mind are at work doing things you love to do. Most of all I don't dwell on things that are beyond my realm of control.

• Like 7

You said it Mark and one day I'ma get you over here too! When I'm stressin on something and need to take a step back, I know it sounds weird... but I pick up one of my ongoing personal project guns and crack a beer. Look at it. Breathe. Talk to it. Wrap my head around why I stopped last time and proceed to make progress by logically addressing each roadblock. Doing that right now (or have been all day) as a matter of fact. Soon my latest S-12 Bullpup is gonna be kickin major ass!  All it took was to slow down and let the ideas come....

Edit>>  Well that and letting the Sabbath ROLL all day on youtube!  027.gif

Things that make me happy:

-Weekends

-Winter = coyote hunting = mostly just spending time away from it all out in the beautiful desert. I don't call in a whole lot of them and free I get one, I'm usually done for a good couple weeks. Probably get one every 1/4 stands so a lot more time is spent enjoying the journey.

-tanning the hides

-Ordering gun parts

-building AK's or AR's & sharing them all with everyone

-leaning new anything

-sitting in rocky point, Mexico on a warm day eating tacos sipping beer/margaritas on the 4th of July with friends and family at sunset. Then riding quads the next morning after a killer breakfast.

-shooting clays with friends&/family

Would like to get into 100-1000 yard target shooting.

• Like 4

Cobra,

I hope to come hang out with you for a day or two in the near future. Sounds like you have it going on there.

Come on & see me bro you're always welcome! I KNOW we will have a blast lol! Cap'n Hero's been wanting to come out too soon. I've had more friends / forum members over to my place in the past ten years than I can count on two hands and prolly my feet even. One day I'd like to host a shoot here for the weekend for those who can make it. Got plenty of room for camping and a big pond for those who like to fish. Gotta get that together sometime...

Shannon, when you get this together I will make the drive down from WV if you don't mind. Been wishing we could do something like this for a while now.
  • Like 1

What keeps me going?

God. The comfort of knowing that this body may die but my spirit will carry on.

Family. The fact that someone loves me.

Work. A purpose in life and the rewards that come with it.

Recreation. Living in a place that is not unlike a child in a playground.

The world has always been a difficult place. Communications have become much faster and detailed than in the past. I'm sure it sucked just as bad in the 40's as it does now, only you hear about it faster and in more detail.

• Like 3