Is an AR10 your next rifle?

AR-10's are very expensive if you take them seriously, and a DPMS LR-308 is, to AR guru's, not taking them seriously. For a decent AR-10/SR25, most people will tell you $2-3,000.00 minimum. I would personally not mind a mid-range (price and distance) AR-10, but I think I'd also explore other options as well. Seeing as I'm already building a Saiga .308 DMR style rifle, something more battle rifle oriented may be useful to me. Perhaps something like an RFB or FAL. Otherwise, I'd probably end up saving (and it would take forever) for a precision bolt rifle and some nice glass.

There is also the M77 sporters that have been imported recently. They offer a good value comparable to the Saiga. Currently no after market magazines however we are working on it.

I'm going to do a detailed bare bones compliance build. And also a premium parts build showing what can be done with that rifle.

• Like 1

Results will probably be much the same as in your previous post. I already have the S308, S233 and S762 so no Saiga worries here. Anyhow for myself even prior to the ban I’d planned on getting a Mossberg MVP Patrol Rifle chambered in 308.  It’s not a high-end rifle but enough for me as a second 308 plus it accepts DPMS/M14 style magazines.

Edited by Another-Saiga-Fan

Here's a guy who restored the receiver of a M77 to square cut. He also makes his own "muzzle brake". The finished product looks great, but it's a pretty serious modification. These videos are lengthy, so you could just skip to the end of the 2nd one for the finished product.

• Like 1

There is no need to do all he is doing, unless your dead set on having wood stocks. The ace adapter is fairly cheap.

True... He's also using modified m14 mags apparently. You need to get them m77 mags on the market so that when I finally get my hands on an M1a there'll actually be some 20 rounders left. bad_smile.gif

There is no need to do all he is doing, unless your dead set on having wood stocks. The ace adapter is fairly cheap.

True... He's also using modified m14 mags apparently. You need to get them m77 mags on the market so that when I finally get my hands on an M1a there'll actually be some 20 rounders left. bad_smile.gif

That one looks like it might be a 25.  25s are just as reliable as the 20s, just a little longer.  I like 25s and a 10 if I want to do bench work.

I rock my 25s with my M1A.

Not no but hell no.

Eyeballing FALs.

FALs are nice, I ended up with a sweet deal on one and glad I bought it.

As a result of the ban on imported Saiga's, are you going to switch to an AR10 for your next rifle?

Not really.  I'd like to, provided a gas piston version was actually sub 2 grand and built to my specs but I don't see that happening all that soon.  My specs are easy it's just that no one really offers a .308 AR like that right now and I already have different projects to complete.  I need to finish those first.

The dpms g2 recon rifle is pretty sweet.

Ehh, with .308 my preference is at least a 18" barrel however I will buy a rifle with a 20" or longer up to 22" before I would by an 18".  Personal preferences and all.  My FAL has the standard 21" barrel and still sounds like artillery when it goes off.  lol  :D

That one looks like it might be a 25.  25s are just as reliable as the 20s, just a little longer.  I like 25s and a 10 if I want to do bench work.

Not no but hell no.

Eyeballing FALs.

As a result of the ban on imported Saiga's, are you going to switch to an AR10 for your next rifle?

Not really.  I'd like to, provided a gas piston version was actually sub 2 grand and built to my specs but I don't see that happening all that soon.  My specs are easy it's just that no one really offers a .308 AR like that right now and I already have different projects to complete.  I need to finish those first.

SR-762, $1500.00 all day long with sights, $1100.00 without sights. I love this gun, it's a fuken nail pounder.

• Like 1

There is also the M77 sporters that have been imported recently. They offer a good value comparable to the Saiga. Currently no after market magazines however we are working on it.

I'm going to do a detailed bare bones compliance build. And also a premium parts build showing what can be done with that rifle.

Never heard of those before. Here is an article on them:

http://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2014/07/15/zastava-m77-ps-rifle/

Seems they don't have chrome-lined barrels, but they do look decent and at a good price.

Thinking on maybe a PTR. But rember somthing if it is not one of the eairler ones, not asgood. But dont remember why.

PTR's, if I remember correctly, have fluted chambers. It definitely leaves some ugly on your brass. Also, I believe the early ones didn't like either commercial and only fed milsurp, or vice versa. Going off of memory here.

Even better. I want me an M1a with a Sage chassis. Them things is sweet!

Thinking on maybe a PTR. But rember somthing if it is not one of the eairler ones, not asgood. But dont remember why.

PTR's, if I remember correctly, have fluted chambers. It definitely leaves some ugly on your brass. Also, I believe the early ones didn't like either commercial and only fed milsurp, or vice versa. Going off of memory here.

As over sized my chamber is and how bad it mangles brass my s308 might as well have a fluted chamber. And as far as barrel length I don't plan to shoot long range so I prefer a more compact rifle. My s308 is basically a carbine that's got more power.

I tried out a Scout Squad with the EBR stock (Sage), heavy as all get out.  I like mine better.  lol

Not no but hell no.

Eyeballing FALs.

SR-762, $1500.00 all day long with sights, $1100.00 without sights. I love this gun, it's a fuken nail pounder.

I still want a longer barrel, 20 in gas piston .308 AR is what I'm looking for.

I tried out a Scout Squad with the EBR stock (Sage), heavy as all get out.  I like mine better.  lol

I'm just kind of a DMR freak and I'm okay with extra weight within reason. Especially forgiving for the 7.62/.308. I swear it's my favorite caliber (and I wear a necklace everyday I made from a .308 to show for it). super_man.gif  haha.gif My Saiga .308 is probably pushing 12lb. or so already without muzzle device (haven't modded the FSB or threaded it yet), scope, or the 20rd. CSSpec mags I'll be using. If I were making a battle rifle, so to speak, it'd be completely different.

I'm just kind of a DMR freak and I'm okay with extra weight within reason. Especially forgiving for the 7.62/.308. I swear it's my favorite caliber (and I wear a necklace everyday I made from a .308 to show for it). super_man.gif  haha.gif My Saiga .308 is probably pushing 12lb. or so already without muzzle device (haven't modded the FSB or threaded it yet), scope, or the 20rd. CSSpec mags I'll be using. If I were making a battle rifle, so to speak, it'd be completely different.

Yeah if the two foot self propelled logistical capacity is not a problem (humping it over forsaken hill and dale) then yeah your standard DMR get up will work.  For me I'm making my M1A a cross between a battle rifle styled rifle and a DMR.  I want it ready to do what I want it to do when I want it to do it.  I hunt with these rifles.  lol  So yeah weight is more important for my application.

"Ounces equals pounds and pounds equals pain." - Unknown troop

Yes,

an AR10 .308 platform has been on my list, as has a bolt action.

The fore mentioned Ruger SR762 is a contender, as is a Rem 700 BDL (with iron sights).

I already have a Springfield M1A Standard, and I've made a number of accuracy/reliability mods to it.

Shame to have to do anything to a $1200+ rifle, not that it was inaccurate or inherently unreliable, just that it can be better.

Mainly via aftermarket & GI parts and tuning the gas system.

Don't know why anyone is knocking the DPMS LR308, I have one and have NEVER had a problem out of it, other than being a "little" on the heavy side, for me anyway. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's got the standard stock that has some type of "checkering" pattern on the butt, it tears my shoulder up, so I had to put a limb saver on it.

Also have a CZ 550 bolt action in .308, laminated stock, 20 something " barrel and it will shoot the nuts off a fly at 100 yards, but I'll be damned if I'm going to hump this gun thru the woods for very far, it's heavier than the LR308. Now the PTR that I got from a member on here is sweet, shoots good and eats everything I've put thru it, draw back is the roller lock and having to keep so many spare parts, same goes for my Cetme, but they are all nice shooting guns and fun to shoot.

Don't know why anyone is knocking the DPMS LR308, I have one and have NEVER had a problem out of it, other than being a "little" on the heavy side, for me anyway. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's got the standard stock that has some type of "checkering" pattern on the butt, it tears my shoulder up, so I had to put a limb saver on it.

Also have a CZ 550 bolt action in .308, laminated stock, 20 something " barrel and it will shoot the nuts off a fly at 100 yards, but I'll be damned if I'm going to hump this gun thru the woods for very far, it's heavier than the LR308. Now the PTR that I got from a member on here is sweet, shoots good and eats everything I've put thru it, draw back is the roller lock and having to keep so many spare parts, same goes for my Cetme, but they are all nice shooting guns and fun to shoot.

I'm not knocking the DPMS. Hell, it's a good rifle, I'm sure of it, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2014-custom-rifles/ga-precision-gap-10-.html

I know, huge price difference, but by the time you upgrade the DPMS to the status of the Georgia Precision rifle, you probably could just buy the GAP.

Better options are on the table. I'd probably get an M1a over an AR-10. More cool factor. smile.png

Edited by forsaken352

When I was looking for a 308 battle rifle my criteria were simple;

Reliably send sub 4MOA downrange with almost any ammo.

Avoid all the issues inherent in the Stoner design ie DI and tight tolerances.

Simplicity of proven design, again reliability.

The choice was down to FAL or S308 and well lets face it the Saiga was a tool guy wet dream.

So Saiga won by a hair and those are what I bought though I always wanted to give the FAL it's shot.

If I revisit those same criteria, which have not changed since they are logical, the only serious candidate is a good quality FAL.

I know far too many horror stories about Ruger to even contemplate one of their products outside the 10/22.

Same goes for any AR-10, just wont do it.

M1A, no offense but they aint what they used to be. Guess an old build is fine but those go for beaucoup bucks.

So if, and that is a big IF, I decide to spend limited resources on a different MBR it will be FAL.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Rhodes. I think I'd still be willing to give the M1a a chance, though. I'd want the M1a "loaded" model. I've asked on the m14 forums how well the new production M1a's compare to the old ones, and in a nutshell, they all told me that unless I planned to shoot 70k rounds, I probably wouldn't ever notice a difference. Wouldn't mind a nice British or Canadian built L1a1/C1. Be a damn liar if you say it aint sexy...

(borrowed this from another forum)

b61E57.jpg

Meh doesnt really matter like vehicles, recreational drugs, and women its all biased. 

Edit;

Had I to do it all over again and knew what was coming I would possibly have a safe full of Garands and M1 Carbines. Heh hindsight, so useless.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Pre 1986

M-60s nib  $1650.00

Cobray M-11  f/a  $175.00

The first Saiga 12s I  had  cost under $200.00

Best cars are fords from 1923 to 1940  with chevy engines

best guns are the ones you like best, that do what YOU need them to do.

If mag dumps into a berm is your thing.

Or shooting 1000 yd targets

Or multigun

Or coffee table photo ops

We all get to choose...thats where fact and fiction become irrelevant