New member, first Saiga, gas plug question.

Hello everyone. I have been eyeing picking up a Saiga 12 for a few years now, and just never found the right deal. Finally, one came up used the other day for a reasonable price and I snatched it up. Tried it out the other day, and was surprised at the results.

I brought the firearm home and cleaned it thoroughly, tore apart everything in the gas system to familiarize myself with how it ticks. Poking around with a pick tool reveals that it has 4 holes, so off to a good start. Did some reading on here, and put the gas plug to setting 1, just to be safe. At this point I would rather not function on low brass instead of damaging the gun.

I took it to a range and put 10 rounds through of 3" buckshot, no issues at all. So far so good. I followed that with 10 rounds of Remington game loads, low brass. No issues. Threw a mag in with 10 Winchester cheap target loads, and dumped the mag as fast as I could. No issues. After all of the "horror stories", I thought I might be in the clear. So I took it out again yesterday, with 3 shooters and put through somewhere around 50 rounds of bulk pack Federal and Winchester bulk pack target loads. Other than the crappy stock trigger, flawless.

So my only question is, could it be over gassing the system on setting one? Or did I get lucky and end up with a good shooting Saiga 12? Is it worth doing anything additional, like adding an auto plug? I don't want to mess with a working system unless there are benefits or reliability gains in the long run.

Thanks for any help, the forum is great and has lots of info already. I already have a shopping list to convert to AK on my vacation in a week or so.

IMG_20140724_123140946_zps5eiopd0s.jpg

Well, wouldn't hurt to try. Keep in mind I am in no way affiliated with MDarms and am not trying to just advertise a product for them.

http://mdarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_1&products_id=16

(From their website)

"Why do you need to replace the factory gas plug with the MD Arms V-Plug? To prevent damage and accelerated wear to your gun and it's parts. Because even at best, the factory plug with it's limited two settings, leaves your Saiga-12 over gassed with some makes of ammo. Also, depending on your specific gun, the factory plug may allow low brass to function on the high brass setting. If so, that means you basically have a one setting Saiga-12, that is majorly over gassed with everything but low brass... This is mostly to blame on the random start of the threading on the factory plug and in the gas block (please view comparison pics below). Another source of the blame is that the factory plug only has 2 settings. The PKM and RPD have 3 gas settings and fire rifle ammunition that has A LOT less variation in powder charge and projectile weight from one type to the next when compared to the vast array of 12ga ammunition types in 2 3/4", not even considering the array of 3" types. The 2 setting factory Saiga-12 plug isn't even close to sufficient for the variations of 12ga ammo.

When on the low brass setting the MD Arms V-Plug plug better utilizes the gas from the low power ammo, slightly increasing the cycling power of the gun.

And the biggest benefit of the V-Plug is it has 4 different medium to high brass settings. Unlike the factory plug, the V-Plug allows you to adjust the gas system to prevent the high power ammunition types from over gassing your system. The MD Arms V-plug is second to none when considering both factory and aftermarket plugs, in regards to regulating the gas flow in your Saiga-12, PERIOD!"

Doesn't really say, but these guys might have some in stock.

http://dpharms.com/products/saiga_accessories/saiga_12_improved_gas_plug_regulator_by_dph_arms.html

Otherwise, I see they are quite difficult to find. Best bet is to just keep an eye out on Gunbroker, for sale section of forums, etc. I mean you could also try the Tac-47 Autoplug, and I have one and works for me, but my issue was somewhat reverse of yours. Mine didn't feed bulk Winchester #7/12-8, but does with the Autoplug. It's supposed to automatically regulate gas, but shouldn't be used for 3", so if you plan to run mostly low brass, you could go with that option to save beating the hell out of the rear trunnion, but still keep an eye out for the V-plug so you can manually adjust accordingly. That's my best advice.

I like the tac47 auto plug ,adjust it once and never worry about changing settings again , high or low brass , doesn't matter

Just not recommended for 3" magnums. I once tried firing 00 buck through mine (completely forgot to switch it to factory plug), and it just froze. No ejection or nothin'. I guess it must've just overgassed it and bled it off.

I think Gunfun made up an auto-plug that can be given a 1/2 turn to handle the 3" shells.  Basically, the plug is run inverted and the top of the plug is cut to cut down the amount of gas.  More or less like what the factory plug does.

Thanks for the info. I will probably throw in a vplug to try. Not needing e screwdriver to adjust it would be worth it alone. What should I check to see if there is damage from over gassing? Also while I'm asking is there like a must have spare parts list for these guns?

If there's burrs kicked up on the edges of the carrier cam channel.  You will see a burr or pointed indentation in the forward part of the channel where the carrier smacks into the bolt to unlock it.  Also you will see mushrooming on the rear tang where the carrier strikes the hammer.

Had this happen to my #1 gun caused by an oversize gas plug that wouldn't fire 3" on setting #1.  2 3/4" magnum loads beat the hell out of it on setting #2 as they wouldn't work on #1.

Doesn't really say, but these guys might have some in stock.

http://dpharms.com/products/saiga_accessories/saiga_12_improved_gas_plug_regulator_by_dph_arms.html

Otherwise, I see they are quite difficult to find. Best bet is to just keep an eye out on Gunbroker, for sale section of forums, etc. I mean you could also try the Tac-47 Autoplug, and I have one and works for me, but my issue was somewhat reverse of yours. Mine didn't feed bulk Winchester #7/12-8, but does with the Autoplug. It's supposed to automatically regulate gas, but shouldn't be used for 3", so if you plan to run mostly low brass, you could go with that option to save beating the hell out of the rear trunnion, but still keep an eye out for the V-plug so you can manually adjust accordingly. That's my best advice.

We do have these in stock, It is a VERY popular product. Its one that the shop runs each month on a regular basis.