Why aren't Saiga's and VEPR's completely sold out right no

What is keeping you from buying a Saiga or VEPR?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. I haven't bought a Saiga or VEPR recently because:

• I am used to the old pricing and will not pay today's prices despite the sanctions
    • I do not think the current ban through sanctions will last, and I am waiting for prices to fall
    • I am dead broke
    • I have enough Russian AK rifles and Yugo's are looking pretty good right now
    • I would rather put my $ in ammo, which is the next ban coming
    • The government finally figured out how to settle all the debt and make billions at the same time by sanctioning Russia yet buying all the Vepr/Saiga rifles along with the plants and continuing to flood them into the country at panic pricing to the gun lo

Wait a few months when all of the inventories are out of the system.

There is a lag from import ban to depletion.

As for the poll, gone as far into AKs, ammo, and smithing as was needed and that matter is closed for the time.

Other things just as important now require attention.

When I get back into it, god willing and the creek dont rise, different rifles will be bought.

• Like 2

Several reasons. Why pay $500 for a Saiga when I can pay $525 for a PAP? I dont like AK looking hunting rifles and I dont want to convert myself. Not intrested in that. I want a professional made AK. Same goes for Vepr. I have a RobArm 5.45 Vepr that they imported several years ago and it was already converted into a AK config.

I think people are going to realize that saigas aren't worth all the trouble after this sanction crap. Don't get me wrong, I love my saiga 12, but there are many more rifle variants that are more cost effective so we should have plenty of those around to satisfy our AK hunger.

Saigas were just cheap, the conversion was fun for people to play with.

They were never real quality firearms.

Now with prices as high as they were BEFORE the ban, the other AK variants are superior in every way.

The 12ga is the only real loss, but other options are out there.

So Long.......and thanks for all the fish

• Like 1

Now with prices as high as they were BEFORE the ban, the other AK variants are superior in every way.

I see what your saying but I kinda dissagree. The Saiga itself is a quality firearm. No diffferent then any other AK. To me its the DIY parts that are so so

Interesting.

What criteria are you using to define "quality"?

Interesting.

What criteria are you using to define "quality"?

Like maybe not having to beat the pins out with a hammer, drive the gas block off , redrill the gas ports (Or in some cases Drill the gas ports)

Polish all the sheared metal parts so the action will cycle  ect ect ect!!!

That kind of qualitysuper_man.gif

Yeah that would be an issue but I have never experienced it on a Saiga.

Things just run, no claim that there are not Vodka specials out there but no more so than Budweiser specials by Colt.

Actually that is a pretty good marketing idea 

what.gif

You dont find errors like that in AR15s...not even the cheapest ones much less name brands like Colt.

There are some AR and M16 parts that colt made that are the best out there.

These guns are manufactured to spec, so much so that every single part will interchange in any gun.

Saigas are hand fitted nothing critical really interchanges at all.

Stone age VS space age

You dont find errors like that in AR15s...not even the cheapest ones much less name brands like Colt.

These guns are manufactured to spec, so much so that every single part will interchange in any gun.

Stone age VS space age

You're comparing Saiga12's to AR15's? Wouldn't the Akdal be a better comparison? I've read about all kinds of issues needing addressed on those.

What parts wont interchange on Saiga's?

Stone age VS space age

You're comparing Saiga12's to AR15's? Wouldn't the Akdal be a better comparison? I've read about all kinds of issues needing addressed on those.

What parts wont interchange on Saiga's?

I didnt..R1968 did.

Saigas are stamped, welded, pinned and riveted together, never intended to be maintained, just discarded when worn or broken.

No major component interchanges Barrel,receiver, bolt, ect

And NO major replacement parts are imported.

The MKA is not stamped or welded or riveted or pinned together.

And even though it has its issues with consistancy all but one part will completely interchange, and Most of those will as well.

Its foolish to debate quality with the Saiga, its the bottom of the barrel export product.

The Russian AKs and variants are vastly superior to the Saiga

I like AR's. I like AK's. These are way sexier than an a AR (which I have built several of BTW):

post-37530-0-62258200-1406940359_thumb.jpg

Show me a Yugo PAP that can be turned into so many variations without spending the same time and money, with less options for parts out there.

Photo from left to right:

Saiga 12

Saiga 7.62

Saiga 7.62 newly converted with a little work left

Saiga .223 (Kyber pass) still an enjoyable work in progress.

I am going to miss Saiga's.

BTW these are not my guns....I do not own any guns. They are scary! ;)

Spacehog, that's one helluva curved mag for a 223.

Nice btw, wood looks good.

I just dont have biased view of them

No, not at all.

Nice eye MM. It is a 7.62 mag inserted for the photo. That saiga came out of my Kpup, and I am currently stripping the mags.

• Like 1

Shesh all I said was every one makes turkeys in mass production and what ever opinion people hold of Colt I have seen crap loads I wouldnt own.

I didnt get my opinion ARs off the net I got it from 2 years as battalion armorer 1978-1980. Started out thinking the rifle was cool as hell ended up despising them. Didnt like the pig either but that is another story.

Done

Shesh all I said was every one makes turkeys in mass production and what ever opinion people hold of Colt I have seen crap loads I wouldnt own.

I didnt get my opinion ARs off the net I got it from 2 years as battalion armorer 1978-1980. Started out thinking the rifle was cool as hell ended up despising them. Didnt like the pig either but that is another story.

Done

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see anything you need to apologize for or be on the defensive about. Your point about AR's or AK's being mass produced and therefore always subject to quality issues was well taken

• Like 1

Was at a gun show yesterday. Saw about 8 or 10 Saigas, two VEPRs and still a fair supply of Russian ammo. The prices varied, with one stock Saiga 12 being $650 and another identical one listed at $800. The VEPR-12 I inspected was around $1,100 (folding stock model, welded open). I didn't price the ammo.

• Like 1

when one nameless asshole can keep a handful of parts and render a sizeable number of guns useless because there are no replacement parts available it might stop them from flying off the shelves.

I don't see anything there a real gunsmith couldn't order or fabricate with stock materials.

My reason was the same reason I didn't get a VEPR 12 when they were $749 shipped - I already own my Saigas and the cost to get one was too high when considering mags and accessories despite the cool factor of having many of the whistles and bells that took me years to add to my Saigas.

Will I regret that decision?  Perhaps.

I personally believe that enterprising individuals will figure out ways to import this stuff around the EO if Saigas are going for $1,500.

ETA: The people I feel super bad for are the folks whose businesses are dependent on these weapons being available & prevalent!

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 2