Why aren't Saiga's and VEPR's completely sold out right no

What is keeping you from buying a Saiga or VEPR?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. I haven't bought a Saiga or VEPR recently because:

• I am used to the old pricing and will not pay today's prices despite the sanctions
    • I do not think the current ban through sanctions will last, and I am waiting for prices to fall
    • I am dead broke
    • I have enough Russian AK rifles and Yugo's are looking pretty good right now
    • I would rather put my $ in ammo, which is the next ban coming
    • The government finally figured out how to settle all the debt and make billions at the same time by sanctioning Russia yet buying all the Vepr/Saiga rifles along with the plants and continuing to flood them into the country at panic pricing to the gun lo

I find it interesting that there are still plenty of Saiga's and VEPR's to be had at the moment on several sites despite the importation ban through our POS president via executive order under the guise of economic sanctions. I am curious, especially from the members of this forum, why Saiga's and VEPRs are slow to move despite the current environment. I have been saving money in my gun fund, because I saw the writing on the wall with the first round of sanctions. The next round are coming this week, and some how I don't think it will include Vodka. Just curious to what others are thinking.

Edited by Spacehog

I was wondering this myself. The people on gunbroker haven't been bidding stupidly high prices ( for the most part) and several sites show veprs and saigas in 12 and 39, albeit at higher than recent prices.

I'd love to get a vepr 12 but its just not in the cards for me right now. If i ever see them below a grand again I will. Not that I expect that to happen

Why am I'm not grabbing a Vepr12 and/or another S7.62x39.

Money

Wife & kids going to Disney World in August & I'm taking a week off for fishing in September.

Regular schedule of fishing & shooting.

Bought parts, mags, accessories & ammo, getting more ammo, more ammo & more ammo.

If I buy a Vepr, I will have to drop more money on mags & accessories.

If I buy another 7.62x39, I will have to convert it to suite me.

I only have so much money for entertainment.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 3

A few vendors, marked their stock as "sold  out" only to have "found an extra crate" a few days later at a higher price......... I think people are sick of their shit.

While I am sure that there are some vendors that are doing this, I have seen several keep their prices stable, despite the sanctions. I think it is the importers that are raising prices with the last Stateside shipments, that are forcing vendors to pass along the increases.

Why am I'm not grabbing a Vepr12 and/or another S7.62x39.

Money

Wife & kids going to Disney World in August & I'm taking a week off for fishing in September.

Regular schedule of fishing & shooting.

Bought parts, mags, accessories & ammo, getting more ammo, more ammo & more ammo.

If I buy a Vepr, I will have to drop more money on mags & accessories.

If I buy another 7.62x39, I will have to convert it to suite me.

I only have so much money for entertainment.

I love your priorities Chile. Good job!

What is keeping you from buying a Saiga or VEPR?

how about a choice of;  ALREADY HAVE A SAIGA OR VEPR.

which is what I would have checked.

That would be covered in I already have enough RUSSIAN AKs and Yugo's are looking pretty good right now. :)

This is not the panic we saw last year. If this was an all out "assault" weapons ban there wouldn't be any left on the shelves. The difference this year is the availability of alternatives. It maybe so that I may never be able to purchase a russian 7.62 or 12 gauge ever again. But why should someone panic and purchase a firearm they can not afford when they know AR's or MKA's will be there when the funds are available. That alone takes some of the panic out of the equation. Also keep in mind the availabilty of quality made AK's that can be had from other countries. It would be a different story if all imports were banned.

• Like 4

Well IMO, I dont think they mean as much to other gun enthusiasts as they do us. Yes, we all know about them, but outside of the AK lovers, they aren't really that well known, plus a lot of people dont want to convert them. And with the rising prices that many are demanding, its hard to see people forking out cash for a non converted Saiga when they can get other choices already in a much more preferable setup. Even when the ban wagon was in town, they weren't sold out completely. I seen a bunch on GB that were available with no bids.

But a lot of it comes down to price.

• Like 2

This is not the panic we saw last year. If this was an all out "assault" weapons ban there wouldn't be any left on the shelves. The difference this year is the availability of alternatives. It maybe so that I may never be able to purchase a russian 7.62 or 12 gauge ever again. But why should someone panic and purchase a firearm they can not afford when they know AR's or MKA's will be there when the funds are available. That alone takes some of the panic out of the equation. Also keep in mind the availabilty of quality made AK's that can be had from other countries. It would be a different story if all imports were banned.

I think this is an excellent point. Just the talk of an assault weapons ban after Newtown sold out every semi auto in a couple of days. There are excellent alternatives out there right now. I have been very impressed with the current crop of Yugo offerings from Zastava. I bought a couple of Saigas and a couple of VEPRs right as the sanctions took effect. I looked at it as "an investment that will not lose money". If I have the opportunity to sell a couple for a profit, I will. But overall, I am enjoying having a couple of guns to convert and sell or hold onto either way, and I love Russian AK's. If they didn't need conversion, I would probably love them less.

Honestly, I chose dead broke. My wife recently became ill and we still don't know whats is wrong with her. It has been almost 4 months of being out of work and now I have to support the entire household, which is something I have never had to do before. Next step is the Mayo clinic. Lots of debt the ex wife left me and refuses to pay really puts a strain on things. I have still managed to do some trading so I can feel comfortable with having just enough to know that I can protect my family when/if the time comes. If I had some available funds, I would definitely be picking up a Vepr 12. Personally, saiga's aren't worth what they will be having to convert them and everything knowing I can get about 3 rifles for the same price. or 1 rifle and a good amount of ammo.

Any and all prayers are very appreciated. We are a God fearing family and we know there is a plan. We will find out one day what that is, but right now we just don't know. We have only been together for 2.5 years, married for just over 1, and it's been the happiest time of life. I'm still young and have a lot of life ahead of me. We will get through this.

• Like 5

You left out the most obvious option. I didnt vote.

6. The government finally figured out how to settle all the debt and make billions at the same time by sanctioning Russia yet buying all the Vepr/Saiga rifles along with the plants and continuing to flood them into the country at panic pricing to the gun loving bible thumping rednecks of Murika. They will be rich over night.  haha.gif

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

meh..I have 1 (S12)..not really feeling the whole love with them ..its a shotty and the rifles are bastardized and i dont want to spend any more time or money buying parts for something that i should be able to purchase in the first place...blah blah blah..i have had enuff butt rapes with all this carzy stuff and I walked away last go around and not getting involved this time around..id buy ammo for stuff you have now is my vote

heres is why i am out and will not get butt raped..i have yet to get the butt rape on any deal and everything I have is up huge amount from when i bought it (sans ammo..and a few tapco mags i bought for $14ish..see em cheaper now)..but look at the type of stuff going on..forget it im out

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/14-general-discussion/173138-so-royal-tiger-imports-gave-some-us-big-f-ck-you.html

Edited by snooter

At this point i am so tired of having to worry about ammo supply and parts availability that i very well may never buy a imported gun again (i may rescind that later). Im putting my efforts into reloading 7.62x39 so as long as there's lead, powder, primers, and cases i can keep my saiga and my m92 fed. Maybe in a couple years ill consider any good usa made ak options, but i think its time to look to the ar-15 platform as they cant be banned by a simple 'stroke of a pen'.

• Like 1

I personally think that AK's aren't SOLD OUT because you can buy a Complete AR15 for around $500 right now.

Lowers are stupid cheap. $50.

The Panic of Last year put manufacturers into overdrive and everything is cheap in the AR15 world.

• Like 2

…i think its time to look to the ar-15 platform as they cant be banned by a simple 'stroke of a pen'.

hahahaha....'can't be banned by the stroke of a pen'

You know what i mean, oblah blah can shut off imports way easier on his own than he can ban American made guns. In fact, we are witnessing it now.

I'm thinking ill end up with another s12 instead of a vepr but if by some small miracle we can ever get veprs shipped over again all bets are off.

Chile. I just finished a long distance road race in Disney in January. ( my first time there) if you've never been there, pm me. I can save you a bunch of money. If you have been, then you already know the money pits

Well IMO, I dont think they mean as much to other gun enthusiasts as they do us. Yes, we all know about them, but outside of the AK lovers, they aren't really that well known, plus a lot of people dont want to convert them. And with the rising prices that many are demanding, its hard to see people forking out cash for a non converted Saiga when they can get other choices already in a much more preferable setup. Even when the ban wagon was in town, they weren't sold out completely. I seen a bunch on GB that were available with no bids.

But a lot of it comes down to price.

This right there.

A niche market only has enthusiastic niche followers.

Everyone else just wants "an AK"

• Like 1

I personally think that AK's aren't SOLD OUT because you can buy a Complete AR15 for around $500 right now.

Lowers are stupid cheap. $50.

The Panic of Last year put manufacturers into overdrive and everything is cheap in the AR15 world.

AR's are stupid cheap, and I love to build them. I never thought I would see the day where a beat up Romanian WASR went for as much as an entry level AR.

Still my heart belongs to AKs. There is something about them that I admire over an AR. I would rather convert a Saiga over building an AR any day of the week. Maybe that is the draw and nostalgia for me...being able to make a gun your own from the ground up. Adding some nice wood furniture and refinishing it so that it stands out from the rest. Man I am going to miss those ugly little Saiga sporters.

• Like 3

They aren't sold out because there is so much distraction going on in the media that the enthusiast probably doesn't know about Obama's over reaching gun control grab on his most hated weapons, the ones he intends to use on us once he becomes the new king of the UN, EU and New World Order Union.

• Like 2

The saiga community is a pretty small group in the gun world. Most people don't even know about the sanctions. Most are just fine as long as they can get 30 round mags, an AR, and just about any form of an AK.